UKBouldering.com

Tricep injury (Read 1405 times)

KH

• addict
Tricep injury
January 05, 2009, 03:49:41 pm
I have been injured over the last two months, suffering pain in the back of my arms which has stopped my training as I can't even do a pull up.

From hanging with two straight arms, as soon as I start to break the lock and bend my arms, a sharp pain shoots through the backs of both arms.  I think I've narrowed the pain down to the Triceps (Triceps brachii - Long Head) and Teres Major.  I don't recall a specific event causing the pain; it just appeared one day when warming up to do some training.  I do a lot of one arm pull up and campus training, but this has obviously stopped since being injured.  I am still able to climb, but it takes almost 2 hours to warm up before I can pull (even to say 75% of normal).  Prior to climbing, I take anti-inflammatories (800mg), but I don't take them at any other time as the pain is only present when training and climbing.  I try to stretch a lot, but have struggled to work out the best way to stretch out the area.

Has anyone experienced anything similar or have suggestions to cure.  Any help would be greatly appreciated!

erm, sam

• forum hero
#1 Re: Tricep injury
January 05, 2009, 10:40:08 pm
Erm, maybe I'm missing something but isn't taking anti inflammatorys before training, especially if you have an injury rather a bad idea? If they reduce pain etc how do you know if you are overdoing it or not? If the problem has been going on for 2 months or what have you with no improvement, then you need to try something different. How long have you had a total rest for? I rather imagine a good physio should be your next port of call..
Good luck.

The Sausage

• forum abuser
#2 Re: Tricep injury
January 06, 2009, 01:13:05 pm
erm, doesn't sound like atricep injury to me. Most likely something to do with the radial nerve. Do you get any numbness or pins and needles in your hand? what about any pain around the outsides of your elbow joint? You need to get it checked out by a physio. Where do you live? ask on here for recommendations for physios in your area.

And beware of taking any advice off the internet that isn't to get it properly assessed by someone who knows what they're doing.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal