UKBouldering.com

NNFN!!!! (Read 891278 times)

J.Kydd

• player
#2350 Re: NNFN!!!!
September 12, 2016, 12:31:46 pm
Cracking day bouldering at Portland yesterday with a couple of much stronger boys, Tom Bunn and Walker Kearney
Warmed up at 7a (which is my current best) and managed to send Devil Face in about 4 tries. YES!! Here I am now thinking that today could be a day of multiple 7's. How wrong I was!

Spent the whole rest of they day climbing well & hard on stuff, but all of which seemed just out of reach :(

Got to the Lighting Strike boulder right at the end of the day and after working out the moves felt like this suited me really well and would go. My first 7a+ would be a spanking end to the day
Psyched up, went for it, and dropped the very last move  :wall:

Had a couple more token efforts but I was totally gassed by this stage. NNFN

Nibile

• forum hero
  • Part Animal Part Machine
    • TOTOLORE
#2351 Re: NNFN!!!!
September 12, 2016, 12:48:56 pm
This is the closest to a YYFY a NNFN post can get.

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#2352 Re: NNFN!!!!
September 12, 2016, 01:04:48 pm
This is the closest to a YYFY a NNFN post can get.

Yup - great day out, tick PB, climb well, get close on a few probs that you can get back on next time, end day exhausted but without injury. An away win in my books.

tommytwotone

• forum hero
  • Southern jessie turned Almscliff devotee
#2353 Re: NNFN!!!!
September 12, 2016, 01:05:50 pm
Do we need a new thread for Humblebrag Humblebrag Fucking Humblebrag?

J.Kydd

• player
#2354 Re: NNFN!!!!
September 12, 2016, 02:02:11 pm
Haha, you're telling me, I'm an emotional wreck!

Should be basking of YYFY of my sendage, but can't help feel the weight of the end of day NNFN

SA Chris

• forum hero
#2355 Re: NNFN!!!!
September 12, 2016, 02:46:54 pm
Sounds like you need a few more really shit days to appreciate the good ones more.

danm

• junky
#2356 Re: NNFN!!!!
September 12, 2016, 03:52:34 pm
'You never know what worse luck your bad luck has saved you from.'

Nibile

• forum hero
    • TOTOLORE
#2357 Re: NNFN!!!!
September 12, 2016, 04:50:09 pm
Thou wert wise to chisel for me:   
“Taken from the evil to come.”

tomtom

• forum hero
#2358 Re: NNFN!!!!
September 15, 2016, 07:37:01 pm
To continue the theme of partial NNFN's or more like Yes Yes fucking NO!....

Tomorrow I'm off to a conference in Fort Collins, Colorado.

Yup folks - thats about 5 miles from Horsetooth Reservoir where J.Gill put up all those classics. Pretty much as soon as the 2 day conference ends, I have to come back home (baby duty etc..)...

I packed my rock boots just in case, but its not going to happen :(

(Blunk - in case you read this hello! If I'd been any more organised and had free time I'd have been in touch.. hope all is going well!)

webbo

• forum hero
#2359 Re: NNFN!!!!
September 15, 2016, 09:30:28 pm
Buy a couple of big lanterns from the nearest army surplus and sod the networking.

SA Chris

• forum hero
#2360 Re: NNFN!!!!
September 16, 2016, 09:08:21 am
"I feel a bit jetlagged I might skip the reception and go lie down" - headtorch, rockboots, jobs a goodun.

In fact second thoughts, with jetlag you will be awake at about 4 am anyway, must be light by 5, and these things only get going by about 10

tomtom

• forum hero
#2361 Re: NNFN!!!!
September 16, 2016, 09:50:34 am
Ahh... nice try but.... I'm an invited (and expenses paid) speaker - and it's for a small select group of about 30... so if I'm not there it'll be bloomin obvious... I may have 2-3 hours in the final afternoon free see ifnanone local at the meeting climbs - these meetings are often in fantastic locations, but as you spend most of your time listening to talks in an airconditoned windowless room you may as well be at a travel lodge in Slough :)

tomtom

• forum hero
#2362 Re: NNFN!!!!
September 19, 2016, 03:54:43 pm
Just leaving Fort Collins - to rub it in my Hotel room had a mountain view - the boulders are just over the Hill from the big A on the hillside :(

SA Chris

• forum hero
#2363 Re: NNFN!!!!
September 19, 2016, 03:56:31 pm
Looks steep!

tomtom

• forum hero
#2364 Re: NNFN!!!!
September 19, 2016, 04:11:30 pm

SA Chris

• forum hero
#2365 Re: NNFN!!!!
September 19, 2016, 04:15:38 pm
Ah, or you are 1/4 the way round the world?

tomtom

• forum hero
#2366 Re: NNFN!!!!
September 19, 2016, 04:17:31 pm
Not sure - 5000ft up though...

kelvin

• forum hero
#2367 Re: NNFN!!!!
October 16, 2016, 09:33:55 am
It's not been the best year on the vehicle front. After the last van was written off in France, I got busy converting another one but it's been constantly beset by electrical gremlins since I've had it. The last two months have seen it living down at the garage permanently but on Friday, I picked it up and yesterday took it for a 60 mile run - it never missed a beat. The EGR is blanked, cat and silencer removed, new earth straps everywhere and sensor after sensor replaced and what a difference finally. All the live data reading as it should.

So decided to head back homewards, listening to some late nineties Oakenfold when this happened...

It seems to the driveshaft bearing on the gearbox decided to collapse. One broken housing.

You really couldn't make this year up.

tomtom

• forum hero
#2368 Re: NNFN!!!!
October 16, 2016, 09:53:39 am
As a yoof, there was an old man - Turkish I think, with a workshop and inspection pit who used to help us with the odd thing too complex to fix by the road/under the car. He used to repeat "Car - money - fuck" with lots of disparaging had gestures... he was right then and still is now. Unlucky Kelvin :(

Fultonius

• forum hero
  • Was strong but crap, now weaker but better.
    • Photos
#2369 Re: NNFN!!!!
October 19, 2016, 05:16:21 pm
Gutted for you, you're having no luck.  Should be able to pick up a recon box?

kelvin

• forum hero
#2370 Re: NNFN!!!!
October 19, 2016, 05:57:02 pm
I'm having luck - it's just generally bad  :boxing:

I did have a bit of good luck however - seems the casing survived when it let go, so it's being dropped off the van in a week or so and being rebuilt by the local guru. New bearings etc. At least that way, I know it's actually been reconditioned and not just an old box sprayed silver.

My shoulders are in no fit state yet for a winter in Spain climbing, so it's not the end of the world.

fatneck

• forum hero
  • Fishing Helm
#2371 Re: NNFN!!!!
October 20, 2016, 11:05:47 am
Have suffered with back stress on and off over the years and three months ago I trapped my sciatic nerve doing a fair amount of lifting at work and lost the feeling in half of my left foot.

Despite a course of Gabapentin and two physio appointments (with different physios = different diagnosis - one thought it was my not inconsiderable arse and the other was sure it was a slipped disc), I still have no feeling in half my foot and a pronounced limp. Hasn't really affected my climbing since I got used to it apart from outside edging. Went back to the GP and got referred for an MRI yesterday.

I've had zero back pain since trapping the nerve and have kind of settled back in to normal life which at work means a fair amount of shifting of crates (we run the North Liverpool Foodbank) but I suddenly came to the realisation that no back pain might actually be a bad thing! This has made me worry more, hence my post...

It feels good to share...  :wave:

Anyone else had experience of this? Interested in timescales etc...

Nibile

• forum hero
    • TOTOLORE
#2372 Re: NNFN!!!!
October 20, 2016, 11:33:49 am
I had a classic sciatic nerve compression years ago, due to cycling. That sonofabitch of the piriformis muscle.
A few days of hell spent in bed with antiinflammatories left me feeling better, but my right foot was quite numb on the external side, and my heel remained numb for quite a long time.
In the end it went.

Oldmanmatt

• forum hero
  • At this rate, I probably won’t last the week.
  • Largely broken. Obsolete spares and scrap only.
    • The Boulder Bunker climbing centre
#2373 Re: NNFN!!!!
October 20, 2016, 11:53:11 am
I've had, since a surfing accident in ~'96, four Epidurals and numerous Physios and even tried Chiropractic (waste of time). Mine was a 4/5 lumber disc hernia. I had bouts of complete paralysis in my left leg, first for a four month period, around three months after the accident that lasted until my first Epidural. I have, however, been virtually pain/symptom free for a decade now. My last Physio, a German trained Brit, I met in Dubai; convinced me that it was principally a matter of core stability and strength.
Since then, as long as I keep my core strength up (and weighted dorsal raises are the staple here) I remain symptom free. If I let it slide, a twinge of sciatica soon hounds me back to the gym.
Do not, ever, do sit-ups; they are the devils own.
I do a single, rather major, core session each week; of mainly bar and ring based stuff.

Edit,
Sorry, I should say, I've always been strong and active; I had to take the core strength up a notch from the norm and become somewhat obsessive about it. Look at Gymnastic training for that level. It's quite achievable and requires very little equipment, even when you progress to weighted movements; ankle/wrist weight suffice.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: October 20, 2016, 11:59:26 am by Oldmanmatt »

fatneck

• forum hero
  • Fishing Helm
#2374 Re: NNFN!!!!
October 20, 2016, 03:34:47 pm
Cheer Lore and Matt, since starting my new job I have struggled to fit Pilates in and going from two sessions a week every week to one every blue moon I'm sure has had an impact!

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal