UKBouldering.com

NNFN!!!! (Read 891285 times)

GCW

• forum hero
  • No longer a
#250 Re: NNFN!!!!
July 30, 2009, 04:22:42 pm
So, Mr GCW,
How well recovered do you feel now, 3 months down the line?

Don't trust it, still taping.  Able to pull quite well as long as it's open handed:  back to doing 7a/+ problems, although carefully selected to aviod being tweaky.

Your plan sounds fine.

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
#251 Re: NNFN!!!!
August 10, 2009, 03:44:39 pm
So after over two months of false starts and continuing back injuries, last week I decided to bite the bullet and hit the gym. It made sense to work on strengthening the muscles that kept packing in on me and God knows my arms, shoulders etc could do with the workout. Long term this had to be the way forward and short term the way back to training in any way again.

And it worked! I went Wednesday and Friday and my circuit felt hard but good. I didn't try too hard as the main plan was not to crock myself again but it felt great to get the body working again. So great that I grasped the opportunity to go again yesterday with both hands.

Getting to the gym early enough for it to be virtually empty I did the usual warm ups and on moving on to the bicep curls everything was feeling that bit easier. So I increased the weight slightly on each exercise (being careful not to push it too much) and crushed the circuit. I felt fantastic. Gains already and I'm actually really enjoying the gym for a change. Took Raf to the park, did some work, played football with him in the garden, lovely tea, few beers, great end to a great weekend.

The Mrs woke me at 6 (my turn to get up for a change) and I hopped out of bed to go and deal with the complaining child.......AAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGG!!!!!!! Someone had stuck a red hot poker into my neck / shoulder. Well they hadn't of course but it fucking felt like it. I was just about able to stoop/crawl to Raf's room and fanny about like a cripple getting him up / breakfast etc before Mrs S got up and I staggered to the shower. Random movements sent crippling shots of pain down my neck and only about half an hour in the shower enabled me to stand up straight.

I have no idea what I've done (feels similar to a "trapped nerve" type spinal thing I had as a teenager but not as bad) but I'm at work now dosed up with painkillers and praying that it's not just them that are making it feel a hell of a lot better than it did first thing this am. We shall see but it looks as if another trip to the physio beckons.

NNFN.  >:(

dave

#252 Re: NNFN!!!!
August 10, 2009, 04:00:48 pm
I had a bad neck thing too a couple of months ago, came out of nowhere. at its worst I could hardly lift my head of the pillow, had to roll out of bed. couldn't look left, like zoolander. I think it came from sneezing (hayfever) with my head twisted to one side to avoid covering bambino with snot (although i notice he doesn't extend me the same courtesy). It gradually eased over a period of 3 weeks or so.

Drew

• forum hero
  • Am I really a
#253 Re: NNFN!!!!
August 10, 2009, 04:05:55 pm
Sounds similar to what I've currently got. I took my car to the garage t'other day ( a NNFN in itself!), and as I got out of the car a muscle which starts high on my neck (near the hairline), and almost in the centre (seems to attach straight onto the spine), and leads all the way down onto the top of my shoulder (I'd say my Trapezius?) twinged.

When I say twinged, I thought I'd snapped my spine! It was like getting shot. Hurt like fuck! Anyway, that was Friday so I spent the rest of the day sitting fairly stationary, unable to turn my head in pretty much either direction. Saturday (which just so happened to be my sodding Birthday!) I was sat at home, doing pretty much the same as I was on Friday (i.e. NOTHING!) when the weather was great, and I was bored. So very, very bored!

Well now it's Monday and after working yesterday (not exactly taxing, but a fair amount of movement) it's feeling better, but still not great. I'm gonna risk a little light bouldering, but doubt I'll be able to see where I'm putting my feet!

So Jasper, hopefully in three or four days you should be able to move your head properly, but I'll let you know how the climbing goes.

uptown

• junky
#254 Re: NNFN!!!!
August 10, 2009, 04:16:18 pm
I have no idea what I've done (feels similar to a "trapped nerve" type spinal thing I had as a teenager but not as bad) but I'm at work now dosed up with painkillers and praying that it's not just them that are making it feel a hell of a lot better than it did first thing this am. We shall see but it looks as if another trip to the physio beckons.

NNFN.  >:(

Unlucky Jas, sounds like Torticolis - small muscle spasms that can affect a nerve. Physio can help, but it should take care of itself with the aid of strong anti -inflams / painkillers.

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
#255 Re: NNFN!!!!
August 10, 2009, 04:35:04 pm
Cheers guys that's reassuring. I think beer may help too. Going to test the theory now.  :beer2:

Drew

• forum hero
  • Am I really a
#256 Re: NNFN!!!!
August 10, 2009, 09:29:53 pm
So Jasper, hopefully in three or four days you should be able to move your head properly, but I'll let you know how the climbing goes.

Well, just got back from 4 hours at the Works, and whilst it twinged a little bit at times, it seemed to benefit from the movement. It's feeling much better now, than before I left. I can almost turn my head as much as I could before. Reversing the car is the worst bit, but it was ok this evening.

cofe

• forum hero
#257 Re: NNFN!!!!
August 10, 2009, 09:37:43 pm
weird. it's settled now, but i had something similar for about a fortnight, it finally eased middle of last week. twas murder turning my head either way past 45deg or so. maybe it's this 'spine flu' that the news people keep telling us about?

Drew

• forum hero
  • Am I really a
#258 Re: NNFN!!!!
August 10, 2009, 11:59:11 pm
maybe it's this 'spine flu' that the news people keep telling us about?

Uuuuuuuurgh!

:furious:

I might punter you for that!

But you are right, there seems to be a lot of people with pretty much the exact same injury. Bizarre

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#259 Re: NNFN!!!!
August 11, 2009, 09:00:13 am
I often (a few times a year) pull a muscle just inside my shoulderblade, usually doing something daft, last time was picking up a toothbrush. I can feel it not sitting right for a couple of days before, and try and stretch as much as possible to stop it going, but it always does. I normally neurofen it and wait for pain to subside a bit, then have a steep boudering session, and it goes away again.

I have been doing a load of theraband exercises recently to sort out imbalances and stuff, and have had no problems since I started on the routines though. Touch wood.

mark s

• junky
#260 Re: NNFN!!!!
August 11, 2009, 11:23:07 am
after a fall in november,i finally went for an xray in june to discover my 1st and 11th vert were fractured.then i was sent to have a c.t scan.had the results this morning.no further action required.thats good in one way but n n f n it still hurts.

dave

#261 Re: NNFN!!!!
August 11, 2009, 11:28:18 am
If you get into a pub debate about injuries you can be sure no-one is going to be able to beat "walking around with a broken back for 9 months" though.

mark s

• junky
#262 Re: NNFN!!!!
August 11, 2009, 11:40:36 am
ha ha yeah.when i told andiT he said "wow you are wolfgang ,you've broken your back"

a dense loner

• forum hero
#263 Re: NNFN!!!!
August 11, 2009, 08:29:17 pm
where there's no sense there's no feeling :-*

Drew

• forum hero
  • Am I really a
#264 Re: NNFN!!!!
August 11, 2009, 10:16:50 pm
If you get into a pub debate about injuries you can be sure no-one is going to be able to beat "walking around with a broken back for 9 months" though.

A mate of mine fell off at Burbage and broke it without realising, then fell off again at Stoney about 4 years later and really broke it again. Went to hospital the next as she thought she'd just hurt it a bit!

Blunk

• obsessive maniac
#265 Re: NNFN!!!!
August 19, 2009, 04:07:38 am
Dudes, no matter what your wife implores you to do, never ever have kids. Never. I just found out that my kids have football games the next 8 fucking weeks. On Saturdays. In the fall, the absolute best time of the year for climbing. This jolly news arrives after I have battled through multiple gout attacks, groin surgery, serious knee injury, bone chips in the elbow, and a hideous flu over the past 8 months. After recovering from all the above I am in great shape and super psyched to send...my children to Albania. Fuck, fuck, fuck!!!

I am truly depressed.

PS: this pic is of Small Axe, 7b+, a fantastic problem that I won't be getting back to for the next 8 weeks.

andy popp

• forum hero
#266 Re: NNFN!!!!
August 19, 2009, 07:26:28 am
Tell me about it. Gout? I'm very impressed, that so debauched 18th century aristocrat.

In my own NNFN, I failed by the narrowest margin on an all out 3 star project at a secret Cheshire venue last night. I think I started counting my chickens after go 2, just before the effects of not climbing/training for the past month kicked in. I am very, very, very frustrated. Still, I know it will go now and it was a lovely evening in a stunning location.

SA Chris

• forum hero
#267 Re: NNFN!!!!
August 19, 2009, 08:43:47 am
Of all the daft projects to get embroiled in, DWS in Scotland must be the stupidest. Project relies on correct tides (an hour or two before high on a rising tide), calm sea, not raining, reasonably bright daylight, not horifically greasy (as opposed to the usual pretty fucking greasy) and it not being so fucking cold that I die if I fall in (ie the next month). Oh, and no onshore wind so there are no 12" jellyfish lurking in the fallout zone like last time.

Will be epic if it goes though. Upside is it is 10 mins walk from house.

Duncan Disorderly

• Administrator
  • forum abuser
  • Stealth Punter
#268 Re: NNFN!!!!
August 19, 2009, 09:47:21 am
Must be summat in the air as I've now got the necking neck pain!!! Car failed it's MOT (£600 of NNFN) so had to go indoors (NNFN) and slipped off a greasy smear while looking up, wasn't too bad at first but is pretty painful right now... Better be Ok this time next week as I'm driving to Font... Don't think I'll be getting back on the 7b I so nearly did at 2 tier on Sunday this week either... NNFN!!!!!

neil h

• forum hero
  • You think i'm fat
    • sibl
#269 Re: NNFN!!!!
August 19, 2009, 03:50:18 pm
Must be summat in the air as I've now got the necking neck pain!!! Car failed it's MOT (£600 of NNFN) so had to go indoors (NNFN) and slipped off a greasy smear while looking up, wasn't too bad at first but is pretty painful right now... Better be Ok this time next week as I'm driving to Font... Don't think I'll be getting back on the 7b I so nearly did at 2 tier on Sunday this week either... NNFN!!!!!

you better stay if them rocks, cant get injured before getting here, we have lots of climbing to do whenyou get here old man

Blunk

• obsessive maniac
#270 Re: NNFN!!!!
August 20, 2009, 09:47:57 pm
Tell me about it. Gout? I'm very impressed, that so debauched 18th century aristocrat.

Apparently losing weight, eating right and getting in shape is the new debauchery. And being broke has always been aristocratic hasn't it?

a dense loner

• forum hero
#271 Re: NNFN!!!!
August 21, 2009, 07:33:34 am
thats such a strong photo blunk. underbite, backwards cap, cycling shorts. surely this must go in the old skool pics thread as well ;)

next hold looks like its going to ask questions of your pain tolerance

SA Chris

• forum hero
#272 Re: NNFN!!!!
August 21, 2009, 08:54:19 am
Didn't know Black Diamond made baggy cycling shorts?

fatboySlimfast

• forum hero
#273 Re: NNFN!!!!
August 21, 2009, 09:19:01 am
Didn't know Black Diamond made baggy cycling shorts?
On any normal size human being those shorts could be used as a sleeping bag.....

philo

• forum hero
#274 Re: NNFN!!!!
August 22, 2009, 01:35:55 am
went for an interview for a position already filled.... waste of an hours interview and 2 exams    :-\

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal