UKBouldering.com

Woodie Issues (Read 2407 times)

fiveknuckle21

• menacing presence
Woodie Issues
January 01, 2009, 11:17:47 pm
I have recently built a small woodie at my place and struggling with what are probably really basic issues.

Its 8 ft high with a tidgy kickboard at about 30-35 degrees. Ive got a few holds on at the moment but am looking to get some variation in grip - theres just slopey crimps and screw-ons at the moment. I have a budget of about 50£ for a set of holds and was wondering if anyone had any recommendations. I was looking at the beacon climbing cellar dwellers (http://www.beaconclimbing.com/product_info.php?cPath=36_19&products_id=87) set but thought they all look quite similar?

Footholds i know are a standard problem and i was thinking of maybe making some resin efforts or small wooden style ones. Are these worth the effort or should i just buy some cheap screw-ons?

Its built under a car port and as such is open to the elements. They seem to be getting greasy rather quickly and i am repeatedly popping off the slopers at present. Any tips for this or do i just need to brush harder?

More of a personal issue but I cant help but pinch the holds... even the clear screw-on crimps! Is this a common problem or do i just need to be more disciplined....?

Thanks, Andy

Eddies

• forum hero
#1 Re: Woodie Issues
January 01, 2009, 11:43:00 pm
Pester your local climbing wall for cheap used holds, look on e-bay and UKC for people selling holds, make foot jibs and handholds from wood.
You can never have too many holds!

I find new holds are greasy at first (maybe due to something they put in the mould to help it release) big slopers eat chalk for a while untill they bed-in!
Maybe invest in a de-humidifier to help with the damp issues.

Krank

• junky
  • VIVA LA CHAPEL
  • Its meant to be hard
#2 Re: Woodie Issues
January 02, 2009, 12:19:39 am
Im with eddie the slopers on the wall we climb at were greasy as fook for a couple of weeks but are ok now.
I suffer with pinching slopers, my new years resolutions is to never use thumbs, NEVER. wood holds should be fine.

mini

• forum abuser
  • A not so
#3 Re: Woodie Issues
January 02, 2009, 09:27:10 am

Its built under a car port and as such is open to the elements.

Quote from: EDDIES
Maybe invest in a de-humidifier to help with the damp issues.

:wall: :wall:

Eddies

• forum hero
#4 Re: Woodie Issues
January 02, 2009, 10:06:58 am
lol, just read that back and realised my mistake!
DOH

Hey it was new years day OK... i was fragile!  :-[

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal