UKBouldering.com

NNFN!!!! (Read 891337 times)

Dolly

• forum hero
#525 Re: NNFN!!!!
June 29, 2010, 11:56:27 am
Get yourself to a physio mate. They can work wonders and you'll know the extent of your injuries

psychomansam

• forum hero
#526 Re: NNFN!!!!
June 29, 2010, 12:17:22 pm
Hope your injuries are coming along alright, mine certainly pales in comparison.

Was thinking might give it a day or two and see how it is. I'm unemployed so throwing money at it isn't the easiest. But yea, if it doesn't start improving fast will have to book a session somewhere.

Will Hunt

• forum hero
  • Superworm is super-long
    • Unknown Stones
#527 Re: NNFN!!!!
June 29, 2010, 12:34:23 pm
Might be a pull. I pulled a muscle really badly in my shoulder the weekend before last and really suffered with it on a couple of days. Used Deep Heat and it sorted it out pretty quickly. Not sure whether you need hot or cold though if the ice seems to be working  :devangel:

Richie Crouch

• forum hero
  • G Time
#528 Re: NNFN!!!!
July 02, 2010, 11:11:42 pm
Decide to bring in the Uruguayan keeper and a  defender. The defender went off injured and the keeper conceded a goal.

I had also brought in Luis Suarez as everyone else in the top 5 of FF had picked Forlan, thinking I might have a chance of gaining a lead. Forlan scores, Suarez sent off  :wall:

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
#529 Re: NNFN!!!!
July 05, 2010, 10:39:10 am
I stopped playing a few games in as it seemed silly having all those substitutions, no budget etc. Presumably I'm last!

Dolly

• forum hero
#530 Re: NNFN!!!!
July 07, 2010, 04:48:03 pm
Hope your injuries are coming along alright
Cheers -  I think they are slowly.

Just got back from the dressing clinic where I saw the senior nurse ( I think) for the first time.
I asked if she thought I'd be able to climb before the end of the year and she seemed to think that was highly likely. Mind you I'll probably be massive by then with baby soft skin and no upper body muscle.
Its probable that at the end of next week I can start changing my own dressing which will mean that Shark gets his wish and can see some pics of my stub.

I asked about anti hydral as well but she didn't seem to know about that.

Have entered a 5k race in Sherwood Pines next weekend to give myself something to aim for so I don't think about the cornice being dry for the first time in 5 years too much

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#531 Re: NNFN!!!!
July 07, 2010, 04:58:12 pm
Glad you are doing OK. Keep working back three and open hands!

Dolly

• forum hero
#532 Re: NNFN!!!!
July 07, 2010, 05:00:08 pm
Cheers. Will do.  :)

shark

• Administrator
  • forum hero
  • insect overlord #1
#533 Re: NNFN!!!!
July 07, 2010, 05:21:45 pm
[Its probable that at the end of next week I can start changing my own dressing which will mean that Shark gets his wish and can see some pics of my stub.

Us sharks get excited by severed body parts.

Fultonius

• forum hero
  • Was strong but crap, now weaker but better.
    • Photos
#534 Re: NNFN!!!!
July 08, 2010, 12:21:37 pm

Mind you I'll probably be massive by then with baby soft skin and no upper body muscle.

You should join me in the "I can't climb due to injuries but am going to thrash the beastmaker and come back stronger  :thumbsup: , but with even less technique  ::) " club. It's great fun...  :whistle:

granticus

• forum abuser
#535 Re: NNFN!!!!
July 08, 2010, 08:22:54 pm
Got bundled surfing at Croyde this morning (being too casual and complacent!), board in the face = fractured cheek bone.  Can't chew food because of the pain, operation to push it back into place a week today, probably followed by more days of soup eating ::)
6 weeks after that before I'm allowed to do contact sports (don't think climbing is a contact sport? ;))

Mind you I'll probably be massive by then with baby soft skin and no upper body muscle.

You should join me in the "I can't climb due to injuries but am going to thrash the beastmaker and come back stronger  :thumbsup: , but with even less technique  ::) " club. It's great fun...  :whistle:

Sounds like a great plan and I'll probably, also, be waffa thin due to my new found eating disorder :great:

Fultonius

• forum hero
    • Photos
#536 Re: NNFN!!!!
July 08, 2010, 08:43:08 pm
Shitter dude, hope you like soup!

A wired jaw would certainly reverse the current waistline trend. Err...I mean, I'm training heavy.  ;)

P.S. You going to have to do something pretty stupid for climbing to be a contact sport in the cheek area  :o

granticus

• forum abuser
#537 Re: NNFN!!!!
July 08, 2010, 08:59:26 pm
Shitter dude, hope you like soup!

A wired jaw would certainly reverse the current waistline trend. Err...I mean, I'm training heavy.  ;)

P.S. You going to have to do something pretty stupid for climbing to be a contact sport in the cheek area  :o

Fortunately, by the sounds of things I won't be getting a wired jaw.  An incision will be made in the hairline (NNFN the ginger locks will have to go!) above the fracture, then they'll use some (probably scarey looking) device to push the cheek arch bone 'back out' into it's original position and ta daaa good as new (provided I don't knock it 'back in' whilst it heals).

P.S. have you ever been in one of those positions on a slab, where in order to get your centre of gravity into the wall you turn your head to the side and place your cheek against the rock?   :P  Note to self, avoid slabs!

SA Chris

• forum hero
#538 Re: NNFN!!!!
July 09, 2010, 12:05:50 pm
Not much I can say, other than sucks to be you. Hope it heals OK, and you should maybe take all the ginger locks off. And keep them off :0)

fatdoc

• forum hero
  • old and fearful
    • http://www.pincheswall.co.uk
#539 Re: NNFN!!!!
July 10, 2010, 05:42:49 pm
Got bundled surfing at Croyde this morning (being too casual and complacent!), board in the face = fractured cheek bone.  Can't chew food because of the pain, operation to push it back into place a week today, probably followed by more days of soup eating ::)
6 weeks after that before I'm allowed to do contact sports (don't think climbing is a contact sport? ;))

Sounds like a great plan and I'll probably, also, be waffa thin due to my new found eating disorder :great:

you get  one of these in your face

http://www.ortho.in/images/maxillofacial-implants-instruments/rowe-zygomatic-elevato.jpg

that'll sort you out.

doesnt hurt too much ( apparently)

granticus

• forum abuser
#540 Re: NNFN!!!!
July 11, 2010, 12:42:31 pm

you get  one of these in your face

http://www.ortho.in/images/maxillofacial-implants-instruments/rowe-zygomatic-elevato.jpg

that'll sort you out.

doesnt hurt too much ( apparently)
That's the fella, deffo looks like an instrument of pain!  Hope they don't leave it in there though!

fatdoc

• forum hero
  • old and fearful
    • http://www.pincheswall.co.uk
#541 Re: NNFN!!!!
July 11, 2010, 09:38:09 pm
you'll be home either the same day.. or the day after mate...

rginns

• junky
  • Holds innit
    • Strongholds
#542 Re: NNFN!!!!
July 13, 2010, 10:57:07 pm
Only just got round to posting this.
NNFN! :'(
Managed to slice my hand up whilst woodcarving last week... will be at least a few weeks before I can fully weight it, and because of where it is it's naturally splitting...  :wall:

Fultonius

• forum hero
    • Photos
#543 Re: NNFN!!!!
July 13, 2010, 10:59:51 pm
Only just got round to posting this.
NNFN! :'(
Managed to slice my hand up whilst woodcarving last week... will be at least a few weeks before I can fully weight it, and because of where it is it's naturally splitting...  :wall:

Holy shit, you could've wiped out 3 or 4 tendons in one swift slice!  :o

rginns

• junky
  • Holds innit
    • Strongholds
#544 Re: NNFN!!!!
July 13, 2010, 11:05:51 pm
lady luck was smiling on me, it seems  ::)

Dolly

• forum hero
#545 Re: NNFN!!!!
July 19, 2010, 11:01:47 pm
Went for a dressing change on Friday and had a proper look at my stub. Its really fucking weird. As well as being shorter (no surprise but still a shock) there's over granulation at the end. Apparently this is when the underlying tissue grows back more quickly than the skin can grow over the wound (medics please correct if wrong) The best way to describe it is that it looks like 2 slices of under ripe cherry attached to the top of an amputated thumb with a white bit between them -ie not human just weird. I'm sure there's a part of your brain that doesn't process this stuff in a way that assimilates it to be part of you, It looks like its from somewhere else and its hard to get ownership of it as part of me.
Having said that I'm grateful for all the length I can get (fnar fnar)
I had silver nitrate on it  to try and slow down/burn off (in my layman's terms) the excess tissue and there's been a bit more bleeding and discharge than usual although apparently that's OK.
On the positive side,  I did spend a few minutes on Friday night feeling most of the holds on my board and I can imagine that once the wound has healed I'll still be able to hold quite a lot of them. Did some pull ups and Frenchies tonight (fookin boring) and YYFY did the 5k race yesterday where I came 13th out of 87.
Its hard to explain how much I miss climbing. I'm sure anyone who has been injured like this has experienced the same thing. Its almost like my body aches for it. I'm going to move/add some of the holds on the board this week just so I can do a simple (thumb(s) off circuit I think

granticus

• forum abuser
#546 Re: NNFN!!!!
July 20, 2010, 12:00:56 am
Well I'm all fixed up now and the enforced diet is over, could chew food pretty much straight after the op. Gonna go for a mellow surf tomor as the weather is looking poo.. Just gotta avoid getting my cheek bashed again!  :)

Dolly, not quite the same but have a musician friend who chopped the end of one of his fingers off when a flight case slammed shut on him.  He's all good now and still playing to the same standard.  In my amateur medical opinion.. I reckon you'll be able to climb just fine once you're all healed up.  I guess missing something you know you will eventually be able to do again, is a whole different scenario to missing something there's no way you will do again, thinking of Paul Pritchard's description of his decision to sell his climbing gear in Totem Pole. :-\

SA Chris

• forum hero
#547 Re: NNFN!!!!
July 20, 2010, 07:43:24 am
Dolly, sounds like you are keeping a positive attitude which I guess is the main thing. I reckon you should be out doing some one handed slabs to keep your brain in gear if you are missing the climbing loads. Or puntering up al those mountain diffs you missed out on.

Fultonius

• forum hero
    • Photos
#548 Re: NNFN!!!!
July 20, 2010, 09:41:28 am
It's funny, the whole "missing climbing" thing. Loads of folk ask me if I'm missing it, and I am - but not nearly as much as I miss it when i'm fit to climb, but can't for other reasons (work, weather, etc.)

I think, maybe it's because I was told right from the start that it would be at least 9 months, that I haven't been pining for it quite as much.  :shrug:

I think it's a bit like drugs - if you're addicted and don't get them for a short time, you'll have massive withdrawal; but if you stay off them for a long time, the addiction fades.

Or maybe the beastmaker is my methadone???

sidewinder

• obsessive maniac
#549 Re: NNFN!!!!
July 20, 2010, 10:16:40 am
there's over granulation at the end. Apparently this is when the underlying tissue grows back more quickly than the skin can grow over the wound

Hope this isn't too random, but have seen and been sympathisising with your posts.  I had some fairly prolonged healing from 3 surgeries for the same problem last year (causing me about 13 months off work and a 6 and 4 month break from climbing, I managed to sneak some in between the 2nd and 3rd surgery  ;) ).

I had lots of issues inlcuding overgranulation etc.  I had the silver nitrate a couple of times, certainly burns it back, don't know how much you had on, but mine smarted somewhat!  As a result of my experiences I went through a few different types of dressings (gauze, alginate, inadine etc.), the one that I think eventually helped me out was this stuff http://www.dressings.org/Dressings/aquacel-ag.html seemed to both promote healing and prevent overgranulation.

Not sure whether it would be right for you type of wound (I think it would be though, any doctors/nurses here?). Due to the silver etc. I think it is one of the top dogs in the dressings world and so quite expensive, hence not always given/given immediately, but if you are having problems might be worth asking your medical team about it.  Also on the prescriptions front, if you are going to be prescribed a load of dressings, you can pre pay for 3/12 months unlimited prescriptions for the cost of about four scripts/x scripts, saved me a fortune, but no one seems to tell you about it!

Good luck on the healing front!  Definitely sympathise with the missing climbing, that is what I missed the most, though in my case I was pretty much limited to lying on the sofa/bed so was also missing quite a lot of other things, for example the ability to go for a more than a half mile walk!

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal