UKBouldering.com

Which boots? (Read 16411 times)

eyehategod

Which boots?
January 26, 2009, 06:45:26 pm
In the market for some new boots and looking for a bit of help.
Been thinking of scarpa boosters, sportiva miura velcro, viper or possibly solutions.
Or any others i should be taking a look at?
Any thoughts would be helpful. Bare in mind i'm a uk 6 in trainers so would really struggle
to get some shoes in a size small enough for my feet. Also any advice in how far i should down size
would be great.

Ta

eyehategod

#1 Re: Which boots?
January 26, 2009, 07:22:10 pm
Make that sportiva venom, not viper.

Ta

robertostallioni

• forum hero
#2 Re: Which boots?
January 26, 2009, 07:45:08 pm
I think you and God will have to reconcile your differences if you want to get some Venoms :bow:.......its more or less a year since they were last imported. Maybe you could pray for a second coming. :shrug:

GCW

• forum hero
  • No longer a
#3 Re: Which boots?
January 26, 2009, 07:47:11 pm

eyehategod

#4 Re: Which boots?
January 26, 2009, 08:27:01 pm
elementoutdoors.com showing they have stock, guess i need to call to check that out.
Would venoms be the one to go for? If so what size? I'm a uk 6 in trainers.
What about scarpa boosters or others if i can't get the venoms?

Thanks for your help

Paul B

• forum hero
#5 Re: Which boots?
January 26, 2009, 09:28:11 pm
elementoutdoors.com showing they have stock, guess i need to call to check that out.
Would venoms be the one to go for? If so what size? I'm a uk 6 in trainers.
What about scarpa boosters or others if i can't get the venoms?

Thanks for your help

You're not going to know this without trying a pair on.

Charles

• addict
#6 Re: Which boots?
January 27, 2009, 10:11:19 am
I agree with Paul. Go to a shop - try loads on.

Venoms are good from what I've heard (from my brother so not info not too second hand) and I know someone else who swears by Vipers and he has small and skinny feet. Scarpa Boosters didn't really fit my feet, had a lot of dead space around the heel. Katanas seem to be the way forward if you listen to my housemate! Oh and Solutions... friends say they are the dogs bollocks, but do you really need them when they cost £110 and you could get a pair of decent boots and a Moon Fingerboard for that (and then get so strong you won't need to use your feet!)

The new 5.10 Anasazi V2s (the white ones) are amazing. I've just bought a pair and they are fantastic. I tried on some of the Evolv Es Pontas and they were great too so I'm buying those before my Mallorca trip in April (because obviously they will get me up Es Pontas!)

eyehategod

#7 Re: Which boots?
January 27, 2009, 12:42:12 pm
Already got a pair of katanna's but they've stretched quite a lot more than i expected and are a bit on the big side now. Would prefer something a bit more aggressive too.

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#8 Re: Which boots?
January 27, 2009, 01:12:54 pm
Would prefer something a bit more aggressive too.

I recommend a pit bull :)

Agree on the fit. Much more important than design of boot. No matter how good the design, if the shape isn't right for your foot you are wasting cash.

eyehategod

#9 Re: Which boots?
January 27, 2009, 03:19:12 pm

Just  tried a pair of boosters and there seemed to be a good bit of space in the heel, went 1 size down, wouldn't have got anyting smaller on my foot. Though they felt good everywhere else. Also tried a pair of dragons in a 6 and they just aren't for my feet at all, seemed very narrow in the toe and very very painful.

Might have to travel further afield for a better selection, don't really wanna risk an internet buy unless i have to.

soapy

• junky
    • maskon
#10 Re: Which boots?
January 27, 2009, 03:24:46 pm
..just don't google image 'rock boots'

Paul B

• forum hero
#11 Re: Which boots?
January 27, 2009, 03:28:03 pm

Just  tried a pair of boosters and there seemed to be a good bit of space in the heel, went 1 size down, wouldn't have got anyting smaller on my foot. Though they felt good everywhere else. Also tried a pair of dragons in a 6 and they just aren't for my feet at all, seemed very narrow in the toe and very very painful.

Might have to travel further afield for a better selection, don't really wanna risk an internet buy unless i have to.

The knuckle section on dragons does bed in well. It still hurts if you stub it on anything mind you!

Zods Beard

• forum abuser
#12 Re: Which boots?
January 27, 2009, 03:36:49 pm

Why don't you try 6 1/2's then, I'm sure Jim went half a size over his normal trainer size and they seem alright for him, could be wrong. Just had some promo stuff off Go Outdoors, and they are selling Scarpa Spectro's for about 35 quid if you have their discount card which is only a few quid to buy.

Mike Tyson

• forum hero
#13 Re: Which boots?
January 27, 2009, 03:40:00 pm
I have Venoms and I can tell you they are superb, best shoes I have ever had. I am a size 10 UK in trainers but my Venoms are a 41.5 or roughly a 7 & 3/4's UK. I can wear them all day as well.

Hope that is of some use to you.

magpie

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
#14 Re: Which boots?
January 27, 2009, 04:09:52 pm
Bare in mind i'm a uk 6 in trainers so would really struggle to get some shoes in a size small enough for my feet
You might want to have a look at some ladies styles too, they go down to a smaller size and tend to be lower volume, for example the ladies version of the booster is a very similar shape to the men's but lower volume, specifically the heel is different, might be worth a look?  Also they are blue, so you would still look suitably manly in them. ;)

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
#15 Re: Which boots?
January 27, 2009, 04:27:34 pm
Before lagers pipes up with some hilarious comment, I have a pair of the blue Scarpas and they don't make me look manly in the slightest. Where am I going wrong?

[/preemptive strike]

Jim

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
  • Mostly Injured
  • Pregnant Horse
    • Bouldering POI's for tomtom
#16 Re: Which boots?
January 27, 2009, 10:02:32 pm
got some 5.10 green lace ups the other day and they are awesome.
I found the boosters went too far up my heel when I tried them on and dug in.
6.5 in velcro's, 7 in lace up and 8.5 in dragons.
5.10 sizing is great  ;D

GCW

• forum hero
  • No longer a
#17 Re: Which boots?
January 27, 2009, 10:10:36 pm
I've had the Anasazi Verdes for 9 months or so.  They've been good, but they've taken a battering and will need replacing soon.
The heel has bagged out loads more than I may have liked, I'd be tempted to drop another 1/2 size next time.  [I've already dropped a half size from Pinks]  They've worn out (ie big holes) over the toes, so I've either done loads of foot hooks this year or they aren't as tough as the old ones.
Still recommend them though.  And Dragons, but get them tight.

GCW

• forum hero
  • No longer a
#18 Re: Which boots?
January 27, 2009, 10:11:29 pm
6.5 in velcro's, 7 in lace up and 8.5 in dragons.
5.10 sizing is great  ;D

Pinks 9
Verdes 8.5 (but probably better in 8 )
Dragons 9.5

:-\

Zods Beard

• forum abuser
#19 Re: Which boots?
January 27, 2009, 10:26:44 pm
Verdes  6
Velcor's 6.5
Dragons 7 

:wall:

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
#20 Re: Which boots?
January 28, 2009, 09:51:41 am
The point is proven by the last few posts. Try em on!

They've worn out (ie big holes) over the toes, so I've either done loads of foot hooks this year or I'm a fat cunt with shit footwork.

Indeed.  ;)

Houdini

• forum hero
  • Heil Mary
#21 Re: Which boots?
January 28, 2009, 10:03:35 am
Why?  Puss in Boots, of course!

GCW

• forum hero
  • No longer a
#22 Re: Which boots?
January 28, 2009, 04:45:18 pm
They've worn out (ie big holes) over the toes, so I've either done loads of foot hooks this year or I'm a slightly less fat cunt with shit footwork.

Ribbit  ::)

eyehategod

#23 Re: Which boots?
February 04, 2009, 02:01:15 pm
Right tried loads of shoes on in crag x and none of them fit me. The guy in there was really helpfull and said my feet are right for sportiva and suggested either the solution or miura velcro, though they no longer stock sportiva due to them not selling because of there high price. The only issue i now have is nowhere in reasonable driving distance of where i live has either shoe in what would be anywhere near my size so I'm gonna have to male order. So need a bit of help with sizing please. My street size is UK 6, my katana's are a 38, they initially fit the shape of my feet really well but have now bagged out loads. What size should i order in the solution or miura? and which of the two should i go for?
Sorry to be a pain but having tried pretty much everything else on the only option i now have is mail order and don't want to have to keep sending stuff back.
Thanks for any help you can give.

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#24 Re: Which boots?
February 04, 2009, 02:08:44 pm
Right tried loads of shoes on in crag x and none of them fit me. The guy in there was really helpfull and said my feet are right for sportiva and suggested either the solution or miura velcro, though they no longer stock sportiva due to them not selling because of there high price. The only issue i now have is nowhere in reasonable driving distance of where i live has either shoe in what would be anywhere near my size so I'm gonna have to male order. So need a bit of help with sizing please. My street size is UK 6, my katana's are a 38, they initially fit the shape of my feet really well but have now bagged out loads. What size should i order in the solution or miura? and which of the two should i go for?
Sorry to be a pain but having tried pretty much everything else on the only option i now have is mail order and don't want to have to keep sending stuff back.
Thanks for any help you can give.

Well if you've been to CragX in Sheffield.....

UK size 6 equates to Eurpoean 39.5 and Outside in Hathersage stock Miura 38-43 in whole sizes and Sportiva 40-43 in half-sizes:spank:  :read: :google:  ;)

andymarshll

• player
#25 Re: Which boots?
February 04, 2009, 02:11:10 pm
Well i'm a size 9/10 (44) and my vipers are a size 40, my venoms are 39s and so are my testarossas, but then i have stupid skinny feet so if i want to be able to edge rather than just stand on the toe i have to get super tight, when i tried on solutions they felt good in about a size 39, but i couldn't afford them, guess it's up to how much u want to spend.

eyehategod

#26 Re: Which boots?
February 04, 2009, 02:25:19 pm

UK size 6 equates to Eurpoean 39.5 and Outside in Hathersage stock Miura 38-43 in whole sizes and Sportiva 40-43 in half-sizes.  :spank:  :read: :google:  ;)

Exactly, so they are too big so no point going!

magpie

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
#27 Re: Which boots?
February 04, 2009, 02:26:26 pm
so I'm gonna have to male order.
Do you have a web address for that?  ;)

Seriously, if you really can't find them locally then you'd be better spending all the P&P costs you'll waste, sending things back and forth to online places, on some pertol to drive somewhere with a better selection.  It's also an excuse to go climbing for the weekend, to make the distance worthwhile, obviously.

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#28 Re: Which boots?
February 04, 2009, 02:31:07 pm

UK size 6 equates to Eurpoean 39.5 and Outside in Hathersage stock Miura 38-43 in whole sizes and Sportiva 40-43 in half-sizes.  :spank:  :read: :google:  ;)

But how do you know until you've tried, you might find that with the variation in manufacturing that there are a pair of 38's or 39's that fit.  You just can't tell until you've tried them on!!!

I mean for fucks sake, I've tried on several pairs of the same model and size of shoe and found one left one from one box that fits better than the others and one right one from a different box that fitted better than the others.  In part this is because one of my feet is slightly larger than the other, but I'd be extremly surprised if you weren't the same.  Weird that isn't it  ???

Besides which, its not like Outside is a million miles away as you seem to be under the impression, and you could even stop at Burbage/Stanage/Millstone/Owler Tor/Secret Garden/Houndkirk Tor and do some bouldering if the snow melts.

eyehategod

#29 Re: Which boots?
February 04, 2009, 02:32:50 pm
so I'm gonna have to male order.
Do you have a web address for that?  ;)

Seriously, if you really can't find them locally then you'd be better spending all the P&P costs you'll waste, sending things back and forth to online places, on some pertol to drive somewhere with a better selection.  It's also an excuse to go climbing for the weekend, to make the distance worthwhile, obviously.

Only place i've found that has what could be around my size is urban rock in London, which is a fair trek from where i am in Leeds. Plus i'm of to Koh Tao and Koh Samui at the end of the month so want my boots broken in by then and i ain't got the time to make a journey down to London.

eyehategod

#30 Re: Which boots?
February 04, 2009, 02:41:27 pm

But how do you know until you've tried, you might find that with the variation in manufacturing that there are a pair of 38's or 39's that fit.  You just can't tell until you've tried them on!!!

I mean for fucks sake, I've tried on several pairs of the same model and size of shoe and found one left one from one box that fits better than the others and one right one from a different box that fitted better than the others.  In part this is because one of my feet is slightly larger than the other, but I'd be extremly surprised if you weren't the same.  Weird that isn't it  ???

Besides which, its not like Outside is a million miles away as you seem to be under the impression, and you could even stop at Burbage/Stanage/Millstone/Owler Tor/Secret Garden/Houndkirk Tor and do some bouldering if the snow melts.

I do see your point, but given sportiva's reputation for bagging out (which i didn't know before)  i could see them becoming useless just like my Katana's have. I think i should be looking at 37 or less.

magpie

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
#31 Re: Which boots?
February 04, 2009, 02:55:18 pm
Only place i've found that has what could be around my size is urban rock in London, which is a fair trek from where i am in Leeds.
Right, last ditch attempt to help  ;D

Have you tried V12?  They have an amazing range of shoes, and Llanberis isn't that far from Leeds (plus you could go climbing).  I would be amazed if you couldn't find something in there, even I got shoes in there and my weird tiny troll feet fit nothing properly.  And, did you try any ladies shoes?  You're going to get loads more choice in 6's and thereabouts if you try ladies ones.

eyehategod

#32 Re: Which boots?
February 04, 2009, 03:14:52 pm
Only place i've found that has what could be around my size is urban rock in London, which is a fair trek from where i am in Leeds.
Right, last ditch attempt to help  ;D

Have you tried V12?  They have an amazing range of shoes, and Llanberis isn't that far from Leeds (plus you could go climbing).  I would be amazed if you couldn't find something in there, even I got shoes in there and my weird tiny troll feet fit nothing properly.  And, did you try any ladies shoes?  You're going to get loads more choice in 6's and thereabouts if you try ladies ones.

Just checked the route finder and it's gonna be just over 2 hours which is really good. I'll make the trip down there. Thanks for that magpie.

magpie

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
#33 Re: Which boots?
February 04, 2009, 03:52:03 pm
Hurrah!  Sucess at last.  :P

If it's only 2 hours then it's well worth a trip for the climbing alone, never mind the shoes.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal