UKBouldering.com

cat 6 ethernet cable length (Read 2261 times)

bobkatebob

• menacing presence
cat 6 ethernet cable length
December 12, 2008, 10:56:32 am
I hope someone can help me.
I am looking at getting about 40m worth of cat 6 shielded ethernet cable.

I see that most places only do them up to 30m, is this due to signal degridation?

butters

• forum hero
  • Natural Born Punter
  • Everything's a grade harder hauling these 'burns!!
    • blog of butters
#1 Re: cat 6 ethernet cable length
December 12, 2008, 11:08:25 am
I hope someone can help me.
I am looking at getting about 40m worth of cat 6 shielded ethernet cable.

I see that most places only do them up to 30m, is this due to signal degridation?

Recommended max. length is 100m so it won't be down to signal degradation - probably down to the fact that a 30m data cable is enormous as these things go.

bluebrad

bobkatebob

• menacing presence
#2 Re: cat 6 ethernet cable length
December 12, 2008, 11:13:21 am
Ah, ok.

Thanks for that. It's just I need it to go from one end of the house to the other (not via a straight line either) and I cant wifi it do to rather thick walls in the centre of the house.

Do you (or anyone else reading this) have recomendations of where I could try to get a cable of the spec I am looking for? I don't want to buy a reel of it and put the ends on myself as I don't trust myself to get it right (havn't done electronics for about 20 years  :o )

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#3 Re: cat 6 ethernet cable length
December 12, 2008, 11:20:00 am
Ah, ok.

Thanks for that. It's just I need it to go from one end of the house to the other (not via a straight line either) and I cant wifi it do to rather thick walls in the centre of the house.

Do you (or anyone else reading this) have recomendations of where I could try to get a cable of the spec I am looking for? I don't want to buy a reel of it and put the ends on myself as I don't trust myself to get it right (havn't done electronics for about 20 years  :o )

Some thoughts on different online stores here.

A few to search through

bobkatebob

• menacing presence
#4 Re: cat 6 ethernet cable length
December 12, 2008, 11:21:58 am
I'm usually good with google  :-[

Thanks for the info  :)

Obi-Wan is lost...

• forum hero
#5 Re: cat 6 ethernet cable length
December 12, 2008, 03:32:46 pm
40m will be fine, currently working on networks in 3 new schools, only lengths over 90m have needed to be broken up by a switch. Putting Cat6 cable ends on is easy if a little fiddlely. You do need a special tool. Where are you based? If you are in Shef, old school shops like Bardwells on abbeydale road will make up cable to a required length. http://www.bardwells.co.uk/default.asp

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal