UKBouldering.com

hitting jack pot on the sheffield lunchtime bandit (Read 8994 times)

dave

I'm just putting out an APB on a good jacket potato in sheffield town centre, and also to share some beta. I hope people can chip in here and share the knowledge.

Basically I'm looking for a consistently good outlet. I've got a few places on my current repertoire, but nowhere thats hitting BAR-BAR-BAR.

• Spar on Division Street - surprisingly good, pretty consistent with pretty crispy skins and soft yellow flavoury insides. Fillings available tend to be of the manufactured-mayo-rinsed-intensive-chicken variety though. pretty cheap, but they do tend to overdo the "butt-oh" (i.e. margerine) unless you're on top of the situation. went in today and the skins looks microwaved or some shit.
  • Sandwich Division on Division street - very good skins but the flesh is often a bit hard and pale, i.e. no flavour.
  • Little sandwich shop next to the bagel place on orchard street (by orchard square) - decent skins, flesh is fairly good (not as good as spar) and a range of decent fillings, like corned beef savoury, crispy bacon, and they throw some side salad in. they also have the most ridiculously proportioned caramel slices. last potato i had there was hard though.
  • The guy with the open stall at the top of the Moor - generous sizes and range of hot fillings, but they're cooked in foil so skins are shit.

fillings are a bit of an issue for me right now, cos i don't like cheese (don't even go there girlfriend) and try to avoid faacktory bumfucked chicken.

and to round off -  worst jacket potato i ever had was the cafe in the top of graves gallery/library. garbage microwaved shit - staff looked at me incredulously when i took it back, as if they didn't know what an fucking oven was.

so lets share the wealth homies.

Kim

• forum abuser
Let's face it, with the amount of time you've got on your hands, you could go select a potato of your choice from a healthy organic source, say beanies, go home, pop it in the oven, give it a good couple of hours at a medium temperature, stuff baste and roast a chicken at the same time, carve and mix with mayonnaise or your choice of accompanyment and create your perfect lunch. Just don't forget to pop back into the office and hit "Run" or "Save" or whatever they pay you for at 4 o clock before you knock off.

;)

dave

i work like a japanese beaver I'll have you know!

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
Ah the heady days of having the whole of town to choose from for lunch buying purposes. Mind, I generally ended up in the pub....

Dolly

• forum hero
I'd agree with the little place on Orchard Street - salads are quite interesting as well.
Have you tried any of the SHU places ?
The one opposite the Red Lion seems pretty good although I don't have any charts or diagrams to prove it - just the votes of the lads in the office.
Prices are low and portions seem to be pretty good

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
There is (or was a month or so last time I walked down there) a small shop down the side of Lloyds on the way to the Star Newspaper Offices that is a Jacket Potatoe restaurant if I remember correctly.  Not got round to trying it yet myself, but keep meaning to, their selection of fillings seemed quite comprehensive.

Sloper

• forum hero
  • fat and weak but with good footwork.
Urban Deli which is close to paradise square / campo land nick is my usual provider when I'm in town for lunch

Obi-Wan is lost...

• forum hero
Not tried jackets from them, but the pasty place does reasonable pastys (funny that) and may be worth trying for spud. Also the deli on the corner does good sarnies, may also be worth trying for a BP.

Where's a Spud-u-like when you need one?  :shrug:

Dolly

• forum hero
Urban Deli is good but rrrrreight expensive

tlr

• forum abuser
  • tim-russon.myportfolio Instagram tim_russon
    • Myportfolio
Shirley you are all missing the other element to the equation - how nice are the girls that serve you in each establishment?

Can't help I'm afraid as I don't lunch in town, but I urge Dave to add this important factor into his quandry. And report back of course.

dave

generally anything with "urban" in the name reeks of dollar signs. I'm looking for the kind of establishments where you're served by a 60 year old overweight woman in a tabbard, not by an androgenous lo-slung fashion drone with a vaguely ironic haircut.

Houdini

• forum hero
  • Heil Mary
Curious statement Dave, I mean, by the way you bandy those B-Boy neo-negroisms n shizzle in every postizzle I'd expect you to want to have your order taken by Snoop and be served by Lady Sovereign, or some other ho  :whistle:

fatdoc

• forum hero
  • old and fearful
    • http://www.pincheswall.co.uk
if you take your own lunch to work you can save in excess of £1k a year... honset.. do the math

And Can eat when you want to.... proven to be good for your health / & weight and well being...

tommytwotone

• forum hero
  • Southern jessie turned Almscliff devotee
The Fig Tree on Snig Hill (least I think it's Snig Hill - steep downhill lane down towards Kelham Island) might be worth a go - used to go in there a fair bit to buy sarnies on lunch. Never had a jacket spud from there though. In fact I'm not really being that much help am I?

Plattsy

• forum hero
I'm no baked tattie expert but other candidates are:-

Staniforths on Chapel Walk (Might be another joint down there on the same side too).
Pinstone St Deli probably does them at a price (£3.50 for a shitty little roast hog sarnie!)
Westbar bakery on Tenter Street in between the two BMW sites just down from Kwik Fit.
Sarnie Shop on North Church St. Down from the Cathedral on the same road as the Sola Bar (as was).
Corner Kitchen probably do them too. On a corner (no less) at the roundabout in front of Kwik Fit (see above).

Word.

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
There is (or was a month or so last time I walked down there) a small shop down the side of Lloyds on the way to the Star Newspaper Offices that is a Jacket Potatoe restaurant if I remember correctly.  Not got round to trying it yet myself, but keep meaning to, their selection of fillings seemed quite comprehensive.

I didn't remember correctly, the place is called Yorkies and it does filled yorkshire puds.  Might be worth a look in though, will check it out and report back.

dave

if you take your own lunch to work you can save in excess of £1k a year... honset.. do the math

i already do. but a jacket potato doesn't exactly make for the most practical packed lunch.

plus it only saves you "in excess of £1k a year" assuming you're spending a fiver each day on food, which i doubt most people do, i certianly don't spend anything like that amount.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2008, 10:04:58 am by dave »

Plattsy

• forum hero

I didn't remember correctly, the place is called Yorkies and it does filled yorkshire puds.  Might be worth a look in though, will check it out and report back.

I'll save you some time. Yorkies has shut down. Although the filled yorkshires were amazing.

Dolly

• forum hero
If you're looking for 60 year old women with wooden teeth wearing tabbards then it might be worth looking at Nibblers on Arundel Street.
If the recently revamped by Ramsey Silversmiths describes itself as selling "New Yorkshire" cuisine then Nibblers 50 yards down the road is definitely "Old Yorkshire"
I walked in last week about 2 and without even looking Doreen shouted "We haven't got any salad left so don't bother asking"
You also get funny looks if you ask for brown bread.

dave

sounds wicked. i do prefer brown bread, although i generally don't ask for it with a jacket.

andy_e

• forum hero

plus it only saves you "in excess of £1k a year" assuming you're spending a fiver each day on food, which i doubt most people do, i certianly don't spend anything like that amount.

I spend a tenner a day on food some days  ::)  no wonder I'm poor.

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder

I'll save you some time. Yorkies has shut down. Although the filled yorkshires were amazing.

Damn, missed out there :(

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
Off topic but as it was mentioned has anyone been to Silversmiths (used to be runaway girl) since Ramsey did the makeover on it? Plus has the programme about it been on tv yet?

tommytwotone

• forum hero
  • Southern jessie turned Almscliff devotee
Come on then Dave, you gonna hit us with some feedback / reviews? I'm hoping for something along the lines of A.A Gill mixed with Method Man...

dave

not been to any of them yet - pissing it down today! fuk dat shit. all in good tyme.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal