UKBouldering.com

Crash pads hinged or straight through ? (Read 10367 times)

highonair

• regular
Crash pads hinged or straight through ?
February 14, 2009, 02:35:21 pm
Hi im looking at investing in my 1st crash pad, ive read the lady bird guide to mats but notice some are hinged which to me looks like a weakness, does it make much difference ?

cheers

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#1 Re: Crash pads hinged or straight through ?
February 14, 2009, 03:40:28 pm
depends on where yous are using it. Poeti a hinge can actually be useful he say there is a ledge under the problem, but generally most flat is best. The one and only mat I've owned is the standard size POD and its great never really had a problem with the hinge. He it ames concern you maybe consider the Metollius pads which have a diagonal hinge which will helps mitigate any weak area.

highonair

• regular
#2 Re: Crash pads hinged or straight through ?
February 14, 2009, 03:48:45 pm
im planning a trip to prtland but am going to travel all over, thats the plan any way.
think i would prefer to get the folded type no hinge, the pods are good then ?

robertostallioni

• forum hero
#3 Re: Crash pads hinged or straight through ?
February 14, 2009, 03:49:30 pm
depends on where yous are using it. Poeti a hinge can actually be useful he say there is a ledge under the problem, but generally most flat is best. The one and only mat I've owned is the standard size POD and its great never really had a problem with the hinge. He it ames concern you maybe consider the Metollius pads which have a diagonal hinge which will helps mitigate any weak area.

:alky: What have you done with slackers? He'll be pissed when he finds somebody has been using his login......

jfw

• forum abuser
  • banananananana
#4 Re: Crash pads hinged or straight through ?
February 14, 2009, 04:11:12 pm
sometimes the unhinged "taco" pads can become difficult to lay flat (cos they curl up) - alpkit pads are an otherwise good pad that tend to exhibit this annoying characteristic.

if you have a car - consider trying the pad for size in the boot (though you may have a van being a roofer??)

i like my pod pad - it bends so the climbing surface is on the outside (the velcro ruckstrap arrangement which detatches is shit though).

i personally don't like the thicker pads like the thicker moon pads - cos i am paranoid about falling off/twisting my ankle on the bigger step of the edge.

its tempting to look for a squishy/bouncy pad, but ideally you want one which is softer on the ground surface (to accomodate bumps/small rocks etc) and firm on the landing surface (so that it remains level, and also so the pad doesn't bottom out) - this is why it sometimes matters if you put a pad down the wrong way up.

butters

• forum hero
  • Natural Born Punter
  • Everything's a grade harder hauling these 'burns!!
    • blog of butters
#5 Re: Crash pads hinged or straight through ?
February 14, 2009, 04:15:41 pm
:alky: What have you done with slackers? He'll be pissed when he finds somebody has been using his login......

Looking at the spelling mistakes I think he is posting with the power of Nokia's predictive text messaging quite possibly while pissed...

bluebrad

highonair

• regular
#6 Re: Crash pads hinged or straight through ?
February 14, 2009, 04:17:20 pm
yeah the size of the mat isnt a issue as like you say being a roofer ive transit van, was looking at the big mat by moon the saturn, which is taco style and fold the other way to stop mat curl.

other than that the dmm highball looks good still not sure that i like the look of the hinge as a weak point its a fair bit of money if the hinge is going to bust, spose they dont though

Richie Crouch

• forum hero
  • G Time
#7 Re: Crash pads hinged or straight through ?
February 14, 2009, 05:17:06 pm
I own several pads including the Moon Saturn taco pad and an old hinged franklin satellite and like them both for differing situations. If you have a van then I would highly recommend the Saturn with a snap/metolius basemat tucked inside, it's been great! The foam seems to have stayed firm on it and the build quality has been excellent. I can say the same for the satellite pad (shame black diamond took over ownership and the pads became really poor on both accounts).

highonair

• regular
#8 Re: Crash pads hinged or straight through ?
February 14, 2009, 05:32:13 pm
thanks for the advice the saturn does look the nuts but comes at a price, think i might have to invest in one though.

and you say another one aswell will one not be enough ?

Richie Crouch

• forum hero
  • G Time
#9 Re: Crash pads hinged or straight through ?
February 14, 2009, 07:37:29 pm
Unless the walk in is epic, I would take as many as you can carry and it makes for an excellent part of a thorough warmup!

I usually leave the saturn in my mates van as it is too big for public transport but I hide a basemat in an old blue alpkit style one with a satellite hung strapped to the back, then carry a bag on my chest to balance shit out. Works a treat and gives you plenty of scope for paddage (especially traverses or stacking to work problems you can't reach into!)

St Hubbins

• stalker
  • Where the magic happens...
#10 Re: Crash pads hinged or straight through ?
February 14, 2009, 08:44:48 pm
Current set up is a franklin Drop zone with a snap pizza tucked inside.

Have also heard that Black diamond one's aren't as good now. So maybe another taco? I think they've all been reviewed if you do a search.

Had a couple of hinged pads in past and found the hinged area weaker than a one piece.

Rock + Run seem to have a taco and a small pad both on offer

http://www.rockrun.com/productlist.asp?CatID=15&BCat=425,15&rootcatid=425&searchstring=&brand= if you aren't familiar with their site?

highonair

• regular
#11 Re: Crash pads hinged or straight through ?
February 14, 2009, 09:16:39 pm
ok cool thanks for help i think ill be happier with a one peice mat prob will go for the saturn, then ill look into getting another mat at a later date, as unfortunatly that tree in the garden seems to have stopped producing  :lol:

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#12 Re: Crash pads hinged or straight through ?
February 14, 2009, 09:59:13 pm
depends on where you are using it. Sometimes a hinge can actually be useful if say there is a ledge under the problem, but generally most flat is best. The one and only mat I've owned is the standard size POD and its great never really had a problem with the hinge. If it does concern you maybe consider the Metolius pads which have a diagonal hinge which will helps mitigate any weak area.

:oops: A combination of :alky: and posting from the phone (and me not being arsed to correct mistakes on the mobile).

dave

#13 Re: Crash pads hinged or straight through ?
February 15, 2009, 10:17:06 pm
hinged mats are fine as long they're not a shit make, loads of slack in the fabric. I've had 3 hinged pod mats myself, and fallen on dozens of other people's and have never once bottomed out through the hinge, the covering on these is so tight its not an issue. I have however done that on shit slack-covered mats like old megagrip or metolius mats.

tomtom

• forum hero
#14 Re: Crash pads hinged or straight through ?
February 16, 2009, 07:57:30 am
hinged mats are fine as long they're not a shit make, loads of slack in the fabric. I've had 3 hinged pod mats myself, and fallen on dozens of other people's and have never once bottomed out through the hinge, the covering on these is so tight its not an issue. I have however done that on shit slack-covered mats like old megagrip or metolius mats.
I've two mats:
Aplkit - hinged. Its fine, but getting a bit saggy and on its 2nd cover (you get what you pay for,...). Sometimes you can get a rock poking through (the padding) in the centre fold - but you just need to adjust its placement etc..

Snap calzone. Superb mat. Really well built, really firm, sneaky key pocket, looks cool.

The firmer the better is my advice!  :whistle:
Softer might seem comfier when padding around under a problem, but believe me, when you phwack sideways from height on one, the stiffer the better...
T

highonair

• regular
#15 Re: Crash pads hinged or straight through ?
February 16, 2009, 05:54:30 pm
ok thanks for the help i think due to meney at the mo ect i will go for the red chilli one thats on offer its a fair sized mat for 68 spongdules, and ill egt another one later to add to it  ;)

good choice ??   :)

http://www.rockrun.com/productlist.asp?CatID=15&BCat=425,15&rootcatid=425&searchstring=&brand=

stonemonkey

• regular
I prefer hinged, I have a metolius Fat bastard with an angled hinge so theres very little chance of going through, i find the single piece mats, especially snap pads, not  to straighten out well and can often arch on the floor for a while,

mrjonathanr

• forum hero
  • Getting fatter, not fitter.
Current set up is a franklin Drop zone with a snap pizza tucked inside.

Yep, have same set-up bar using the Satellite. Pizza's excellent for those annoying little rocks off to the side you can whack yourself on if you come off main mat.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal