UKBouldering.com

Illegal use of Houndkirk Right Of Way by Vehicles (Read 200236 times)

Norton Sharley

• forum hero
Below is a copy of text emailed round to many people who will already be reading this.  However if you have not received the email and you have an interest in preventing 4x4 and other vehicle users from further trashing particularly the top section of Houndkirk Moor by driving off the Right of Way and onto the Moor then please read on and take action.

"Thanks for the inspiration John H following which I rang Mike Rhodes who is the Peak Park Access & Rights of Way Manager who is also very upset with 4x4 users.  He suggested that in the case of Houndkirk we should individually, on the basis the more the better, email Sheffield CC Property Services to complain about the quality of the Houndkirk surface, contact david.howarth@sheffield.gov.uk . However the main issue for me is not the surface but the illegal and accelerating creation and use of new tracks across the top of the Moor by motor vehicles and in particular 4x4’s.  Mike suggested that we should contact the police if we see people using this land illegally and provide their registration number etc as John’s suggestion.  Mike also suggested though that we should all contact the Principle Rights of Way Officer at Sheffield CC who is michael.hanson@sheffield.gov.uk who should take an interest in their (Sheffield CC) land being used illegally.  There is apparently a proposal to fence off the top of the Moor to prevent access ‘off road’ and our action may raise awareness of this requirement.

In the case of Stanage causeway the problem is somewhat different in that the land owner changes from Sheffield CC to Derbyshire CC part way down the land.  There is a proposal to be implemented to make the causeway one way (Sheffield to Derbyshire) for motor vehicles to reduce damage due to them slogging uphill and that there will be a voluntary limit on useage by 4x4’s etc.  Again the more complaints that are received then the more likely further action could be taken by the landowners to restrict vehicular access.

Therefore I suggest that you forward this to as many mountain bikers, walkers, interested parties as you know and we all email Michael Howson to express our concerns at Houndkirk Moor trail being illegally used by motor vehicles and that they take urgent preventative action to limit further erosion.

I have also copied this email to the IMBA for their further attention."
« Last Edit: November 28, 2008, 03:18:45 pm by Norton Sharley, Reason: email address in text amended »

cofe

• forum hero
Nice one Nic, they're making a right mess. If anyone feels sufficiently strongly about the Peak getting fucked up (even though unless you MTB you're unlikely to go across Houndkirk) then I'd recommend contacting the people above.

Norton Sharley

• forum hero
Apologies email address was wrong and is now amended in main text to michael.hanson@sheffield.gov.uk

P.S. Nice new book Cofe

cofe

• forum hero
P.S. Nice new book Cofe

I don't know if you're being sarcastic...  ;D 

Norton Sharley

• forum hero
Me, sarcastic, shirley there must be some mishtake?  :P

I'll be more specific then:

Cofe, your new book looks lovely and the bits I've read were well written.  And the pictures are nice.

And it will keep the punters off the good trails  :)

cofe

• forum hero
Cheers man. we're pretty pleased with it too.

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
Yes, bloody marvellous. Plus glad you left out our local (Fetteresso)!

Have shown it around a bit, and the positive responses mean you should get some extra sales before xmas.

tlr

• forum abuser
  • tim-russon.myportfolio Instagram tim_russon
    • Myportfolio
Posted this on Singletrackworld now as well.

Just had an interesting read of some 4x4 and Trail bike forums whilst searching for info and the alternative point of view. My highly scientific conclusion is that 4x4 drivers don't actually mean any harm and are just a little misguided (more than one has given up driving off road due to the visible damage, routes seem to be meticulously planned for legality and low impact). Whereas trail bikers are cocks.

Amusingly both groups firmly blame the other for all the damage.

cofe

• forum hero
thanks chris.

tlr. you should have been a psyentist.

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
Just had an interesting read of some 4x4 and Trail bike forums whilst searching for info and the alternative point of view. My highly scientific conclusion is that 4x4 drivers don't actually mean any harm and are just a little very misguided (more than one has given up driving off road due to the visible damage, routes seem to be meticulously planned for legality and low impact). Whereas trail bikers are cocks.

Last year whilst walking down Stanage causeway there was a group of off-roaders working their way up.  The wife who was stood around taking pictures commented to me "Its good to get outside" referring to the day out in the 4x4 and not getting out of the car to take pictures

fatkid2000

• junky
My neighbours partake in trashing the peak in a 4WD - and they are a bunch of twats, so I'll get emailing.

I remember riding over Houndkirk one evening and it was like a family evening out, kids in the back etc

Whats the new book??

fatboySlimfast

• forum hero
I went out for a quick local on Saturday and a land rover was determined to try and beat me across Houndkirk, to the point where he actually blocked my way at the highest point....
fucking tool then accelerated away downhill weaving across the trail...
Still beat him down though

Obi-Wan is lost...

• forum hero
All 4WD'ers remind me of...

"Come one Lyndsay, LET'S OFFROAD!"

The original Offroad vehicle is nicknamed The Beast, and singularly fails to perform whenever the camera is on. With their battle cry of 'Let's offroad!', Simon and Lyndsay invariably don't manage to get The Beast to move, whether it's because they're stuck in mud or jammed against a bank.

The Offroaders also turn their hands to all manner of other outdoor pursuits, including whitewater rafting, paintballing and mountaineering. No amount of bravado could disguise the fact that, when push comes to shove, they are crap.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/comedy/fastshow/characters/offroaders.shtml

dave

its gripped, its sorted.

SA Chris

• forum hero
I can't move Baz, I've got rock blindness!

fatkid2000

• junky
The council will probably tarmac Houndkirk if we are not careful - like they have on the paths in the Porter Valley / Clough. Good to see the tarmac budget isn't going on the pot holed roads.

Norton Sharley

• forum hero
Response received from Sheffield CC as follows:

"Thanks for your e-mail. For the sake of clarity you've got the roles of myself and Mick Hanson in reverse. Mick represents the Council as Highway authority and is therefore the one you need to contact in respect of the condition of Houndkirk Road. I represent the Council's interest as landowner of Houndkirk, Burbage, Hathersage and Hallam Moors.
In respect of your specific concerns, we at Sheffield City Council very much share your concern over the damage caused to the moorland by the illegal off-roading, especially around the Houndkirk summit area and are doing what we can to stop it and repair the damage. We are in discussion with the National Park and Natural England representitives to draw up a plan of repairs, by landscaping, fencing and revegetation of the damaged ground. Furthermore, through contacts with the police and motor vehicle user groups we're looking to prevent any further illegal use of the area. Your help in reporting to South Yorks police any vehicles you see on the moor would be very helpful... Call 0114 2 20 20 20 to report any non-emergency incidents.
Let me know if I can offer further explanantion or clarification.

David Howarth
Corporate Property Division"

john horscroft

• forum hero
  • Just abusive
  • High Rocks? Best crag in the country mate.....
    • John Horscroft - Writer
Latest news on the Houndkirk front.  There have been two assaults recently elsewhere in the Peak when people have tried to have a quiet word with the motorised community.  At Baslow, a runner tried to alert some trail riders that there were kids on the trail ahead and got duffed up for his trouble.  In the White Peak, a Peak Park Ranger got the same treatment, but I don't have the full details.

Suffice to say, some of these idiots are looking for an excuse to hand out a beating, so take precautions.  Don't overtly record registration numbers if you see illegal activity, memorise it and write it down later.  However, on sunday five 4x4's were doing circuits of the illegal trials loop on Houndkirk.  They'd all removed their number plates, which makes identification a bit difficult! 

Although the police are now taking this issue seriously, they're not committing a great deal of resources.  So...... complain to your local councillor or MP.  If the police get enough flak from the politicians, they'll have to do something about it. 

But most of all, don't become a casualty!! 

cheers
jh

dave

SA Chris

• forum hero
Twats.

Are landmines unacceptable?

dave

thinking about it, identifying them should be easy, they'll be the only 4x4s in sheffield with any mud on the tyres.

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero

Large bunches of 6" nails in wood buried under the surface too deep to affect mtbs would soon give them a massive tyre bill.

Not that I'd condone such action of course.

fatboySlimfast

• forum hero
There was an actual traffic jam of the cunts on the causeway yesterday, with one sounding a dukes of hazard comedy horn every 5 mins just to make sure you knew where he was if you had missed the revving engines, burning brakes/clutch and destruction going on.
What gets me is that mtbs, walkers, little old lady walkers with zimmers, little kids with zimmers(ok maybe not one) were averaging about 10 x the speed in which these vehicles were descending. As Angie put it 'Its a sport where everyone else thinks the participants are cunts apart from those doing it....

john horscroft

• forum hero
  • Just abusive
  • High Rocks? Best crag in the country mate.....
    • John Horscroft - Writer
The problem is that the police are the ones with the real power here, but no resources.  Tim Cross is the copper with responsibility for houndkirk and I met him up there two sundays ago.  He and his fellow officers from Meersbrook police station would dearly like to spend more time on Houndkirk with there MBs, but they simply can't.  The only way we can influence that is by getting at the politicians - let your local councillor or MP know what you think and get them to put pressure on the police to do more.  That way, Tim Cross's superiors will have to give him the time to deal with the problem,

cheers
jh

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal