UKBouldering.com

beginners shoes... (Read 8762 times)

Mr Cat

• menacing presence
    • Flickr
beginners shoes...
January 30, 2009, 10:22:55 pm
hi guys - I'm after some cheap but good shoes for indoor bouldering...

just started climbing this week... :)

basically, I've been hiring some at the durham climbing centre which are size 12 (my normal show size is 9/10) - I' assuming that if I get some from the web they should be a size 12? just not sure if there's much variance with their actual sizes...

got any links to some cheap places?

seen these ones - http://www.gear-zone.co.uk/eshop/Mammut-Edge-Rock-Shoe.html

but I'm not sure... :shrug:

jfw

• forum abuser
  • banananananana
#1 Re: beginners shoes...
January 31, 2009, 10:26:36 am
hi mr cat

try some on in a shop, then you know for a given make/type what size is comfy for you - once you knows which ones you want you can get some online. this is obviously unethical if you are abusing the shop's  customer service - and they get nothing in return - but if you are super skint it's the way to go.

ask the wall if they sell off their hire boots periodically?

or order the same make and size as the hire boots online then you know they fit.

magpie

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
#2 Re: beginners shoes...
January 31, 2009, 10:44:29 am
I' assuming that if I get some from the web they should be a size 12? just not sure if there's much variance with their actual sizes...
Most definitely not, they're all very different size wise, you need to try them on first for definite, and some probably won't suit your feet.  If you have a search through some of the shoe related posts on here you'll see just how different the sizing can be.  You need to go and try loads on.

Oh, and hello.  :wave:

benj_d

• menacing presence
#3 Re: beginners shoes...
February 03, 2009, 08:24:01 pm
Durham have 10% off all of their shoes at the moment, buy some there!

They have plenty of styles so you should find something that fits your feet well.

Fitting is the most important thing. Each model and make have completely different sizing, stupid but true.

Moo

• forum hero
  • Is an idiot
#4 Re: beginners shoes...
February 03, 2009, 08:26:56 pm
Magpie knows all about tryin on loads of rock shoes last time she was in my shop it took her a good 40 minutes of intensive shoe trying.

magpie

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
#5 Re: beginners shoes...
February 03, 2009, 09:07:48 pm
 :-\  Did I buy any in the end? *tries subtly to work out who Moo is*

Mr Cat

• menacing presence
    • Flickr
#6 Re: beginners shoes...
February 03, 2009, 11:17:19 pm
cheers folks...think I'll try something out next payday now... :(

just bought a 3 month pass for the centre... :)

benj_d

• menacing presence
#7 Re: beginners shoes...
February 04, 2009, 10:55:20 pm
Good for you! Hope it all goes well.

If I see anyone who looks like a cat I will say hello

Mr Cat

• menacing presence
    • Flickr
#8 Re: beginners shoes...
February 05, 2009, 11:04:47 am
cheers...yeah, I love it...normally go 3 nights a week (mon, wed and fri) around 5:30ish... :)

benj_d

• menacing presence
#9 Re: beginners shoes...
February 05, 2009, 11:09:15 pm
haha, i'll be going at about half 1 tomorrow and leaving about 5/5.30 hehe

Moo

• forum hero
  • Is an idiot
#10 Re: beginners shoes...
February 11, 2009, 04:11:17 pm
nope you didnt buy all my hard work was squandered magpie

magpie

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
#11 Re: beginners shoes...
February 11, 2009, 04:30:34 pm
Sorry  :-[ 

If it makes you feel any better, I'm still wearing the old ones I had to replace before going away at Christmas, it was nothing personal, I just have wonky feet and the inability to make a decision ;)

Mr Cat

• menacing presence
    • Flickr
#12 Re: beginners shoes...
February 21, 2009, 07:05:11 pm
I went looking for shoes this after and went into the newcastle climbing centre - they guy who served me was right up his own arse - but knew his stuff... :)

tried on a pair of scarpa Thunder and I a pair of 43 (size 9) almost fitted me as opposed to the size 12 hire shoes... !! anyway, think a 44 would fit better (which they didn't have) and some other places would have jkust sold anything...

will try some online ones... :)

benj_d

• menacing presence
#13 Re: beginners shoes...
February 21, 2009, 09:50:26 pm
Hi Mr Cat.

Do you know the guys name or what he looked like?

You should try Wildtrak in Newcastle, excellent service, guys know what they are talking about. Especially Mark Savage if he is there.

Problem with Climb Newcastles shoe range is that they only sell scarpa and a few pairs of boreal shoes. Wildtrak stock loads of different brands, hence they have a lot more shoes that fit differently so you are bound to find one that suits you.

Did you not have any luck getting shoes at DCC? I know they might be a bit low on stock at the moment.

Thanks,

Ben

Mr Cat

• menacing presence
    • Flickr
#14 Re: beginners shoes...
February 22, 2009, 02:15:12 pm
yeah, the guy was about 5' 7 - darkish brown hair with a good growth of stubble... :)

he did mention wildtrak - but I didn't know it existed and my car was parked down at the quayside... :(

and as crap luck would have it - I went over my ankle on theway down from there and sprained my ankle... :(

will check out the DCCs selection whe I next go - most likely wednesday...do you know if they still have their sale on?
edit - just to confirm I went to the LD mountain centre down at Dean street... and not the newcastle climbing centre...

benj_d

• menacing presence
#15 Re: beginners shoes...
February 22, 2009, 02:28:12 pm
Ah right, I thought you meant the bouldering wall in Byker 'ClimbNewcastle'.

I dont use the LD mountain centre much but I have been served by an idiot in there before, possibly the same guy you spoke to.

Wildtrak are definitely the best for Climbing gear. LD is more of a mountaineering/outdoors shop.

Wildtrak is next to China town near St James Park. They have about 4 floors I think, the top floor is all for climbing gear. The staff know what they are talking about too.

Last time I went to Durham, Kevin said there was 10% off all the shoes. But my mate who has just started climbing like you, bought a slightly advanced but still comfortable pair of shoes (Five Ten Galileo) because a lot of the entry level shoes (i.e Evolv Defy) only had small sizes left.

Hope you ankle gets better!!

Mr Cat

• menacing presence
    • Flickr
#16 Re: beginners shoes...
February 28, 2009, 10:24:18 pm
yeah, I popped to Wildtrak this after and after trying on a load of pairs (with a very friendly shop assistant!) I bought a pair of Red Chili Spirit Velcro Impact Zone (http://www.wildtrak.com/product.asp?ID=263) :)

robertostallioni

• forum hero
#17 Re: beginners shoes...
February 28, 2009, 10:29:59 pm
Mr Cat, I think you need to be putting some of "your favourites" flickr fots on Magpies thread....

Will Hunt

• forum hero
  • Superworm is super-long
    • Unknown Stones
#18 Re: beginners shoes...
March 01, 2009, 03:04:51 am
Good choice on the shoes. Decent pair of beginners shoe there.

As to the comment on buying online after trying on in shop then please refrain from doing this! I worked in a gear shop for a little while and always busted a gut trying to make sure I gave the best possible customer service. A girl came in for her first pair of climbing shoes and after trying on every pair of shoes in her size range in the shop she finally made her decision. I didn't get paid commission but I think that if somebody puts that amount of time in for a customer and the product is right then the company deserves something back.

Places like Needlesports, V12 and other independants as well as small chains such as Ultimate Outdoors provide a brilliant in shop service and deserve better. Abuse it and lose it.

Rant over! Enjoy climbing!

Mr Cat

• menacing presence
    • Flickr
#19 Re: beginners shoes...
March 01, 2009, 01:03:58 pm
yeah, my experience of LD mountain in newcastle wasn't that good - it's as if the guy didn't want to sell anything to me... (tho, some places could have just sold anything as long as it fitted!) - but my experience of wildtrak was first class...the guy brough out loads of shoes and I was able to hop on their wall too...

RE: - robertostallioni  - what thread is that, I can't find it..? :)

Will Hunt

• forum hero
  • Superworm is super-long
    • Unknown Stones
#20 Re: beginners shoes...
March 01, 2009, 01:23:35 pm
Dead fit blokes who go climbing possibly. Or the one about cute things?

Mr Cat

• menacing presence
    • Flickr
#21 Re: beginners shoes...
March 01, 2009, 01:38:01 pm
it's more thsn lilely be the cute things then... :D

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal