UKBouldering.com

Do you get sick of how this forum looks? (Read 6308 times)

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
Do you get sick of how this forum looks?
January 03, 2009, 08:54:31 am

I know I do - after a while I just want a change of colours, I get sick of looking at that same light-blue all the time.

One solution would be to offer different forum themes. This is the most thorough solution but it makes installing forum extensions and performing forum upgrades a potential nightmare, though with SMF 2.0 this might change.

Anyway, in the meantime, if you use Firefox, there is a great solution:

Install the "Stylish" extension

Now you can skin any website just how you want it. You'll need some basic knowledge of CSS.

I've changed the default forum look as follows:

before

after

You can install this style into stylish from here.

If you come up with some nice styles, please upload them to userstyles.org so we can all try them out :)

Stylish can be used for more than just changing colours though, you can hide parts of websites, or even re-organise the way they look completely. On userstyles.org there's loads of pre-made styles for popular sites like facebook, youtube, etc.

I'm using this youtube one.

GCW

• forum hero
  • No longer a
No, I don't get bored of the look.  It's so good for embedding pics/vids etc that I really don't notice it much.
Looks fine to me, but I don't spend much time on here.

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
but I don't spend much time on here.
3604 posts ;)

GCW

• forum hero
  • No longer a
I was referring to the 105 days  :-[

fatdoc

• forum hero
  • old and fearful
    • http://www.pincheswall.co.uk
 :o :o :o

I'm not bothered by the look, it's the content that counts! (or something like that, after 10 pints  :alky:)

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
Ok, here's another one for minimal types or who those who find it hard to read the forum at work. All text is black, white or grey. All images and videos suppressed so nasty NSFW surprises. Only problem is that the "last post" image from the "show unread posts" screen is gone too.

Should probably reformat the screen to make it look more like a work document.

http://userstyles.org/styles/13505

« Last Edit: January 04, 2009, 07:45:34 pm by Bubba »

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
Cool, way of changing the look of forums good find Bubba.

Thought I'd mention that the forums work well and are very navigable using text-based browsers such as Lynx (as I've been forced to do today 'cause the IT clowns have taken our DNS server off-line so I'm "forced" to use a text-console over SSH to get online, one of the geeky benefits of knowing your home IP address!  Actually I'm not that geeky, but do have it saved on my phone!)

tomtom

• forum hero
Thought I'd mention that the forums work well and are very navigable using text-based browsers such as Lynx
Also works ace on an iphone - perfectly legible and useable... (aside from the raft of animated emoticons slows things down when composing messages...)

If it aint broke, dont fix it IMHO...

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder

Also works ace on an iphone - perfectly legible and useable... (aside from the raft of animated emoticons slows things down when composing messages...)

If it aint broke, dont fix it IMHO...

I was wondering about this the other day, whilst its browsable on the N95 increasingly sites have CSS specifically set up for low-resolution, and I was wondering if there are any available for SMF.  Will have a hunt when I'm at home later and have more than one tab available!

slack

fatdoc

• forum hero
  • old and fearful
    • http://www.pincheswall.co.uk
Agreed that I phone views the forum perfect

Having said that the safari browser views everything well on I phone

Cool!!

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder

I was wondering about this the other day, whilst its browsable on the N95 increasingly sites have CSS specifically set up for low-resolution, and I was wondering if there are any available for SMF.  Will have a hunt when I'm at home later and have more than one tab available!

slack

Seems you can do it by adding an extension to your URL if your browser isn't auto-detected (see and [url=http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=256894.0]here for SMF2.0).  Will try it out and report back.

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
Clearly I was having a fuckwit moment with the links there, it should have been SMF 1.* and SMF 2.0.

Checked out all three options on the N95 default browser, and of the three extensions to the URL (?wap, ?wap2 and ?imode) the first is more basic and the second two are virtually identical.

If you're phone isn't displaying the site in mobile mode try the following...

Code: [Select]
[url]http://ukbouldering.com/board/index.php?wap2[/url]
[url]http://ukbouldering.com/board/index.php?imode[/url]

One thing neither of these seems to do is parse/embed links within posts, so the two links at the top aren't clickable from the phone, but thats kind of a minor nuance.

slack

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero

When Firefox for Symbian is released I guess it'll be possible to use the userstyles extension and create a mobile stylesheet :)

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder

When Firefox for Symbian is released I guess it'll be possible to use the userstyles extension and create a mobile stylesheet :)

Yeah that'll be cool.  Seems to be lots of noise asking "When will Firefox be available for S60?" but not much solid info.

Whilst searching though I found a useful Firefox add-on for signing unsigned SIS files (which I shall now go and post in other threads  ;D)

Paul B

• forum hero
I'm not bothered by the look, it's the content that counts!

second that!
Its quite worrying then that I can't seem to leave the way my blog looks alone! I do think the minimal might come in handy in the 'office' as people always stare at all the twitching smileys while i'm posting.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal