UKBouldering.com

NNFN!!!! (Read 891376 times)

tomtom

• forum hero
#1250 Re: NNFN!!!!
January 18, 2013, 08:07:57 am
(not exactly end of the world news this but)

NNFN - I lost one of my fluffy boot inners from these after my last Cliff trip :( :( :(

I test drove these £15 decathlog beauties at the Cliff yesterday. 10/10. My feet were toasty - whilst Nai and 3T had to go for periodic runs to warm their feet up - I was able to just slob in toasty toed luxury (its all relative on a windy day at the cliff..)

Drew

• forum hero
  • Am I really a
#1251 Re: NNFN!!!!
January 30, 2013, 08:10:15 pm
Not sure if this is a NNFN or even a YYFY, but I got on Brass Monkeys today, as my mate James had got close recently and thought he could finish it off pretty quickly. So we got warmed up, and headed over. Having been on it before I felt like I should have a few more goes, even though it hurts my sore shoulder, but I thought fuck it, if it hurts, I stop. At first I couldn't even make the slap out with the right hand to the lip. I couldn't get my feet in the right place, and it all felt weird and wrong. I knew my beta for the end was weird, but the start wasn't meant to be this hard.

James had a few more goes, and kept getting to the campus move but either couldn't commit, or couldn't hit the hold. I got back on, and worked out where to put my feet (key, don't try and use the beta of the guy who's 4 inches taller, and with 6 inches more span), and got out to the lip. Awesome. Slapped around a bit, got the good holds, and tried the cut loose. Quickly slumped back onto the pads, but at least I'd worked out the start. James was now getting closer to hitting the hold, so we wouldn't be here for long, especially if the ominous black cloud came in any quicker.

I pulled on again, and got through to the cut loose. Held it (might've screamed a little), but I was doing well. Got my left heel up next to my left hand, and with a bit of encouragement, trusted it and slapped the jug. Boom! It was done. Well, nearly. Got matched, and onto the jugs on the arete, but waited for a bit while James moved the pads. Starting to feel tired I tried to get my feet up, and heel onto the jug, but I'd just knackered myself out so I dropped off. It'll be alright.. it's not raining yet... oh actually, yes it is. James quickly jumped on and fired the whole thing. He looked well sketchy topping out as the rock started getting damp. Bollocks. Let's sit it out, and see if the rain pauses. 30 seconds later it's hammering it down, starting to hail, and we've just been deafened by the loudest thunder I've ever heard. The flash of lightning preceded it by about half a second, so I reckon it probably hit The Pebble! Cue comedy run down the hill ("do I go under the trees?", "no, they might get hit and branches land on you", "fuck it this hail's pissing me off, I'm going under the trees!")

Bollocks. I didn't want that to be on my (ever expanding) ticklist, but now it means I really do have to go back and finish it off properly.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2013, 08:16:10 pm by Drew »

andy_e

• forum hero
#1252 Re: NNFN!!!!
January 30, 2013, 08:47:44 pm
You should be able to smooth it out next time though now you've got the beta!

Falling Down

• forum hero
    • bensblogredux
#1253 Re: NNFN!!!!
January 30, 2013, 11:12:03 pm
Sounds like a YYFY compared to my day in an office.

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#1254 Re: NNFN!!!!
January 31, 2013, 08:57:43 am
Sounds like a YYFY compared to my day in an office.

+1

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
#1255 Re: NNFN!!!!
January 31, 2013, 10:12:29 am
+2. Not been climbing for three weeks. Oh woe.

Stubbs

#1256 Re: NNFN!!!!
January 31, 2013, 10:19:05 am
"I went climbing on a weekday in the middle of a load of shitty weather and got close on a new problem at a local crag"

Some people don't know they're born!

Spandau

#1257 Re: NNFN!!!!
February 05, 2013, 10:42:32 am
Anyone know the opening hours currently for Broughton?

tomtom

• forum hero
#1258 Re: NNFN!!!!
February 05, 2013, 10:48:12 am
Very much the wrong thread....
So try:

http://ukbouldering.com/board/index.php/topic,21159.msg393095.html#msg393095

or
http://ukbouldering.com/board/index.php/topic,8313.msg386101.html#msg386101

Both of which were found using that odd little box on the top right of your screen called search.......

Ru

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#1259 Re: NNFN!!!!
February 05, 2013, 10:54:32 am
Four weeks away from my first climbing trip in over 2 years and something hurts after the wall today. :furious:

More specifically, I have a little sore patch just down from crease in ring finger PIP joint and off to the side, so not quite classic A2 pulley area but damn near it.  It hurts to touch, but did another problem before stopping- no pain while climbing (Broughton) :-\ :-\

Anyone experienced anything similar? And how long before it mended if so? Thanks!

Same here - a tweak a few weeks out from a trip. It's happened before though. Give it a day or two of icing if it needs it, then crack on with the cold water baths to increase blood flow. Massage it. Don't climb on it for 4-5 days, then start on big jugs again if you get no pain. Do short sessions so you have more control over the injury (generally the pain subsides as you warm up, making it hard to know if you're overdoing it in longer sessions). Take at least a day or two off between sessions to let any soreness subside. Ramp back up the intensity slowly, but do ramp it up a bit. Don't try anything really hard before the trip. You can rehab a minor tweak in about 3-4  weeks this way, but stay cautious on it for a couple of months.

Stewart

• menacing presence
#1260 Re: NNFN!!!!
February 08, 2013, 09:19:47 am
Crank. Pop. Fuck...

font in 5 &1/2 weeks, it's going to be close

andyd

• forum hero
    • https://vimeo.com/user14959179
#1261 Re: NNFN!!!!
February 08, 2013, 01:41:05 pm
Crank. Pop. Fuck...

An adult breakfast cereal?

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
#1262 Re: NNFN!!!!
February 08, 2013, 02:42:32 pm
Four weeks away from my first climbing trip in over 2 years and something hurts after the wall today. :furious:

More specifically, I have a little sore patch just down from crease in ring finger PIP joint and off to the side, so not quite classic A2 pulley area but damn near it.  It hurts to touch, but did another problem before stopping- no pain while climbing (Broughton) :-\ :-\

Anyone experienced anything similar? And how long before it mended if so? Thanks!

Same here - a tweak a few weeks out from a trip. It's happened before though....

Agree with what Ru has said although also sounds like what you may have done is collateral ligament damage? No pain when climbing but pain down the side of the joint after and v painful to touch.

I did this a few weeks before a Font trip. After advice on here I had about ten days off then cross taped the joint and trained as above. Worked fine and I had my best trip ever.

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
#1263 Re: NNFN!!!!
February 08, 2013, 02:45:59 pm
And I just realised how old your original post was so this advice is next to useless. Damn my January work schedule!

Stewart

• menacing presence
#1264 Re: NNFN!!!!
February 08, 2013, 03:38:18 pm

honroid

• addict
#1265 Re: NNFN!!!!
February 08, 2013, 08:32:59 pm

I had exactly the same symptoms on my ring finger two weeks ago after a recent concerted effort to focus fingerboard sessions on the back two... again with no pain while climbing but pain to the touch. I eased up on the two-finger pocket sessions, massaged and iced and (stupidly?) carried on the fingerboarding switching to open handed / slopers during the sessions.

The pain has now gone and I'm back on the back two and feeling good on it.

shark

• Administrator
  • forum hero
  • insect overlord #1
#1266 Re: NNFN!!!!
February 11, 2013, 01:36:34 pm
Can't find my fucking passport and am due to fly to Malaga on weds.  :wall:

One place left to look when I get home but I'm not hopeful.

tomtom

• forum hero
#1267 Re: NNFN!!!!
February 11, 2013, 01:38:26 pm
You've still got time to get one in person... (a major pain in the arse I know.. but thinking positive etc..)

shark

• Administrator
  • forum hero
  • insect overlord #1
#1268 Re: NNFN!!!!
February 11, 2013, 01:57:08 pm
You've still got time to get one in person... (a major pain in the arse I know.. but thinking positive etc..)

:goodidea:

Quick google last night suggested that wasnt an option but I see now it can be done.

:2thumbsup:

nai

• forum hero
  • In my dreams
#1269 Re: NNFN!!!!
February 11, 2013, 02:00:45 pm

I spent an hour looking for a receipt this morning without success.  Wife came home, I mentioned it to her and a minute later it was handed over, recovered from the place she put it that I knew nothing about.  Might be worth asking someone more organised than yourself ;) 

shark

• Administrator
  • forum hero
  • insect overlord #1
#1270 Re: NNFN!!!!
February 11, 2013, 02:03:48 pm

I spent an hour looking for a receipt this morning without success.  Wife came home, I mentioned it to her and a minute later it was handed over, recovered from the place she put it that I knew nothing about.  Might be worth asking someone more organised than yourself ;) 

Good thought but she was up till 1pm with me ransacking the joint

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#1271 Re: NNFN!!!!
February 11, 2013, 02:13:44 pm
I know I'm likely to get punched for asking, but when did you last have it?

I know this is probably a bit late and not particularly useful, but scan the crucial pages of your passport, license and any travel docs and email them to your hotmail address (or leave them in a dropbox), then you have instant access to copies any time.

shark

• Administrator
  • forum hero
  • insect overlord #1
#1272 Re: NNFN!!!!
February 11, 2013, 02:18:53 pm
I know I'm likely to get punched for asking, but when did you last have it?

I know this is probably a bit late and not particularly useful, but scan the crucial pages of your passport, license and any travel docs and email them to your hotmail address (or leave them in a dropbox), then you have instant access to copies any time.

I think I needed it for a late hotel and interview room booking in Swansea just before xmas. Ive rung the hotel they havent got it. Im going to look in the bag I took it with me and if its not there ring for an appointment at the Liverpool passport office.

I have a copy of my passport but that can't be valid for flying with can it ?

tomtom

• forum hero
#1273 Re: NNFN!!!!
February 11, 2013, 02:24:37 pm
No. They wont let you out of the country without it now.. you used to be able to blag it with a driving licence getting out of the UK but not now..

I've some useful passport advice here from dealing with Students who lose their passports while abroad (from our field trips) about getting back without a passport. In the Spanish airport (where its happened to us at ie student says errr.. left my passport at the Hotel) importantly say you've lost your passport at the airport. This means its dealt with in the airport, by the airport police otherwise they will bat you on to external police and you'll have to find the counsul etc.. (and probably miss your flight). This seems to be a really important distinction about how its dealt with and makes a big difference (according to the holiday rep(s) we've dealt with about this...). We always keep a photocopy of the passport photo page of the students who go, but while that helps, they really want to see some photo ID (driving licence) to let you out of the country (spain again). I tihnk this is also really important for the security of matching the passenger to the ID etc.. for the flight. Once landed in the UK - assuming you have photo ID, and dont look dodgy - it seems to take about 30-40 min of phone calls, form filling etc.. and then they let you back in..

tommytwotone

• forum hero
  • Southern jessie turned Almscliff devotee
#1274 Re: NNFN!!!!
February 11, 2013, 02:29:45 pm
I've had similar experience Shark - had to go away to Germany with previous job and only realised with 2 days to go that my passport had expired!

Went to the Durham office in the end (as I was living in York at the time). Apart from having to wait about for ages (not that Durham's an unpleasant place to kill time...) and it being a bit more pricey, very slick process. Think I arrived at about 9am and was on the 5pm train home.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal