UKBouldering.com

significant repeats (Read 4614683 times)

Duncan campbell

• junky
#11275 Re: significant repeats
October 11, 2023, 03:08:03 pm
Think P-whiddy flashed it didn’t he??

That wasn’t meant as a random comment… more in response to Spidermonkey09 mentioning AW being stronger than Tom or Pete… I assumed from that that he was inferring that p-whiskey didn’t flash it? Was Pete’s the first flash?

duncan

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#11276 Re: significant repeats
October 11, 2023, 03:27:38 pm
That's really cool.

The Kraken looks to be a series of half-decent hand jam pods with a thin section in the middle more resembling conventional roof climbing (viewed from the comfort of the shingle beach, although I could pull-on with the hand jams a couple of places). Nothing that resembles an invert offwidth that's for sure. Did Waterhouse do much crack climbing when he was at university in the US?

Further evidence sport climbers with "power to waste" can adapt to crack climbing quite quickly if they choose to do so?

Dingdong

• forum abuser
#11277 Re: significant repeats
October 11, 2023, 03:57:11 pm
Alex and Billy have been doing numerous multi pitch crack climbs in and around Colorado since the middle of September in preparation to free the nose.

https://www.ukclimbing.com/logbook/showlog.php?id=191394

Duma

• forum hero
#11278 Re: significant repeats
October 11, 2023, 06:07:41 pm
Mari is such a wad. And surely one of the funniest climbers on SM.

remus

• forum hero
#11279 Re: significant repeats
October 12, 2023, 07:21:04 pm
UKB resident Barrows has climbed Autoengaño 9a in Rodellar, his 7th of the grade and third this year.

yetix

• forum abuser
#11280 Re: significant repeats
October 13, 2023, 05:00:30 pm
Brooke R has done Box Therapy and called it 8C/V15

Source: her instagram
« Last Edit: October 13, 2023, 05:21:45 pm by yetix »

mattsparksy

#11281 Re: significant repeats
October 13, 2023, 06:14:01 pm

It seems both Daniel Woods and Drew agree with the grade, also Shawn Rab did it back to back as Brooke.

Kingy

• forum hero
#11282 Re: significant repeats
October 13, 2023, 06:36:57 pm
Awesome sends from Brooke and Shawn

I can see Daniel's endorsement of the downgrade on his story. I can't seem to see Drew's agreement on the downgrade? No insta story from him about the problem and Box is still featuring in his V16 highlight story?

PipeSmoke

• menacing presence
#11283 Re: significant repeats
October 13, 2023, 07:11:33 pm
Drew said it on Reddit, something along the lines of he could see it being a v15 with a massive walk in.

It would be pretty mad for someone to miss v15 altogether to be fair, considering how massive the grade range is.

jwi

• forum hero
    • On Steep Ground
#11284 Re: significant repeats
October 13, 2023, 08:26:45 pm

I went to insta and found the post from Brooke. It had a photo and a short write-up. Fine, but as I am a big idiot I clicked through to read the comments (yes, I know, I am stupid). Jesus! Insta is apparently full of the scum of the earth. Revolting

shark

• Administrator
  • forum hero
  • insect overlord #1
#11285 Re: significant repeats
October 13, 2023, 11:20:39 pm
You made me look JWI.  :'(

Dingdong

• forum abuser
#11286 Re: significant repeats
October 14, 2023, 09:04:24 am
Zander Waller repeats Sleepwalker and suggest downgrade to V15

https://www.instagram.com/p/CyXN4XpLI6M/

jwi

• forum hero
    • On Steep Ground
#11287 Re: significant repeats
October 14, 2023, 09:19:50 am
Sloper-problem in morpho shocker.

Dingdong

• forum abuser
#11288 Re: significant repeats
October 14, 2023, 09:46:07 am

New beta found apparently

Bradders

• forum hero
#11289 Re: significant repeats
October 14, 2023, 10:19:28 am
I'm gonna keep banging this drum....if the grading system was less granular there'd be far less of a need for this sort of debate. Both Box Therapy and Sleepwalker would be "high 8s".

edshakey

• forum abuser
#11290 Re: significant repeats
October 14, 2023, 10:35:44 am
But there would still be issues, no? Eg, when people started downgrading New Base Line, they would still have to say it's now mid 8, not hard 8. Wouldn't your proposal just reduce the number of downgrades by 50%? That may be a good thing, but it's hardly a huge problem solver.

mattsparksy

#11291 Re: significant repeats
October 14, 2023, 11:55:11 am

Zanders grading is wild, he downgraded Dunks on Decks from 8B+ to 7C, by effectively spanning past the crux. Having said that he did skip both V14/15 and did Sleepwalker in 4 sessions so time will tell...

JamieG

• forum hero
#11292 Re: significant repeats
October 14, 2023, 12:02:28 pm
I'm gonna keep banging this drum....if the grading system was less granular there'd be far less of a need for this sort of debate. Both Box Therapy and Sleepwalker would be "high 8s".

I think you are kidding yourself if you don’t think people would still debate grades just as much. People already use qualifiers like ‘soft’ and ‘sandbag’ within the current systems. The problem is people expect the grading system to do something it can’t. To be objective. And I think the current system works pretty well. On average most people will find a 7a+ harder than a 7a. And that’s all it supposed to achieve. It’s harder to get any more granular because you reach the point where variation between climbers is higher than between problems. The current grade boundaries exist just above this threshold. But obviously there is still variation and overlap in both. People just care about the actual number more than the problem and that’s why they get upset.

Bradders

• forum hero
#11293 Re: significant repeats
October 14, 2023, 12:07:48 pm
But there would still be issues, no? Eg, when people started downgrading New Base Line, they would still have to say it's now mid 8, not hard 8. Wouldn't your proposal just reduce the number of downgrades by 50%? That may be a good thing, but it's hardly a huge problem solver.

50% is better than nothing!

And I reckon it would be more than that since, if grades were less granular, they'd feel less special, therefore there'd be less ego involved and people wouldn't feel the need to have such clear cut opinions. It would matter less whether something was mid 7 or high 7.

I think you are kidding yourself if you don’t think people would still debate grades just as much. People already use qualifiers like ‘soft’ and ‘sandbag’ within the current systems. The problem is people expect the grading system to do something it can’t. To be objective. And I think the current system works pretty well. On average most people will find a 7a+ harder than a 7a. And that’s all it supposed to achieve. It’s harder to get any more granular because you reach the point where variation between climbers is higher than between problems. The current grade boundaries exist just above this threshold. But obviously there is still variation and overlap in both. People just care about the actual number more than the problem and that’s why they get upset.

People saying things are soft / hard etc. is an attempt to make it even more granular than it already is, which I think is daft. Going the other way makes grades matter less as I say, whilst still giving the guiding element which is their only practical function.

JamieG

• forum hero
#11294 Re: significant repeats
October 14, 2023, 12:17:49 pm
I agrée with you in principle by the way. I wish people concentrated less on numbers and more on the problems/routes/moves etc. So I’admire your optimistic idea. But I think people will always find ways to argue. It’s seems to be human nature to want to try classify things into neat little bins even when it’s impossible.

andy moles

• forum abuser
#11295 Re: significant repeats
October 14, 2023, 03:42:59 pm

I went to insta and found the post from Brooke. It had a photo and a short write-up. Fine, but as I am a big idiot I clicked through to read the comments (yes, I know, I am stupid). Jesus! Insta is apparently full of the scum of the earth. Revolting

I'm not gonna look cos I don't want to feel angry, but I have been guilty of making the same error of reading 'the comments' on a few things recently...who are these people? I don't feel like I meet anyone that obnoxious in real life (well, very rarely...) Are they even real people, or just troll bots?

remus

• forum hero
#11296 Re: significant repeats
October 14, 2023, 04:58:46 pm

I'm not gonna look cos I don't want to feel angry, but I have been guilty of making the same error of reading 'the comments' on a few things recently...who are these people? I don't feel like I meet anyone that obnoxious in real life (well, very rarely...) Are they even real people, or just troll bots?

When Im feeling charitable I like to think they're just reasonable people who have gotten the wrong end of the stick. There's so much context missing online.

jwi

• forum hero
    • On Steep Ground
#11297 Re: significant repeats
October 14, 2023, 08:06:55 pm

When Im feeling charitable I like to think they're just reasonable people who have gotten the wrong end of the stick. There's so much context missing online.

When you see angry crazy shit like that in the public comments, just imagine the absolute bile in the DMs!

Wellsy

• forum hero
#11298 Re: significant repeats
October 16, 2023, 09:41:05 pm
Zander Waller has repeated Sleepwalker and given it 8C. He's never done 8B+ before either I think? Seems like a significant and potentially interesting repeat...

https://www.instagram.com/p/CyXN4XpLI6M/?igshid=MzRlODBiNWFlZA==

Kingy

• forum hero
#11299 Re: significant repeats
October 16, 2023, 09:55:23 pm
Amazing. Can't wait to see the new beta. I recall Ryhuchi used a small undercut for his left hand that helped him get in the narrow slot above the sloper, I wonder if that was it... or a real beta breaker.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal