UKBouldering.com

Broadband keeps dropping... (Read 1390 times)

tomtom

• forum hero
Broadband keeps dropping...
December 14, 2008, 02:47:26 pm
Hello,
Since starting to stream live footy (thanks v much to the link on ukb) my router keeps dropping the bb connection then re starting it about every 15 min. Is this a router issue, or is thismy ISP trying to stop me using too much bandwidth! Doesn't seem to happen with iplayer...
T

Jim

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
  • Mostly Injured
  • Pregnant Horse
    • Bouldering POI's for tomtom
#1 Re: Broadband keeps dropping...
December 14, 2008, 04:55:25 pm
could be either, have you rebooted your router? do you have a capped download limit? could just be BT upgrading the exchange.
I'd try the router reboot first, then hard reset router and set up again, then re-install windows or whatever your using, then phone ISP

dobbin

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Buoux 7a
#2 Re: Broadband keeps dropping...
December 14, 2008, 05:39:10 pm
are you sure its your router thats dropping the connection to the interweb? it could be your connection to the router, or your computer to the server streaming the content. Thinking about how I would prove this, first place to look would be router logs - if its getting disconnected presumably it will tell you why and show a reconnection. There may even be a meaningful message here (unlikely!).

Failing that, I would start a continuous ping to your router and another one to an internet server - for instance "ping -t 158.43.240.4". Leave these running and then start watching whatever it is you have a problem with. When the problem starts have a look back at your continuous pings - do both time out or just the internet one? or neither? in which case its the content server you are connecting to and not you at all.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal