UKBouldering.com

Vegetarianism works; popping pills does not... (Read 3138 times)

Caesar Power

• regular
  • SkuLLZ!
    • noise
Bin the vit C's

Devour more chips?

yeah?

chriss

• obsessive maniac
This has been my first full year as a vegan & also my best ever climbing year, so i tend to agree.

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
 :-\  What about the other 50% of the population  ;)

Houdini

• forum hero
  • Heil Mary
Not got cancer yet *touches wood* but I'm hardly ever ill.  Almost never, infact.  Even common colds (I can't remember having flu) or sore throats, you know, the usual smalltime bacterial/viral stuff.  Veggie now for 20 years.  I'm bowled over just how often some people are poorly w/ common illnesses.  The last time I took a day off work was due to getting something nasty in my eye, previous to that it was because I got sunstroke about 6 years back...

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
Stick with the WINE Houd, the extracts actually kill cancer cells according to a recent study:alky: :alky: :alky:

The Sausage

• forum abuser
mmm, didn't find the bit in the article mentioning vegetarianism, just vegetables (meat eaters eat those too). Also, don't forget that the article only says that these pills are not beneficial in preventing cancer, not that they're a waste of time. Not that I'm advocating pills over a balanced diet, but misquoting scientific papers is something we should leave to the media.

Incidently, If you read the bad science column in the guardian, you'd know this already - it's on-line (look in the science section of guardian.co.uk), or in the saturday guardian. It's all about mis-reporting of science in the media, and is very informative and funny too. Unlike myself.

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
Incidently, If you read the bad science column in the guardian, you'd know this already - it's on-line (look in the science section of guardian.co.uk), or in the saturday guardian. It's all about mis-reporting of science in the media, and is very informative and funny too. Unlike myself.

An excellent exposition of many "mistaakes" made when reporting science/statistics (and after all statistics underpin most science) is Darell Huff : How to Lie with Statistics.  For specifics of how graphs can be used and abused you can't do better than Edward Tufte : The Visual Display of Quantitative Information.  Just a shame most journalists don't have these as pre-requisite reading  :(

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal