UKBouldering.com

Bendcrete Boulders, what they like? (Read 7136 times)

Welsh Steel

Bendcrete Boulders, what they like?
December 05, 2008, 01:51:17 pm
I work for a big Scottish organisation, Culture and Sport, I love me bouldering, there could be moneys secured for getting a Bendcrete boulder or two. Going to do a visit to Sheffield and Stoke sites.

What are they like to climb on, do they get used?

GCW

• forum hero
  • No longer a
#1 Re: Bendcrete Boulders, what they like?
December 05, 2008, 01:55:01 pm
Personally I quite like Bendcrete stuff.  I liked the old Kelvin Hall better than the new one.  But each to their own.

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
#2 Re: Bendcrete Boulders, what they like?
December 05, 2008, 01:59:56 pm
I don't like them but the ones in Sheffield seem to be quite popular and certainly get used a fair bit.

r-man will be along in a minute.  :)

GCW

• forum hero
  • No longer a
#3 Re: Bendcrete Boulders, what they like?
December 05, 2008, 02:02:47 pm
They take a bit of imagination to get the most of them.  Just going red-red-red-red can get dull.

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#4 Re: Bendcrete Boulders, what they like?
December 05, 2008, 02:03:57 pm
Sheffield ones certainly get used, theres a topo for the Cemetry Boulder linked from somewhere on here.

Personally I like them, obviously not the same as real rock, but they're free, and you can often work out some tricky problems (some are better than others, viz. the one at St Mary's is a bit limited as is the one in in the Ponderosa park).  The concrete can be rather rough on the hands, but then so can rock.

Perhaps the best thing is that despite getting graffiti'd lots of kids seem to enjoy clambering around on it, and when they see people actually climbing on them are often intrigued and interested and will then try a bit harder etc.  Whether this actually encourages them to take up bouldering/climbing as a sport I've no idea though.

Welsh Steel

#5 Re: Bendcrete Boulders, what they like?
December 05, 2008, 02:09:01 pm
Anyone got an idea on what they cost?

r-man

• forum hero
  • Glory lurks beneath the moss
    • LANCASHIRE BOULDERING GUIDEBOOK
#6 Re: Bendcrete Boulders, what they like?
December 05, 2008, 02:44:22 pm
Perhaps the best thing is that despite getting graffiti'd lots of kids seem to enjoy clambering around on it, and when they see people actually climbing on them are often intrigued and interested and will then try a bit harder etc.  Whether this actually encourages them to take up bouldering/climbing as a sport I've no idea though.

It does - I've chatted to a few of the cemetery boulder kids, who started off just having a go because it was near their house, then got climbing shoes and came every day. This was a year or two ago. I haven't been to the boulder for a few months, but I bet they're pretty good now. Some of them started going to the foundry a lot too. Hopefully we'll see them tearing it up in the peak someday...

Anyone got an idea on what they cost?

I heard circa 50 grand for the cemetery park boulder, maybe a little more. Think this is reasonable compared with playground equipment.

--One final thing - if you get one built, make sure half of the boulder has decent angles (ie steep). This is what most keen climbers will keep coming back for. Kids also adapt fast, so ignore people who say steepness isn't good for kids - this is rubbish, if there are some big holds, they'll soon get up it, and soon after they'll be on to the small holds. Easy angles are good too, but beware designers fobbing you off with crap designs.

Check out the boulder on Cemetery Road, it's the best of the Sheffield lot.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2008, 02:52:49 pm by r-man »

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
  • "There's no cure for being a c#nt"
#7 Re: Bendcrete Boulders, what they like?
December 05, 2008, 02:46:53 pm
I vaguely remember it being £40k for the Heeley boulder, but might have dreamed this.

Sam

• addict
#8 Re: Bendcrete Boulders, what they like?
December 05, 2008, 03:07:01 pm
Montague St (aka the Vine/Cemetary Park) boulder £45k + VAT exc. safety surface (poured rubber crumb)

St Mary's Church (aimed at kids) £25k + VAT

Ponderosa - by Rock Works not Bendcrete, possibly worth comparing qualities.

Give Bendcrete a call for more

http://www.bendcrete.com/boulders.htm

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#9 Re: Bendcrete Boulders, what they like?
December 05, 2008, 03:13:02 pm
Welsh Steel, where you planning on putting them. I reckon Union Terrace Gardens would be ideal or Duthie Park in Aberdeen would be good ;)

Welsh Steel

#10 Re: Bendcrete Boulders, what they like?
December 05, 2008, 11:00:49 pm
Welsh Steel, where you planning on putting them. I reckon Union Terrace Gardens would be ideal or Duthie Park in Aberdeen would be good ;)

I is afraid Culture and Sport is a Glasgow ting.

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#11 Re: Bendcrete Boulders, what they like?
December 06, 2008, 11:13:07 am
Bollocks. Bloody weedgies. :)

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal