UKBouldering.com

NNFN!!!! (Read 891341 times)

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
#1925 Re: NNFN!!!!
July 10, 2015, 03:04:37 pm
I'd be amazed if a ball could break an upstairs double glazed window (unless it was a proper cricket ball, unlikely).

Our big dining room window gets regularly battered with cricket shots that leave it vibrating (plastic ball but pretty dense/heavy) and so far it's survived.

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
  • "There's no cure for being a c#nt"
#1926 Re: NNFN!!!!
July 10, 2015, 03:32:58 pm
pretty dense

don't hear that very often

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#1927 Re: NNFN!!!!
July 10, 2015, 05:21:03 pm
I'd be amazed if a ball could break an upstairs double glazed window (unless it was a proper cricket ball, unlikely).

Our big dining room window gets regularly battered with cricket shots that leave it vibrating (plastic ball but pretty dense/heavy) and so far it's survived.

It hasn't.

Upon returning home and looking at it myself it transpires that my wife can't tell the difference between cracks on the outer and inner pane of glass.  These are on the inner and there is no indication of any impact on the outer pane so I owe the local scrotes an apology.

They were installed three years ago and I called the company today and explained what had happened (wife returned home to find them like that, no impact).  They very quickly retorted that "cold-cracking" (caused by contraction/expansion due to changes in temperature) was only covered by a one year guarantee and that the ten year guarantee only covers materials used in the frame and workmanship.  I asked for someone to come out and assess it but was told they didn't need to and would just get a quote sent out for replacing the glass (no idea how they seal/vacum the double glazing when its in situ).  I checked the temperatures and low Wed/Thursday was 8C high Thursday was 17C and I'd hazard a guess there have been greater differentials than that over the last three years.

Whether its "cold-cracking" or not I'm of the mind that glass shouldn't be breaking in such a manner within three years.  Done some reading and reckon it should be covered under the "Sales of Goods" act that states items should be "sufficiently durable" so will not be lying down.  The company are members of The Glass and Glazing Federation who act provide a free "conciliation service" so that will be my first port of call if the company are being awkward.

Not exactly small cracks either they extend more than halfway down the height of the window...

Ballache to sort out who's responsible and also for the work to be done as there is stuff in that room which can't be moved out of the way without dismantling it and taking it out of the room.  >:(
« Last Edit: July 10, 2015, 05:33:36 pm by slackline »

tomtom

• forum hero
#1928 Re: NNFN!!!!
July 10, 2015, 05:24:01 pm
They'll measure up a new glass unit  - then come and fit it. Just unclip some plastic on the inside of the frame - couple of clips and swap it over. Sherioushly its a 5 min job if they have a replacement... Zero mess. Happened with mine when it was first fitted.

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#1929 Re: NNFN!!!!
July 10, 2015, 05:33:17 pm
Great if its a simple job reduces the hassle of clearing the space, however  I don't think I should be paying for it.

jonsse

#1930 Re: NNFN!!!!
July 10, 2015, 05:58:33 pm
Take one or two of beads that hold the glass in off, start at in the middle with paint scraper type thing then old chisel or something to un clip it. They just 'pop' off. Its hard to damage them.
If the unit is tight up against the frame inside then its defo installers fault ( there should be 5mm ish gap all around for expantion(sp.?) .
Personally think the cold shock thing is bollox otherwise it'd happen all the time ??, plus it prob. should be toughened if its a window you could fall into.(building regs.)
To put the beads back on, bend it in the middle, put each end into its corner and tap with rubber hammer till it all clicks back onto place.

cheque

• forum hero
    • Cheque Pictures
#1931 Re: NNFN!!!!
July 27, 2015, 11:58:15 am
Turns out the driver from my hit-and-run yesterday (see my Power Club post for farcical details) was uninsured so, as I only have third party insurance, I can't claim.

But my premium will increase as a result of contacting my insurers about it.

Wood FT

• forum hero
#1932 Re: NNFN!!!!
July 27, 2015, 12:01:47 pm
Turns out the driver from my hit-and-run yesterday (see my Power Club post for farcical details) was uninsured so, as I only have third party insurance, I can't claim.

Can't be sure but it's worth having a word with the Motor Insurers Bureau to see if they'll cover your damages.

http://www.mib.org.uk/Submit+a+Claim/en/Default.htm

It won't help your premium but it will take the sting out of the wallet.

sxrxg

• obsessive maniac
#1933 Re: NNFN!!!!
July 27, 2015, 02:02:23 pm
From the fracture pattern you can tell that the glass is not toughened (not a legal requirement unless the glass is within specific zones defined in the building regulations). As the glass is not toughened thermal fracture could still be the cause - the fracture will be exactly at 90° to the edge if thermal fracture is the cause (this cannot be seen in the photo due to the frame).

From the cracking in the picture however it would appear that the glazing has been tight in the frame and the crack has occurred from pressure being exerted on the edge of the glass - this is an installation fault. When they come to remove the glazing you need to inspect the inside of the frame, where the crack has originated from, for any protruding screw heads (the most likely cause) or other hard object that would cause the glazing to be tight. You should also inspect the edge of the glass at the crack origin to see if there is any sign that a hard object has been pressing against the edge of the glass.

Depending on the installer and how they operate that may try to break the glass further and tell you this is to remove it from the frame, this does not need to be done and is merely to stop inspection of the insulating glass unit once it has been removed (if you see a dispute coming over replacement costs I would try and keep the broken unit). Also they may try and fob you off by saying that the compression of the glass is due to building movement, this can sometimes be the issue however it is very difficult for the installer to prove.

Generally if you stand your ground I can't see any decent installer damaging their reputation for the costs of replacing a single small insulating glass unit. As has already been stated it should only be a 15 minute job to replace and the glass should cost <£50 depending on the glass specification.

tomtom

• forum hero
#1934 Re: NNFN!!!!
July 27, 2015, 02:31:05 pm

Time to find a lawyer?...

cheque

• forum hero
    • Cheque Pictures
#1935 Re: NNFN!!!!
July 27, 2015, 02:39:27 pm

I don't have any details about the driver unfortunately- the number plate on their car is simply not on insurance databases (I checked it on the road tax/ SORN website too- unknown) so I don't think there's anything I can do besides report the incident to the police, which I did yesterday.

Luckily the only damage to my car is to the bumper (it blends in even better with the rest of it now- it's a shitheap that I've scraped against a multitude of things over the years) so I'm just going to leave it until I replace the car in a few months.

Most importantly my girlfriend and I are uninjured- I have a bit of a stiff neck but nothing worse.

tomtom

• forum hero
#1936 Re: NNFN!!!!
July 27, 2015, 02:46:02 pm

I don't have any details about the driver unfortunately- the number plate on their car is simply not on insurance databases (I checked it on the road tax/ SORN website too- unknown) so I don't think there's anything I can do besides report the incident to the police, which I did yesterday.

Luckily the only damage to my car is to the bumper (it blends in even better with the rest of it now- it's a shitheap that I've scraped against a multitude of things over the years) so I'm just going to leave it until I replace the car in a few months.

Most importantly my girlfriend and I are uninjured- I have a bit of a stiff neck but nothing worse.

I suspect some claims lawyers would actively persue this - esp re stiff neck...
No worries if you want to let it be.. but if you don't I have Slopers number (I think he works for a company that amongst other things does this...)

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Abominable sex magick practitioner and climbing heathen
  • Whut
#1937 Re: NNFN!!!!
August 17, 2015, 11:38:19 pm
Went bouldering with HoseyB this evening.....jeez  :look:. Dunno whether I am going to die from trenchfoot or blood loss from multiple arm lacerations first  :ninja:

P.S. his stuff is pretty cool tho... ; )

Grubes

• forum hero
  • Fat and Weak
#1938 Re: NNFN!!!!
August 18, 2015, 08:12:18 am
 :whip:??

Doylo

• forum hero
#1939 Re: NNFN!!!!
September 15, 2015, 09:41:44 am
I'm posting on behalf of the guy who spent 2 years training for Action Directe then popped his finger on his first day on the route.  :slap: Gutted...

Nibile

• forum hero
  • Part Animal Part Machine
    • TOTOLORE
#1940 Re: NNFN!!!!
September 15, 2015, 10:12:00 am
NOOOOO!!! That guy with the terrible haircut? Poor bastard.

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
#1941 Re: NNFN!!!!
September 15, 2015, 10:14:02 am
What an idiot.

Doylo

• forum hero
#1942 Re: NNFN!!!!
September 15, 2015, 10:24:56 am
Life's a bitch.

Three Nine

• forum hero
#1943 Re: NNFN!!!!
September 15, 2015, 10:32:14 am
How do you know?

Doylo

• forum hero
#1944 Re: NNFN!!!!
September 15, 2015, 10:41:16 am
One of Dai Koyamadas entourage saw it happen at 6 in the morning and let me know .

Three Nine

• forum hero
#1945 Re: NNFN!!!!
September 15, 2015, 10:45:24 am
Blimey

Nibile

• forum hero
  • Part Animal Part Machine
    • TOTOLORE
#1946 Re: NNFN!!!!
September 15, 2015, 10:51:14 am
 ;D
Anything newsworthy about AD happens at 6 a.m. innit?

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#1947 Re: NNFN!!!!
September 15, 2015, 03:34:08 pm
One of Dai Koyamadas entourage saw it happen at 6 in the morning and let me know .

Dai says Hai?

a dense loner

• forum hero
#1948 Re: NNFN!!!!
September 21, 2015, 05:50:51 pm
There's a fucking Xmas tree up in the pub!

Oldmanmatt

• forum hero
  • At this rate, I probably won’t last the week.
  • Largely broken. Obsolete spares and scrap only.
    • The Boulder Bunker climbing centre
#1949 Re: NNFN!!!!
September 21, 2015, 09:19:22 pm

There's a fucking Xmas tree up in the pub!

Shit mate!

That's bad.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal