UKBouldering.com

scarpa booster (Read 4424 times)

Duma

• forum hero
scarpa booster
February 13, 2009, 01:36:22 pm
So I've had enough of 5.10 heels, and having just come into possesion of a wadge of vouchers for snow and rock, I'm looking at what they stock in the way of boots. I'm leaning to the katanas assuming they fit ok, but was interested if anyone's tried the scarpa booster? looks good:

But I know scarpa get/used to get a lot of stick on here - anything changed? If they're good enough for Dave mac and Earl...

Krank

• junky
  • VIVA LA CHAPEL
  • Its meant to be hard
#1 Re: scarpa booster
February 13, 2009, 01:56:50 pm
i have got a pair of the slippers and i think they are great. I only wear them inside, on steep boards, but they do the trick and seem to be lasting well. But, if i had to pay full price i would buy Dragons.

Drewski Rootbitch

• addict
#2 Re: scarpa booster
February 13, 2009, 02:19:33 pm
I've had a pair of boosters for a year or so and they're okay.
Not good, just okay.
A bit clumsy and fat toe-ed, ergo crap in small pockets & small edges.
Good heel, worryingly comfortable.
Fine down the wall if you just want to train, but if you actually wanted them to perform, you'll probably be disappointed.
Durability very good. Stretched a bit I guess, but I can't really recall.
But because of the clumbsy feel I won't be getting another pair.
If they're free or very cheap they'll be okay. But otherwise........prhhht.

Duma

• forum hero
#3 Re: scarpa booster
February 13, 2009, 03:52:12 pm
Cheers guys, I would like some dragons but sadly S&R don't stock them, so I'm restricted to what they've got in if I want to use these vouchers (I've got £50 worth so they'll be cheap, but then so would anything else they stock). Would be looking to use them outside a fair bit, though mostly indoors - I'll try them on anyway and see how the fit is - I do like a good heel see.

moose

• forum hero
  • Lankenstein's Monster
  • el flaco lento
#4 Re: scarpa booster
February 13, 2009, 07:10:05 pm
I quite like the Boosters - quite aggressive but comfortable with it - a decent choice if you want something for long sessions on steep ground.  For me the heals are the only let down - they're a bit baggy at the sides.   

The Katanas are a better shoe, but aren't really an alternative to the Boosters as they're a far more "neutral" shape (flat and relatively symmetric - more akin to 5.10 Anasazis).   If S&R stock Sportiva, and you want something aggressive, can you get some Sportiva Venoms?  They're brilliant for steep ground - the Sportiva version of V10s / Dragons (or at least they were until the Solutions came out).

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
  • "There's no cure for being a c#nt"
#5 Re: scarpa booster
February 13, 2009, 09:23:55 pm
I bought a pair of Boosters after years of Anastazi Velcros. I found them not quite as good for big blank smears, better on small, ripple or dent smearing and heaps better on edges and pebbles and generally a lot more comfortable than the 5.10s - especially on the top off the toe knuckles. Sam at the works gave me a top tip when sizing them - put them on and keep them on for half a minute or so (until they hurt) then take them off - wait a minute or two and then put them back on. The second time you put them on they feel loads more comfortable and gives you a better idea of how tight you can go.
The heel is a good snug fit.

stonemonkey

• regular
#6 Re: scarpa booster
March 02, 2009, 06:42:18 pm
ive just got a pair of these and off first impressions they are great, far better fit then five tens, i did try on a pair of dragons, however the boosters fit far better. They are only any good on steep stuff though, absolutely pants on anything else. But id recommend them, especially if you can get them for a good price.   :thumbsup:

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal