UKBouldering.com

Lactic Acid and Bicarbonate of Soda (Read 2739 times)

Breaded_Gecko

• regular
Lactic Acid and Bicarbonate of Soda
December 22, 2008, 10:39:36 pm
Just came across a webpage suggesting Bicarbonate of Soda to reduce the acidity of the blood, which can aid muscles used for high intensity anaerobic exercise. I'm thinking that this is relavant to bouldering. The webpage: http://www.brianmac.co.uk/lactic.htm

I know the stuff works for de-cheesing stinkin' shoes. And although I'm not a shoe, muscle burn can stink. And it raises cakes, so maybe it'll be raising me up problems just the same.

So anyone got any less crude knowledge 'bout bouldering application? I'd rather supplement as little as poss, but extending my sessions safely with a throwaway household foodstuff seems rather appealing.

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#1 Re: Lactic Acid and Bicarbonate of Soda
December 22, 2008, 11:09:06 pm
I read about this when I was doing local comps back in the mid 90s. Never made much difference, other than finding out bucarb is an effective laxative. Don't say i didn't warn you.

Breaded_Gecko

• regular
#2 Re: Lactic Acid and Bicarbonate of Soda
December 23, 2008, 05:34:06 pm
I read about this when I was doing local comps back in the mid 90s. Never made much difference, other than finding out bucarb is an effective laxative. Don't say i didn't warn you.

So, with the risk of a very embarrasing time up the walls, spare slacks in hand, this could be a bit desperate. maybe it works only for punters like myself. It does 'speculate':
It has been suggested that the more highly trained athletes are less likely to benefit from it because their body's natural buffering systems are already so well developed, but so far, this is just speculation.

Bit of a digression, but is developing lactic tolerance specific from limb to limb, or would doing more aerobic exercise improve my general lactic tolerance or just that of my legs. I.e. will, say, cycling get my arms lactic tolerant, even though they don't get a work out? If so, my thinkin is that my sesssions could get extended by doing more aerobics on days off bouldering, along with the cardio...as you can tell, i ain't no sport science person.

GCW

• forum hero
  • No longer a
#3 Re: Lactic Acid and Bicarbonate of Soda
December 23, 2008, 05:46:24 pm
I would be pretty dubious about this.  You'll have to take a fair bit before you get sufficient gastric absorption for it to have any effect on the blood.
Add to this the fact that muscle recovery isn't purely lactate related, and I'll bet my hat that it's a load of toss.

webbo

• forum hero
#4 Re: Lactic Acid and Bicarbonate of Soda
December 24, 2008, 08:52:04 am

Bit of a digression, but is developing lactic tolerance specific from limb to limb, or would doing more aerobic exercise improve my general lactic tolerance or just that of my legs. I.e. will, say, cycling get my arms lactic tolerant, even though they don't get a work out? If so, my thinkin is that my sesssions could get extended by doing more aerobics on days off bouldering, along with the cardio...as you can tell, i ain't no sport science person.
yes in the same way that doing loads of heavy squats isn't going to help you do a one armer.the benefit of cardio is that you will feel less out of breath on things and being fitter you will recover quicker and you might live longer.

joswald

#5 Re: Lactic Acid and Bicarbonate of Soda
December 24, 2008, 11:27:13 am
yes in the same way that doing loads of heavy squats isn't going to help you do a one armer.the benefit of cardio is that you will feel less out of breath on things and being fitter you will recover quicker and you might live longer.
[/quote]

This may be of interest to you. http://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/t.php?t=333012

Turboman

• addict
#6 Re: Lactic Acid and Bicarbonate of Soda
January 21, 2009, 10:03:10 pm
Just so you don't waste your money....

Played with this stuff whilst training Power Endurance last winter.  Despite the apparent acclaim from top athletes it made F#@k all difference.  Supposed to offset the burn from lactic acid.  I think it's really aimed at endurance athletes (not much use to a peak  climber then).

http://www.sportlegs.com/about/welcome.asp

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal