UKBouldering.com

eccentric exercises (Read 2928 times)

coolboy

• regular
eccentric exercises
December 20, 2008, 05:51:11 pm
Think I've got a tendinosis of my right extensor carpi radialis longus, ongoing for 18 months or so and was agony after trying badminton last week, anyone any experience of how to do eccentric exercises to how and improve this? How many reps, using a thermoband? I know ultrasound may be a possible help too?

Any thoughts appreciated

tom

robertostallioni

• forum hero
#1 Re: eccentric exercises
December 20, 2008, 09:57:39 pm
Found this http://www.shoulderdoc.co.uk/article.asp?article=1268&section=205 whilst looking for this example of eccentric exercises

moose

• forum hero
  • Lankenstein's Monster
  • el flaco lento
#2 Re: eccentric exercises
December 20, 2008, 10:32:24 pm
The equivalent exercise with a dumbbell (and more), plus lots of sensible seeming advice here:

http://www.athlon.com.au/articles/r&i_dodgyelbow.pdf

If you are chary of information from the internet,  I can at least confirm that the exercises are near-identical to those prescribed by an NHS physio for my golfer's elbow (in fact I've just done a set).  Re ultrasound, the article and one of my physio's said there was no point.  However, another physio gave me a bout of it and whilst it felt good afterwards, as to whether it helped, I can't say (thankfully I don't possess a spare afflicted limb to use as a control).

Good luck... I sometimes wish I'd have broken my elbow in my tumble rather than triggered tendonitis... healing may have taken longer but at least there might have been less uncertainty about when and how far to push it etc (sorry, getting a bit self -pitying).

coolboy

• regular
#3 Re: eccentric exercises
December 21, 2008, 01:17:05 pm
Cheers guys, that athlon site was interesting reading,even thought I'm not completely sure about osteopaths!

Certain I don't have an epicondylitis, which I'm sure is equally annoying but could well be a chronic brachioradialis strain.

Will let you know how I get on but not expecting any quick fixes  :(

tom

erm, sam

• forum hero
#4 Re: eccentric exercises
December 22, 2008, 06:32:05 pm
I would take a good Oesteopath over a bad Physio any day, and vice versa. I think it all comes down to the individual skills and interests of the practitioner rather than one or the other practise being better.

tomtom

• forum hero
#5 Re: eccentric exercises
December 22, 2008, 06:56:42 pm

Good luck... I sometimes wish I'd have broken my elbow in my tumble rather than triggered tendonitis... healing may have taken longer but at least there might have been less uncertainty about when and how far to push it etc (sorry, getting a bit self -pitying).

How is the elbow Moose? was that the prognosis - tendonitus? Are you still able to climb or is it a leave it well alone for an uncertain length of time jobs? (hoping not...)
Tom

moose

• forum hero
  • Lankenstein's Monster
  • el flaco lento
#6 Re: eccentric exercises
December 22, 2008, 07:55:47 pm
I managed to get some NHS physio and they confirmed it as Golfer's Elbow.  Aside from the exercises they gave me, I left it well alone for around two months before starting to climb again (lots of hill walking and cardio at the gym.... the latter reminded me why I hated sport at school!).  Happily the physio's recommendation to give it some vertical grief coincided with a pre-booked sport climbing holiday which went well, loss of endurance aside.

Since then it's been steadily getting better.  The insertion still aches and pulls after climbing, but I'm back bouldering at resonable intensity 3-4 times a week and there haven't been any major regressions / relapses.  It still gives me enough grief though that I whack it in a bowl of ice and take ibuprofen after every session, and I'm still doing physio exercises (from the athlon article).  On the one hand, I have enough hope for the near future that I haven't written a reply to the Best of 2008 thread.... just in case I send something significant in the next week.  However, every time I come home I am terrified that the pain means that this time I've knacked it and I'm going to wake up next morning in agony.  It's the hope that kills!

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal