UKBouldering.com

Road bike - pedal recommendations (Read 3062 times)

RobinB

• addict
Road bike - pedal recommendations
February 02, 2009, 06:25:30 pm
Anybody got any recommendations re pedals for a road bike? I have been using standard SPD cleats and mountain bike pedals up to now. However, my feet seem to 'rock' on the pedals a bit and I'm looking for something with a bit more support.

Having just bought some road shoes in Decathlon for the princely sum of £10, I was considering something like Shimano 105 SPD SLs. However I'm open to other recommendations - Look etc

Yossarian

• forum hero
#1 Re: Road bike - pedal recommendations
February 02, 2009, 07:08:38 pm
i use look pp286s or something.  they've been superseded by the look keo, which i will probably buy next.

i do like the idea of speedplay, but i tried a friends bike out at the weekend and i couldn't really handle the heel out release. only because i smashed my right heel some years back and that movement isn't very comfortable.

apart from that they seemed like a great pedal.  double sided helps in traffic and the cro-mo ones aren't megabucks.

not tried shimano...

Dolly

• forum hero
#2 Re: Road bike - pedal recommendations
February 02, 2009, 08:14:41 pm
I think the good thing about Look pedals Rob is how wide and stable the platform is.
I've sure I've got a pair somewhere you can borrow if you want to have a go ?

Norton Sharley

• forum hero
#3 Re: Road bike - pedal recommendations
February 02, 2009, 08:43:42 pm
 ::)

webbo

• forum hero
#4 Re: Road bike - pedal recommendations
February 02, 2009, 08:51:33 pm
i would go for look,i've used shimano road spds in the past and they worked well but every other year they reinvent them.so you struggle to get new cleats or if you need new shoes the holes don't work.

fatdoc

• forum hero
  • old and fearful
    • http://www.pincheswall.co.uk
#5 Re: Road bike - pedal recommendations
February 03, 2009, 07:18:41 pm

i would go for look,i've used shimano road spds in the past and they worked well but every other year they reinvent them.so you struggle to get new cleats or if you need new shoes the holes don't work.
:agree:

I think i got mine for about £45, they take some getting used to after mtb spd.. one sided and you flick em with yr toe then clip in... comedy moments pulling away, missing the clip & lookin fear inot on coming traffic fot a few days.

worth it though, much more stable

bigd942

• addict
#6 Re: Road bike - pedal recommendations
February 04, 2009, 08:30:42 pm
I've tried nearly every pedal system on the market, Look, Speedplay, Time, Shimano etc Personally I've gone off the double sided ones like Speedplay, Time Atac and the old SPD, can be awkward getting into once they've wore a bit or are sticking, I ride rollers in the winter and they're deadly getting into on them. I liked the old Time's but they were heavy and unless you bought Time shoes (Sidi never fitted my feet) they never fitted good with adapters etc, you just want shoe and cleat.
Rode over 12 months on the Time RXS, liked them loads and would have bought again but shocked at the price they were, must have got them on a sale or something. Good float and the cleat is hard wearing as it's brass that the spring is clipping onto. I rode for a year or two with SPD-SL's, these were good as the cleats lasted longer than Look but I actually found I was wearing the pedal out, used to be a plastic platform and this eventually wore through, think the Dura Ace ones you could replace.
I ride revised design of the SPD-SL now as it has a metal platform, looks like stainless so should last way longer, highly recommend them, although the pedal has changed a little I think the cleat has stayed the same.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal