UKBouldering.com

A 'small' woodie (Read 6225 times)

Paul B

• forum hero
A 'small' woodie
February 09, 2009, 08:20:33 pm
After last nights Jerry ( :bow:) lecture Nat finally gave in to my board requests.

The spare room is as follows:

not a massive space, and somewhat limited by the fact that it'd be nice to have the back of the board on the side nearest the door as to allow for storage behind it and thus avoiding blocking off the window. I already know that its not ideal and it'll be far from perfect but this way I can stop hoping/hassling other walls to build something thats specific for my goals and to work my weaknesses applicable to what I want to climb.

Current plans are a low roof which won't be full width, into a steep section followed by a flat board for some horrendous finishing holds.

I just thought I'd post to see if anyone has any wild design ideas that are intriguing...

St Hubbins

• stalker
  • Where the magic happens...
#1 Re: A 'small' woodie
February 10, 2009, 08:15:03 am
You knock that up on AutoCAD?

What are the dims across the window face, with window Sill and Window head heights. Thats if you don't want to block off window?

Also is the door hinged in the top left opening in to the room?

dave

#2 Re: A 'small' woodie
February 10, 2009, 08:44:06 am
hows about just a plain 8ft wide board running across the short dimension of the room - shouldn't impinge on the window or door, but would still let you get round the sides to use it as storage?

St Hubbins

• stalker
#3 Re: A 'small' woodie
February 10, 2009, 09:43:22 am

Meant to ask: Also is the door hinged in the top left opening in to the room along the northern wall on the plan view?

Paul B

• forum hero
#4 Re: A 'small' woodie
February 10, 2009, 12:59:19 pm
You knock that up on AutoCAD?

What are the dims across the window face, with window Sill and Window head heights. Thats if you don't want to block off window?

Yes, very quickly.

I can't see why thats important the structure will have to be built coming out of the other wall.

Yes (as shown?).

Paul B

• forum hero
#5 Re: A 'small' woodie
February 10, 2009, 02:02:25 pm
keith just sent me this:

St Hubbins

• stalker
#6 Re: A 'small' woodie
February 10, 2009, 02:44:34 pm
I've built a quick wire frame model of the room with a quick idea on it? You can spin it round with the 3d orbit command.

You want it emailed? Based on board being 6ft/1.83m wide to save on ply sheets.

I've saved it as a 2000/lt2000.dwg

Paul B

• forum hero
#7 Re: A 'small' woodie
March 02, 2009, 11:50:59 pm
I've built a quick wire frame model of the room with a quick idea on it?
Can't remember if I replied to your email. Thanks anyway!

Started on the board this weekend and it made such a mess of my whole flat that I had to get it as finished as possible:

It's 50 deg, completely free standing and as you can see has some storage at the back. The best bit is; it's about 30 seconds away from my fridge. My skin is trashed from putting in nigh on 500 screws (god knows how many places like the works needed). Now all I need is to get all of the holds on and I can have a session, when my skin grows back and my shoulders don't feel like I've carried a lot of wood up a lot of about.

Dylan came for a look tonight and seemed content enough to stand underneath it without being afraid of it killing us both.

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#8 Re: A 'small' woodie
March 03, 2009, 08:09:33 am
Nice one. In hindsight an electric screwdriver may have been a sensible investment.

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
#9 Re: A 'small' woodie
March 03, 2009, 08:48:15 am
Effort.

Richie Crouch

• forum hero
  • G Time
#10 Re: A 'small' woodie
March 03, 2009, 08:50:25 am
Looks excellent Paul. the hanging starts in line with the door look very good indeed  8)

BB

• junky
  • Sissy climber
#11 Re: A 'small' woodie
March 03, 2009, 10:29:38 am
I'm really impressed Paul! I had such a headache mounting my beastmaker on Saturday that i'm simply awed by your chippy skillz.

Have a wad!

nik at work

• forum hero
#12 Re: A 'small' woodie
March 03, 2009, 10:59:35 am
Looks ace Paul, good use of small space.
I'm surprised how many resin holds you appear to have. I thought wood was this seasons black and your wall would be attired in a range of ethically sourced hardwoods?

(P.S. You should just use scaffold poles to support the structure... ;))

Paul B

• forum hero
#13 Re: A 'small' woodie
March 03, 2009, 11:57:18 am
I'm no good at carving wood. I've got a shed load of old wooden holds kicking around I just have to get around to sorting the best ones out and screwing them on. There's also no way my other half would get to the top unless I screwed on some massive bits of wood.

If anyone is building a board, splash out on a 20 quid mitre saw from B&Q, helps a lot! Just watch those fingers, feet and electrical cables.

mctrials23

• obsessive maniac
#14 Re: A 'small' woodie
March 03, 2009, 02:40:14 pm
Whats the general opinion on building a frame from scaffolding. Im building a little wall in my room and havn't decided how to build it yet. Its going to be 8' wide and 10' long at an angle of 45 degrees. Should I use scaffold or wood and what would the price difference be?

Cheers

Paul B

• forum hero
#15 Re: A 'small' woodie
March 03, 2009, 04:08:48 pm
Nice one. In hindsight an electric screwdriver may have been a sensible investment.

I had a decent drill, it was just getting each one started.

Looks excellent Paul. the hanging starts in line with the door look very good indeed  8)

Thanks  8) , its got a pusher system tile down there now but its got to come off, I think even ned would struggle to mono it at that angle.

My BM is hung from 6 plasterboard fixings above the same door, resting on the frame after epically over designing a backboard and bolting through the entire wall only to decide it was overkill and start re-filling, re-painting etc. the holes I'd made. Nat was not very happy.

nik at work

• forum hero
#16 Re: A 'small' woodie
March 03, 2009, 04:13:17 pm
My BM is hung from 6 plasterboard fixings
:jaw:You must weigh nothing!

Paul B

• forum hero
#17 Re: A 'small' woodie
March 03, 2009, 04:25:58 pm
My dad hung off it fine, he's about 11.5 stone I think. I'm scraping in at a lardy (just under) 9 stone.
The frame takes all of the weight, the fixings just ressist any outward pull which given the biggest holds aren't massive SHOULDN'T be that great.

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
#18 Re: A 'small' woodie
March 03, 2009, 04:36:02 pm
I'm no good at carving wood.

There's also no way my other half would get to the top unless I screwed on some massive bits of wood.

Just the thing.......

http://staebenartinwood.com/archive/handholdsclose.html

....er.  :o

nik at work

• forum hero
#19 Re: A 'small' woodie
March 03, 2009, 04:41:30 pm
I suppose it will be good training for adventurous trad on suspect rock, although I never suspected you were into that kind of thing :)

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal