UKBouldering.com

Physios in Leeds (Read 2519 times)

Will Hunt

• forum hero
  • Superworm is super-long
    • Unknown Stones
Physios in Leeds
January 01, 2009, 01:09:25 pm
Post accident and kind advice from the Fatdoc I'm looking for any good physio recommendations in Leeds. Anyone know any good ones? Is NHS physio OK there?

Iesu

• obsessive maniac
#1 Re: Physios in Leeds
January 05, 2009, 10:35:13 am
if you're young, fit and otherwise healthy the NHS physio's will look at you, watch your range of movement, refuse to actually lay a finger on you and likely say "come back when you can't walk/work or are an old granny with a dodgy hip".

go private and they will rub you, tickle you, wave ultrasound thingamyjiggs at you (to break down the scar tissue.....) etc etc.

Good one in Horsforth if you're on that side of town - good advice, does accupuncture and all dat. I had some free sessions there on insurance following a whiplash injury, and even went back and paid (free theraband if you ask nice and smile).
http://www.physioworld.co.uk/

tj

• regular
#2 Re: Physios in Leeds
January 05, 2009, 07:23:14 pm
Not strictly true... Whereas it's undeniable that there are NHS physio's who don't understand/appreciate a patient's rehab goals, there are physio's working within the Leeds NHS hospitals who will aim to rehab to a patient's desired level. If this means bouldering/climbing, that's no reason not to rehab to bouldering/climbing. For example, there's a lower-limb gym based @ St James' which receives many of it's referrals from the orthopaedic teams based at Leeds General Infirmary. These patients frequently require (and receive!) many months of rehab, sometimes more frequently than once a week, and all free.... This includes rehab up to competitive contact sports.

People are very quick to criticise the NHS, and of course, it's far from perfect. But it also does some pretty good stuff too. The cost of private physio for rehab'ing back from a fractured femur wouldn't be insubstantial.

As an aside, you could theoretically get the same physio @ a private clinic who would've seen you @ an NHS hospital...

To the OP, I apologise for the slight sidetrack this has taken. On discharge, you should have a referral to an NHS physio (if not, why not?). There are knowledgeable and capable NHS physio's working in Leeds area- I'd give it a chance!

All the best with your recovery.

Iesu

• obsessive maniac
#3 Re: Physios in Leeds
January 06, 2009, 10:12:29 am
Not strictly true... Whereas it's undeniable that there are NHS physio's who don't understand/appreciate a patient's rehab goals, there are physio's working within the Leeds NHS hospitals who will aim to rehab to a patient's desired level.

Apologies for the generalisation - just my experience, is all.

"there's nothing we can do about your hip, mr davies" says mr consultant at the LGI. "thank you very much and goodbye" says i.

tomtom

• forum hero
#4 Re: Physios in Leeds
January 06, 2009, 10:40:37 am
Post accident and kind advice from the Fatdoc I'm looking for any good physio recommendations in Leeds. Anyone know any good ones? Is NHS physio OK there?
When I was at Leeds in the climbing club etc.. a friend in the club (Paul) bust his ankle (may have been both) after unsuccessfully soloing demon wall.. he ended up marrying his physio (NHS just in case you were wondering..) AND if my hazy memory serves me right, his mate Rich ended up marrying her physio colleague as well...  so every cloud has a silver lining etc..
 ;)

Mind you, having said that, you'll probably end up with a 21 stone tranny called Brenda(n)!

Got to be worth giving the NHS a go first and if not happy then try elsewhere?

Will Hunt

• forum hero
  • Superworm is super-long
    • Unknown Stones
#5 Re: Physios in Leeds
January 06, 2009, 06:30:20 pm
Anyone got the number of a hot physio in Leeds?  ;)

tomtom

• forum hero
#6 Re: Physios in Leeds
January 06, 2009, 07:34:48 pm
Anyone got the number of a hot physio in Leeds?  ;)
Thats more like it  ;)

Welsh Steel

#7 Re: Physios in Leeds
January 07, 2009, 08:17:12 pm
Gareth Jones from Carnegie Sports injury clinic. Comes highly recommended, no idea what the charges are etc. He climbs so may be more sympathetic and is a wizard with the acupuncture needles too. He has done some modellin for catalogues with me mate Mark. Check him out at.

www.alirose.net/theteam/gareth-jones

Hope it helps. Get well soon.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal