UKBouldering.com

I'm doing it again... (Read 4221 times)

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
I'm doing it again...
October 29, 2002, 03:41:15 pm
Oh fook, tonight after the marathon man style dentist appointment (is it SAFE?!) I shall be going potholing again.

Why?! Why do I have this perverse desire to grovel deep down in the bowels of Derbyshire. Oh shit.

dave

#1 I'm doing it again...
October 29, 2002, 03:53:09 pm
A Freudian desire to re-enter the womb?

Shit its turning into cocktalk on here, better do something quick........
TARD

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#2 I'm doing it again...
October 29, 2002, 05:41:29 pm
<cocktalk>Oh Dave, you WAG !!!! LOL!!!!  gush gush, simper! No, Toproping is bad! It just isn't ethical enough. Ooooh, actually it's hard 4b, not easy 4c - I know and I'm right!!   ad infinitum...</cocktalk>

Got a while to go before it gets that bad - you fuckin' sheffTARD !!!

Hmmm...are you allowed a shefftard? I'm not fully conversent in the ways of tard.

underground

• forum hero
#3 I'm doing it again...
October 29, 2002, 06:54:57 pm
Bubba, you're obviously a hardcore kinda guy, I mean, all this caving is like, the new rock 'n'roll man.

Especially sitting for half an hour watching you stuck in a squeeze in front of me  :shock:

Just my luck to be getting ultrasound on the shoulder the same night as you check out new shit. :roll:

dobbin

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Buoux 7a
#4 I'm doing it again...
October 29, 2002, 09:00:51 pm
Even if we manage to keep the forum from descending into sycophantic nonsense babble (I only did it to get a reaction...) we still have to avoid going the homo-erotic route that CragX went before its demise!

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#5 I'm doing it again...
October 30, 2002, 08:46:08 am
I thought that cragx was quite funny - looks like "Danny" has been havocing the planetfear forum recently too. They could have sorted it out with a bit of moderation, I think the guy was just winding them up and they all fell for it.

Anyway, off we went to look at Sidetrack Cave, only very recently discovered and looking very nice from the piccies:

We abbed down into the gloomy quarry....the entrance series was ok, quite tight in places with really sticky mud but once past one little squeeze, no real trouble, into a beautifully decorated area where we could all just about fit in comfortably.

Hmmmm....the next bit looked quite fuckin' tasty. Off went Sam, muttering "it looks a bit like Hypothermia but without the water" (Hypothermia is a notoriously hideous passage elsewhere in Derbyshire). This filled me with confidence, as Sam is a lot smaller than me. After quite some time and lots of grunting he was through and JT followed him, also finding it suspiciously tricky. When they were through I shouted "Is it tight?". Usually, they would have said "nah, it's fine" or something along those lines so when I heard "well, there's a few tight bits" I knew that this wasn't going to be pretty.

Off I went. Immediately there was a very tight squeeze which I grunted through to a slight opening, and then another tight bit, which despite a bit of stalactite trying to skewer my chest, was ok. Then next bit however was really tight and by this time I was having doubts about being able to reverse it. I had a bit of a "moment" and much deep breathing to stay calm was needed. I tried to see if I could reverse it the last squeeze, and it was ok, so I had another go...and another....and another.... up ahead the passage went up and over some little hillocks, still tight but looking not as bad. I reckon I might have got through but couldn't see how far the tight section carried on (as it happens I was at the crux), and, as the others had fucked off into the main cave, and Bog was sitting worried behind me in the chamber, I decided to turn back and have a rest.

Easier said than done, reverse squeezing ain't easy coz you can't pull with your feet and can't see where you're going. It was ok, until the squeeze back into the room where Bog was waiting. Nightmare - the sticky mud was gripping my cordura oversuit like a fucking impreza on a fast bend and riding up so much it was crushing my bollocks to the point of agony. This was most unpleasant and in the end the only way to get out was for Bog to grab my legs so I could get some purchase. I eventually popped out.

We had a breather and Bog had a look at the squeezes. No chance (he's another big lad) - he wasn't having it at all and so the descision was made to go back out to the cars to wait for the others.

Here's a pic of the other side of the squeezes where I was trying to get to:

Anyway, I'll be back - next time I won't wear an extra thermal for warmth as that didn't help, and I'm going to ditch my cordura suit and wear something a bit more slippery - the main problem was the grip of the mud causing the oversuit to ride up and wedging me solid. Also, when the cave has had more traffic, the squeezes should open up a bit.

So, Mr Underground, a return visit will have to be planned, but better equipped next time. The others returned about an hour and a half later and apparantly the rest of the cave is superb and well decorated.

underground

• forum hero
#6 I'm doing it again...
October 31, 2002, 08:48:55 am
No fear matey, we'll be there next week and I'll push on through (cos I have a super slim a*s). Got another 6 feet into Snakes Pyjamas last night and the digging's getting easier- the mud only had to come to the gate. Bagshawe had been flooded up to the Dungeon and the irongate passage was thigh deep in water, which I tripped over into  :oops:

fatboySlimfast

• forum hero
#7 I'm doing it again...
October 31, 2002, 09:06:59 am
:sleeping:
sorry lads seem to of dozed off

dave

#8 I'm doing it again...
October 31, 2002, 09:08:06 am
You guys need to get your heads read - that shit is fucking mentle.  :huh:

Were you kalied or summert? :alky: Christ you must have a deathwish!!!

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal