UKBouldering.com

significant repeats (Read 4611946 times)

abarro81

• forum hero
#6000 Re: significant repeats
July 17, 2015, 10:26:03 pm
I think ukb is a fine place to ask for evidence. No idea about the problem in magic, no-one has logged it on 8a.

rodma

• forum hero
#6001 Re: significant repeats
July 17, 2015, 10:27:37 pm
I just think there's better ways of going about it that publicly asking for 'evidence' or suggesting someone is bullshitting on ukb. It just strikes me as having potentially very negative consequences for someone.

Dave, saying ukb is the perfect place for this is like saying the Daily Mail is the perfect place for Mo Farah to defend doping suspicions. Or I'm reading it all wrong and missed the altruistic nature of the post and ukb generally.
Perhaps you're correct, but if it's a joke, then it's run its course and boy am I bored of it. Do you see what I did there?

Boredboy

• menacing presence
#6002 Re: significant repeats
July 17, 2015, 10:29:49 pm
Hey Dave / Shark delete my account. Thanks

abarro81

• forum hero
#6003 Re: significant repeats
July 17, 2015, 10:36:23 pm
You want your account deleted because someone doubted someone? Touchy mo fo aren't you.

a dense loner

• forum hero
#6004 Re: significant repeats
July 17, 2015, 10:41:00 pm
Yes I find that a bit strange too

On another note what the hell is dark matter? Apart from class if I do say so myself. There's nothing left in that cave for gods sake, I hope no atheists/agnostics delete their accounts on my behalf.

shark

• Administrator
  • forum hero
  • insect overlord #1
#6005 Re: significant repeats
July 17, 2015, 10:42:03 pm

Dont be like that - its not taboo to ask for proof and more on the subject here

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Abominable sex magick practitioner and climbing heathen
  • Whut
#6006 Re: significant repeats
July 17, 2015, 10:46:02 pm
 :popcorn:

Rodma, it would have been clearer to raise the Fatman issue (that Fraser mentioned) in your initial post.

dave

#6007 Re: significant repeats
July 17, 2015, 11:16:56 pm

Since you're still logged in 45mins later I'll assume you're not that serious.

Boredboy

• menacing presence
#6008 Re: significant repeats
July 17, 2015, 11:27:16 pm
Logging out now Dave, delete it for me if you could. Thanks.

rodma

• forum hero
#6009 Re: significant repeats
July 18, 2015, 07:56:58 am
[emoji14]opcorn:

Rodma, it would have been clearer to raise the Fatman issue (that Fraser mentioned) in your initial post.
Yeah, but I'd had a drink [emoji14]

I did mention fatman on a previous post, as has dense, I just thought people might have remembered that. Lesson learnt :)

On a  more important note, don't go boredboy, it's healthy that there are people arguing both sides of the issue. Unless you hate the forum that is.

Dense, do you know of any others that have claimed that "dark matter" problem?

a dense loner

• forum hero
#6010 Re: significant repeats
July 18, 2015, 08:55:07 am
I'd never heard of that dark matter problem in the cave before yesterday! The thing that really annoys me about Swiss is that I've seen lots of people start a move or two in and then claim the problem and say Swiss is soft. I've seen 4 off the top of my head claim 8a for doing from the darkness to the sunshine (?) from a couple of moves in, that's the r-l traverse ish in the cave.

I also think any times a good time to say you don't believe someone if you don't, except maybe if they've told you their mums dead and you're stood with them at the funeral.

iwasmexican

• obsessive maniac
#6011 Re: significant repeats
July 18, 2015, 09:21:51 am
dark matter is the line that starts as for in search of time lost as for this:

but at the hold woods pauses/ french blows on (which is a rubbish little 3 finger spike :bow:) it breaks out into from the darkness to the sunshine which is this:

that breaks down into a few moves of 7C/+, to a jug and then into a long 7C (which is from the jug to the sunshine which some people get confused with from the darkness as its a much more logical and less contrived start than in the middle of the roof)

rodma

• forum hero
#6012 Re: significant repeats
July 18, 2015, 09:24:28 am
Good knowledge Chris :D

Doylo

• forum hero
#6013 Re: significant repeats
July 18, 2015, 09:26:33 am
Sounds like the Swiss Parisellas.

Nibile

• forum hero
  • Part Animal Part Machine
    • TOTOLORE
#6014 Re: significant repeats
July 18, 2015, 09:34:59 am
Yes, but without the aura, the greatness, the Jerry, the Ben, the Malcolm.

EdGowSmith

• menacing presence
#6015 Re: significant repeats
July 18, 2015, 09:45:23 am
The problem Ellis claimed starts Dark Matter 3 hand-moves in, from the jug.

To my knowledge, when he did it he had no witnesses or video, but his friend Tom saw him fall off an easy move right at the very end on a previous session.

EStephens

• regular
#6016 Re: significant repeats
July 18, 2015, 10:15:24 am
As far as I'm aware (from spending some time in that cave and speaking to others) Dark Matter starts sitting as for Right/Left Hand of Darkness. It then comes out left where In Search of Time Lost goes, but instead of heading right back into the finish of R/L Hand of Darkness it heads out the left of the cave and tops out up there (From Darkness to Sunshine). Its definitely slightly Parisellas in there, but this is only made worse by people logging 4 different versions of the same problem.

To my knowledge Ellis has done exactly this. He has logged a 7C, 8A, 8A+ and now 8B+ version to the problem which only exists (again to my knowledge) as an 8A and 8C. These being From Darkness to Sunshine and Dark Matter. To my eyes anything else is an excuse to log another problem by starting 3 moves lower but not from the proper start.

Doylo

• forum hero
#6017 Re: significant repeats
July 18, 2015, 10:23:38 am
Hmm makes bouldering look a bit silly that...

rodma

• forum hero
#6018 Re: significant repeats
July 18, 2015, 10:24:25 am
The problem Ellis claimed starts Dark Matter 3 hand-moves in, from the jug.

To my knowledge, when he did it he had no witnesses or video, but his friend Tom saw him fall off an easy move right at the very end on a previous session.

Given last year's debacle I thought it was pretty clear that taking shit footage, even just on a smartphone placed in a shoe on the ground was pretty important in order to substantiate such claims, especially when all potential witnesses had left.

AJM

• obsessive maniac
#6019 Re: significant repeats
July 18, 2015, 10:36:57 am
Well it is bolted - unlike 'real' trad you could take a long clipstick..  :worms:

Having only just read the interview, I've just got this reference. It does seem a bit out of kilter with the style of the area doesn't it.....

granticus

• forum abuser
#6020 Re: significant repeats
July 18, 2015, 10:51:17 am
There is no doubting that EBB is a strong and talented young climber.  See the video of him cruising Brian at Anstey's if you doubt this.  However, a while back on this forum Ed informed me Ellis had done a project at Lynmouth West.  I asked a couple of questions about where he started and finished.  Ed told me he wasn't with Ellis at the time and would ask.  Since then no word or claim has been made by Ellis, despite footage of other problems on the same block no footage of the project... What I would really hate to see is someone with talent becoming embittered due to criticism by old farts like me.  I would also hope that youthful enthusiasm, ambition and the want for recognition aren't the catalyst for a loss of patience leading to dubious claims which can't be backed up.

DAVETHOMAS90

• forum hero
  • Dave Thomas is an annual climber to 1.7m, with strongly fragrant flowers
  • Don't die with your music still inside you ;)
#6021 Re: significant repeats
July 18, 2015, 12:54:22 pm
In a galaxy, far, far away..

a while back on this forum Ed informed me Ellis had done a project at Lynmouth West.  I asked a couple of questions about where he started and finished.  Ed told me he wasn't with Ellis at the time and would ask.  Since then no word or claim has been made by Ellis, despite footage of other problems on the same block no footage of the project..

I find speculation like this worrying.

Sorry  :doubt:

Personally, I've never felt concerned about the possibility of spurious claims by other climbers.

I like to think that enthusiasm for climbing is the motivating factor, not what others think, and that the only thing that matters, is that other people are enjoying their climbing as much as me.

Is that being over simplistic? I know I'd find a third hand request - if it ever reached me - to prove my innocence, an unwarranted intrusion into a space that was always far more about exploring what I already was, than proving to somebody else, what I was/was not.

I also care little for - amongst other things - deliberations on who is/is not a wad. Why would I view another climber that way?

I know we've been here before. I've always been far more inspired and motivated by what certain climbers have done, than I've been troubled by what they may not have done.

How do we know if a claim is dubious, if it can't be backed up? Surely this comes down to no more than your trust or otherwise, in the integrity of another person.

Beastly Squirrel

• player
  • a squirrel
#6022 Re: significant repeats
July 18, 2015, 01:12:36 pm
I think Ellis is a strong climber, no one can really deny that. I admire his determination and I wouldn't care of he kept himself to himself...

However his morals and attitude towards myself and others may question what he is doing.

Ed Gow-Smith and I gave Ellis a camera and tripod to borrow as 4 people messaged me asking if he is bullshit or not and I thought that was maybe unfair if he didn't have any device to film with. Although he has a phone with a camera and his friend Tom had a camera (but said he wanted photos).
I sent him a polite text asking him to film (or if he had any) and he gave a pretty rude reply. I assume he doesn't have film but it would be nice if he proved me wrong.

In the last few months or so Ellis had become UKC crag moderator for a number or crags including Magic Wood, areas in Font (which he hasn't even been to) and Bonehill (Dartmoor). For some unexplained reason, problems that I've climbed seam to get downgraded and problems he climbs get upgraded. He claims it is not him, however it took A LOT of asking for him to change them to the correct/original grades.

He has also advertised that he climbed on wet rock in a news article on one of my problems, possibly to try and look stronger? Bearing in mind beginner climbers will read these articles, and if they think climbing on wet rock and eroding boulders is now it's done, then a lot of boulder problems will be destroyed for future climbers.

It makes me sad writing this, I really hope I am wrong but it defiantly doesn't seam that way.

abarro81

• forum hero
#6023 Re: significant repeats
July 18, 2015, 03:27:51 pm
Leaving aside dodgy grades or anything else, let's just get the main question out the way: has anyone seen Ellis climb anything hard or not? Feats of strength, edited footage or nearly doing things is all irrelevant so no need to bring it up. Anyone wanting to stay anonomous just PM me or rodma or someone.

P.s. to DT about proof - if people were doubting me I'd rather they did it on a public forum where I could respond than behind my back in private.

a dense loner

• forum hero
#6024 Re: significant repeats
July 18, 2015, 03:39:20 pm
I doubt you've ever done a hard move you massive rubber wearing freak! Hard probs yes, hard moves no    >:(

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal