UKBouldering.com

NNFN!!!! (Read 891544 times)

Muenchener

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
#1900 Re: NNFN!!!!
June 05, 2015, 03:20:20 pm
Weird shit in my left leg. Sudden twanging/tearing sensation in my calf in the night - not cramp, I'm familiar with that and this was different. Acute pain in the belly of the muscle but only when I put load on it by doing something foolish such as trying to walk. No swelling, no bruising. GP says muscles don't spontaneously tear themselves in the night while resting, any anyway it's in the wrong place for the common or garden middle aged bloke calf muscle tear. His diagnosis: some weird shit, orthopaedist asap, A&E if it gets even weirder before I make it to the orthopaedist.

Not after an internet diagnosis, just having a little cry. So far this year I've trained hard by my standards, definitely feel like I've made progress in terms of movement and strength indoors, but for a variety of reasons - weather, transport, injuries - actual achievements on actual rock have been few and far between. I had a couple of free weekends and partners lined up in June and was determined to change that. Now I can't even walk to the f*cking crag.  :'(

Time to read Dave Mac's chapter on psychologically coping with downtime, and then re-read his blog post about campusing and one-footed bouldering.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2015, 03:36:01 pm by Muenchener »

Three Nine

• forum hero
#1901 Re: NNFN!!!!
June 05, 2015, 03:37:02 pm
Get that fingerboard out. Often funny quick onset things like that end up disappearing just as fast.

Oldmanmatt

• forum hero
  • At this rate, I probably won’t last the week.
  • Largely broken. Obsolete spares and scrap only.
    • The Boulder Bunker climbing centre
#1902 Re: NNFN!!!!
June 06, 2015, 08:52:15 am

Weird shit in my left leg. Sudden twanging/tearing sensation in my calf in the night - not cramp, I'm familiar with that and this was different. Acute pain in the belly of the muscle but only when I put load on it by doing something foolish such as trying to walk. No swelling, no bruising. GP says muscles don't spontaneously tear themselves in the night while resting, any anyway it's in the wrong place for the common or garden middle aged bloke calf muscle tear. His diagnosis: some weird shit, orthopaedist asap, A&E if it gets even weirder before I make it to the orthopaedist.

Not after an internet diagnosis, just having a little cry. So far this year I've trained hard by my standards, definitely feel like I've made progress in terms of movement and strength indoors, but for a variety of reasons - weather, transport, injuries - actual achievements on actual rock have been few and far between. I had a couple of free weekends and partners lined up in June and was determined to change that. Now I can't even walk to the f*cking crag.  :'(

Time to read Dave Mac's chapter on psychologically coping with downtime, and then re-read his blog post about campusing and one-footed bouldering.

Not attempting any sort of diagnosis, but...

It sounds, not dissimilar; to a mates DVT onset. His bruising didn't show for days (his was probably diving induced) and the whole thing was initial written off as "weird shit".

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

DaveC

• junky
  • Old skool...with emphasis on the "old".
#1903 Re: NNFN!!!!
June 06, 2015, 12:24:28 pm
Recovering well from broken ribs but it is now clear that the accompanying shoulder injury is worse than originally thought. May have to have surgery to remove damaged tissue...fairly fucked off to be frank.

tomtom

• forum hero
#1904 Re: NNFN!!!!
June 06, 2015, 12:54:48 pm
:( rubbish news for both of you..

Muenchener

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
#1905 Re: NNFN!!!!
June 06, 2015, 02:06:30 pm
It sounds, not dissimilar; to a mates DVT onset. His bruising didn't show for days (his was probably diving induced) and the whole thing was initial written off as "weird shit".

Yep, my GP was afraid of that too and told me to go straight to A&E if anything swelled up or turned blue. Which my left foot duly did, so I went, and the nice young lady doctor did a blood test and an ulatrasound scan and gave the vein the all-clear.

German A&E in a prosperous suburb of Munich is an interestingly different experience from British inner city A&E. Still a lot of sitting around, but quiet, with staff who have time to do stuff thoroughly and explain what they're doing, and an eerie absence of drunks and knife wounds.

kelvin

• forum hero
#1906 Re: NNFN!!!!
June 14, 2015, 01:12:30 pm
Glad it's not too serious Muench.

After last weekend climbing n the south coast, the van decided to have a hissy and take out loads of bits of the fueling system. Several hundred pounds worth it would seem but it least it's happened now and not whilst in Spain. Then the week went downhill...

So set about training at the Climbing Station on Wed, had a great two hours working out how to cross over my right hand (learnt enough to know what I can't do) and on the last effort of the night, my foot pops off a crappy smear I was using and suddenly the front of my left shoulder isn't happy. Not even when rubbing my nose, turning the steering wheel going home was a handed job. See the physio on Tuesday but she says to not lift my arm above my head, as she things I've done something to some tendon or other. Bollocks.

Being positive, I set about training the legs ready for the Bernese Alps in August and ran Thu, Fri and Saturday. Then last night fell down a set of stone stairs in the pub! Twat. Just slipped and bosh bosh bosh down I go. Fuck me I'm sore this morning. Why do injuries always come in twos? Won't be sorry to see the back of this week.

rich d

• forum hero
#1907 Re: NNFN!!!!
June 14, 2015, 01:51:06 pm
my TV blow up last night... :'( although it was older than my kids

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#1908 Re: NNFN!!!!
June 14, 2015, 04:51:21 pm
Sounds like a yyfy if it was that old. Excuse for an upgrade

rich d

• forum hero
#1909 Re: NNFN!!!!
June 14, 2015, 04:59:41 pm
Indeed, a few inches bigger, freeview and smart now ordered.

SA Chris

• forum hero
#1910 Re: NNFN!!!!
July 06, 2015, 11:06:58 pm
Snapped hold + missed pad = bruised and hacked up elbow and bruised arse. I suspect I'll not be putting on a wetsuit this week.

Oldmanmatt

• forum hero
#1911 Re: NNFN!!!!
July 07, 2015, 08:04:01 am

Snapped hold + missed pad = bruised and hacked up elbow and bruised arse. I suspect I'll not be putting on a wetsuit this week.

Wuss!
A bit of ice cold salt water will do it the world of g.....

Agony.

The world of agony.

Seriously, bad Ju Ju, get well soon.

SA Chris

• forum hero
#1912 Re: NNFN!!!!
July 07, 2015, 08:08:48 am
I might just man up, first decent swell forecast in a while! Actually most of it feels OK now, just the spit on the tip of my elbow which is really smarting. Feeling it this morning I think my hip took most of the force. I'll check the video replay.

cowboyhat

• forum hero
#1913 Re: NNFN!!!!
July 07, 2015, 02:52:49 pm
Like most people everything that happens to me is my own fault and so I've never felt cause to post on this thread.

I am really annoyed about this one though.

http://tinyurl.com/onsq7yk

SA Chris

• forum hero
#1914 Re: NNFN!!!!
July 07, 2015, 03:22:48 pm
LOL. We did a corporate highland games thing a few years ago, where one of the events was a sprint. I sprinted for the first time in about 25 or so years, came just about last, and was breathing through my arse like never before. I then sprained my groin on one side doing the tug of war, and the other side doing the cannon run. I literally couldn't walk the next day.

Oldmanmatt

• forum hero
#1915 Re: NNFN!!!!
July 07, 2015, 04:19:21 pm
Could I possibly invite you both in for a training review?

Or, just listen to Nibs.

Nibile

• forum hero
  • Part Animal Part Machine
    • TOTOLORE
#1916 Re: NNFN!!!!
July 08, 2015, 01:46:31 pm
... and then do the opposite.
 ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

cowboyhat

• forum hero
#1917 Re: NNFN!!!!
July 09, 2015, 12:07:27 pm
I thought sprints are for weight loss?

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
#1918 Re: NNFN!!!!
July 09, 2015, 12:31:47 pm
I hope you sort yourself out for our ledge-shuffling week. When is the blog about cheating in foundry comps going up?

DAVETHOMAS90

• forum hero
  • Dave Thomas is an annual climber to 1.7m, with strongly fragrant flowers
  • Don't die with your music still inside you ;)
#1919 Re: NNFN!!!!
July 09, 2015, 01:33:00 pm
Like most people everything that happens to me is my own fault and so I've never felt cause to post on this thread.

I am really annoyed about this one though.

http://tinyurl.com/onsq7yk

Well, if it is any consolation, I've just been thoroughly entertained, reading through your other blogs!

Loved this one: http://themightychickpea.blogspot.co.uk/2015/04/meeting-your-heroes.html?m=1

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#1920 Re: NNFN!!!!
July 09, 2015, 01:45:09 pm
Some fucking scrote has cracked one of our double-glazed windows.  Upstairs so likely throwing/kicking ball/stone at it.  Fucking dumb shit. 

>:( >:( >:( >:(

Nibile

• forum hero
  • Part Animal Part Machine
    • TOTOLORE
#1921 Re: NNFN!!!!
July 09, 2015, 02:23:23 pm
They are primarily for making you feel like the baddest mofo on Earth despite wearing lycra.
Then, they are for fat loss, muscle gain, power, explosiveness, CNS recruitment, etc.
Finally, although optional, they are to pull and strain muscles, as I've done twice this past winter.
A very well planned and specific warm up is absolutely de rigeur, with at least two sprints as the final specific warm up, each one leading with a different leg, given that the leg behind has the longer range of motion from a still position.
Hill sprints are much better and safer.
Good luck.

cowboyhat

• forum hero
#1922 Re: NNFN!!!!
July 10, 2015, 12:53:02 pm

Good luck.

With the recovery? Thanks, baddest mo fo or not I won't be doing a sprint again and certainly don't need to lose any weight.

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
  • "There's no cure for being a c#nt"
#1923 Re: NNFN!!!!
July 10, 2015, 01:18:30 pm
Some fucking scrote has cracked one of our double-glazed windows.  Upstairs so likely throwing/kicking ball/stone at it.  Fucking dumb shit. 

inside job?

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
  • "There's no cure for being a c#nt"
#1924 Re: NNFN!!!!
July 10, 2015, 02:35:52 pm

could be thermal shock at this time of year - crack with no obvious impact mark

possibly covered by a guarantee?

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal