UKBouldering.com

Shoulder dislocation? (Read 2173 times)

Sloper

• forum hero
  • fat and weak but with good footwork.
Shoulder dislocation?
January 19, 2009, 07:43:06 pm
I had an odd pain in my shoulder on Thursday and then on saturday afternoon tried pulling on to a problem when there was a loud click / crunch / wrenching noise from the right shoulder.

I didn't hurt a lot but felt quite strange and other than the odd twinge hasn't hurt a good deal since.the big  The noise was quite loud and very wrong but I'm wondering what might be the cause.  Any docs with amazing crystal balls care to speculate?

Ohh and the real cause for concern is that its my  :beer1: and  :wank: hand....

account_inactive

• forum hero
#1 Re: Shoulder dislocation?
January 19, 2009, 10:32:11 pm
Go and see someone for a proper diagnosis.  It could be a number of things.  If you do a google search there are a some tests that you can perform for instability.  These may or may not put your mind at rest

Sloper

• forum hero
  • fat and weak but with good footwork.
#2 Re: Shoulder dislocation?
January 19, 2009, 10:53:06 pm
Never had shoulder problems before (except when I f--ked it nearly (not)doing brad pitt) and can't be arsed with waiting for the NHS referral and its not painful enough to pay for the private referral, just curious whether one can have a spontaneous dislocation. 

If the medical stuff on the web is as reliable as the legal stuff I'm staying well clear.

Falling Down

• forum hero
    • bensblogredux
#3 Re: Shoulder dislocation?
January 19, 2009, 11:18:46 pm
Hi Slopes... As the only witness I can vouch for the strange crunchy sound. To be honest I'd be surprised if you'd dislocated it as you were able to climb afterwards but I would get it checked out nevertheless as you might have some problem that needs therapy and/or gym work. 

galpinos

• forum hero
#4 Re: Shoulder dislocation?
January 20, 2009, 09:15:16 am

Unfortunately, dislocations come in many different forms and affect people differently. They range form a mild subluxation to full dislocation. I've had no end of shoulder issues over the years ending in surgury and all I can say is get it looked at. Climbing with shite shoudlers is more grief than it's worth, I ended up on the operating table.

Was there any loss of movement/range? Any feeling of insatbilty/weakness in ceratin positions? Could you get some one to isolate it (i.e. hand on top of the shoulder so you don't bring other muscles/joints into play) and put it through it's range of motion? Bit difficult to describe over the net.

On the plus side for you, if you are who I think you are, dislocations get rarer with age and the chance of re-occuring decreases as well.  :thumbsup:

(I think I've met you at Bear Rock and out in the peak).

Iesu

• obsessive maniac
#5 Re: Shoulder dislocation?
January 22, 2009, 04:14:08 pm
i 2nd the above.

i've had a recurring sublux prone left shoulder since my teens when i had a knock riding my bike (damn it would have been impressive if successful - big box gap to rail overgrind at an indoor park). I REALLY wish i'd got it seen to when i was younger.

it is significantly weaker than my right due to this, and in moments of severe paranoia (usually substance enhanced) I feel like I am a human version of a fiddler crab with one huge arm and one tiny wasted gimlet arm.

for me it has always been pulling hard on gastons (esp. overhead it seems) that makes it go, also press-down into the plank position during hard yoga workouts (i.e. when fatigued).

Like you i don't experience pain, but the feeling of total loss of power is very disconcerting and deeply unpleasant (And dangerous - had a couple of near misses with this one).

at the end of the day you've got nothing to lose by getting it looked at (NHS), only time waiting at the GP/hospital and waiting for the referral.

if you leave it for years like i have it may never heal properly and it will always nag away at you. Shit mine hurts when i BREATHE after a heavy session.

galpinos

• forum hero
#6 Re: Shoulder dislocation?
January 22, 2009, 04:44:19 pm

I've just re-read my post above. I apologise for the retarded spelling, trying to post before the boss spots me is taxing on my rather limited "2 finger stab" typing technique.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal