UKBouldering.com

judging recovery (Read 13363 times)

stevie haston

• player
judging recovery
November 27, 2008, 03:21:19 pm
Alright nerds, help needed. I am having trouble judging if I am ready to train, I am so enthusiastic I think I,m jumping the gun. When in doubt I have just added another days rest, but have still had bad results. I sometimes check my pulse to see if its elevated or not, and try not to train if atall saw but I still think Iam getting it wrong. Is there some new way like blood pressure or anything. Staminna is still going up but I thought I ,d have a little power to go along with it, not much doing. I may be doing (almost certain) too much volume and will switch after Xmass in any case. your thoughts, thanks Stevie. 

webbo

• forum hero
#1 Re: judging recovery
November 27, 2008, 03:27:08 pm
a low heart rate can also indicate a lack of recovery.however the temptation is to belive your getting fitter hence its dropped a few beats.

Probes

• forum hero
  • Wood Abuser
    • Crusher Holds
#2 Re: judging recovery
November 27, 2008, 03:49:05 pm
Alot depends on yourself, you gotta learn what feels right. Recovery rate is dpendant on a million things, mainly age!! I now know that im fully recovered when, it feels hard to get gonig and warmed up, but during warm up i start to feel stronger and  fittr quickly. If im not recovered i warm up quickly n die quickly. After a good 3 hour power session.. can take 3 days to fully recover.. thats for me.

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
#3 Re: judging recovery
November 27, 2008, 04:05:40 pm
I now know that im fully recovered when, it feels hard to get gonig and warmed up, but during warm up i start to feel stronger and  fittr quickly. If im not recovered i warm up quickly n die quickly.

That pretty much exactly describes how I am now too. Unfortunately I never have any idea before I start a session if it's going to be the former or the latter as it isn't always dependent on how I feel or how much rest time I've had. So confusing. Sorry stevie, this isn't much help, just found it interesting to see someone describing exactly what happens to me.

Probes

• forum hero
  • Wood Abuser
    • Crusher Holds
#4 Re: judging recovery
November 27, 2008, 04:22:40 pm
Jasper, i can sort of tell before, its the difference between feeling old, creaky, sluggish... ready to rock or.. old, less creaky and a bit achy... not ready.

I just built a fantastic board in my cellar, n am for first time in years, full on training, and its been a good education, because its there when i need it, so thro trial n error i can now judge when to jump on it. Also its a really good challenge in not getting injured. Nothing better than getting in from work, having a brew, bit o tea then get on it in own time... opposed to running round like a loon to get to the wall for 7.30.

Roll on Action Direct...

stevie haston

• player
#5 Re: judging recovery
November 27, 2008, 04:27:19 pm
first thanks webbo, what I do is cancell if my pulse is 10 beats too high.
Next I am a bit scared my recovery is slow because of my age, after all thats what we are told , thanks for the other two posts Probes and Jasper, this is whats kinnda bugging me, I used to just know, now I am always fru fruing around with it. Something else I do is a test set of pull ups on the proposed day of training but I cant seem to make my mind up. I feel very strong after 5 days but you dont get many training cycles in this way. Staminna is what I really am after but you know its nice to kind of feel over powered. I may need a rest, but dont want to, I dont take creatine as I wanted to loose wieght but might start, and I dont want to bulk anyway, I want to drop 4 kgs. Stevie

Houdini

• forum hero
  • Heil Mary
#6 Re: judging recovery
November 27, 2008, 04:54:25 pm
How much do you weigh?

And from where do you propose to lose 4kg? 

Probes

• forum hero
  • Wood Abuser
    • Crusher Holds
#7 Re: judging recovery
November 27, 2008, 04:58:19 pm
Stevie, my suggestion ud be to do less in a session if its takin 5 days to recover. Its that old thing of stoppin when performance drops off, n saving a little bit for next time. Stating obvious probably, but its easy to forget when your psyched. N like you say your body changes as you get older so you have to rediscover what works. Have you tried taking Vit c tablets.. 500mg at least a day?? Keeps any bugs away and gives your body best chance to recover.

webbo

• forum hero
#8 Re: judging recovery
November 28, 2008, 08:37:00 am
i too are of a similar age to your self.i even remember doing a weights sesh with you way back in the day at bangor uni gym? when motivated and not distracted by other shit in my life,i can still train quite hard for several days in a row.earlier in the year whilst on holiday i would boulder one day then do weights and swimming the next i did this for 10 days.i managed a similar pattern when in alps this summer boulder,then road cycle.the problem is that i wake up one day and just feel wrecked.where as the previous day i feel tired but ok.
so my conclusion is keep going and your body will tell you when to stop and just don't drive a 100 miles to go climbing after 10 days on as its a bit gutting to find yourself pumped putting on your shoes. 

stevie haston

• player
#9 Re: judging recovery
November 28, 2008, 09:02:39 am
hey webbo, yes man, back in the day. Good to hear you are still getting some in, there'rs a lotta dinos out there, still trying. Yes thats the bit, like you say, it can be ok, then you crash. I just wish and thought that there might be a way of knowing (like a tiny machine/ idiot proof stuff) Anyway another mate just told me to stop winging. Probes, Vit C 2000 mgs. Houdini,,,,, I wiegh 68 kgs I am 5 foot 7 ins, I dont have 4 kgs to lose (2kgs poss) , but I would dearly love twinky sport climbers legs.Stevie

cuboard

• regular
#10 Re: judging recovery
November 30, 2008, 10:39:40 am
your just past your best mate.....

athletikspesifik

• regular
    • Athletik Spesifik
#11 Re: judging recovery
November 30, 2008, 07:59:03 pm
This question of judging your rate of recovery is a difficult, multifactorial problem.  The resulting fatigue has many mechanisms, the build-up of metabolites within muscle fibers and the generation of an inadequate motor command in the motor cortex are two of the main culprits.  As you and others have stated, age is related, but your current level of climbing-specific conditioning and how long you have been at this stage is also an important factor to consider.

I am in general agreement with most of the regular contributors to this forum; train often and start the cool-down process when feeling like your strength is waning...for bouldering.  If your currently trying to increase your endurance, then this model doesn't hold.  To gain endurance for routes, we'd have to spend time maintaining pump.  However, this changes the daily dose of climbing volume (depending on age/training age/current conditioning levels...etc).  Given these factors, the day following a difficult day could range from moderate to easy to doing active recovery (some sort of aerobic activity).  It is unreasonable to believe that peak endurance lasts for a season or something - weeks at the most.

I think it would be helpful, as a group, if we use the Borg 'http://www.medal.org/visitor/www%5CActive%5Cch36%5Cch36.01%5Cch36.01.02.aspx' (RPE) to come up with a 'training stress score' (TSS) on a daily/weekly/monthly/block system according to age, sex, onsight level, climbing-specific conditioning status among some other possible factors.  Although the Borg scale is based on an aerobic model, maybe we could develop a 1-10 scale of our own to help quantify our sport.  Aerobic sport use these tools constantly to measure their current status.  Our problem, in my opinion, is that our sport is not aerobic and it is not cyclical in nature.  We have a high techno-tactical factor that these other sports don't have to consider (to some small degree they do, but, comparatively inconsequential).  There will never be a perfect quantitative scale for us, but, I think some sort of algorithm might be a way to have a general idea of where an individual climber's status might look like???

Any mathmatical/software engineer types out there interested in developing something like this?  I'm sure there would be many good ideas we could come up with to help with accuracy?

Nibile

• forum hero
  • Part Animal Part Machine
    • TOTOLORE
#12 Re: judging recovery
November 30, 2008, 10:14:41 pm
hey stevie,
despite being italian i know your feats and CV pretty well, and from this i dare to suggest that you simply go after your feelings. i am sure you are well capable of understanding your body. maybe you will have to trim some aspect that's age related, but with your experience i'm quite sure you'll make big progresses just following your sensations.
maybe trying to keep your calm and not to rush things will be helpful, but i know it's very hard!!!
respect.

stevie haston

• player
#13 Re: judging recovery
December 01, 2008, 09:29:16 am
morning, athletispeak, thanks for that stuff, I have tried followinf that kind of regime when cycling and running, and even though as you say bikling and running dont have the tec aspects of climbing this system does not work fo me and never has. I would not suggest its not the way to go but it doesnt work for me. Many of the training protocols have been drawn up  by exceptional people or by exceptional people on drugs. recently someone was caught twice for drugs in climbing and he had afvocated this system of training. Now the trouble with much of this stuff is that it is mainly  nonesense until a few of us start doing lots of training and then comparing results, basically sharing. So thanks Athletispeak and if anybody wants to follow what he said and then come back and share that would be wonderful. This system is the one Marius tried to follow. Marious worked in an athletic department of a Uni with many fantastic athletes(I met some of them), they obviously got something right.
Today my recovery seems spot on (I have done my first segment and its better) rest period has been 4 days. I will keep going in the hope the rest will come down (as I need extra skill training), but am very interested in what others do, or are trying. My problem is I might not be average (who is) so may need different training (twitch fibers, tendon alighment and general mascochistic). Thanks again Athletispeak, and I am trying to create a leval of fitness to train from, and I think it might be working.
Nible, thanks, having patience is maybe the secrete, something I have always lacked (I have mediteranian genes), maybe I have a little more patience(or lazy) because I am older and it will compensate for slower recovery. Good climbing and training to all,Stevie

Nibile

• forum hero
    • TOTOLORE
#14 Re: judging recovery
December 01, 2008, 11:54:05 am
ciao again stevie.
here's what i do.
from late summer until one week ago, i have basically only bouldered indoors, with almost no other excercise like campusing or fingerboarding, just some front levers. this was for four times a week plus one day out. it involved quite a big volume and always highest possible intensity, and it paid off. after a couple of months i got to have a couple of weeks with just one good session on the board, and maybe one other weak session, but was still bouldering well out, even if i had to take two days off before.
last week i started a new cycle. i do mon, tue, thur, fri and sunday out. it's quite high in both volume and intensity, with excercises on the wall like one armers with one foot on, swings on both sides from crimps and then locking off one arm with one foot on, and obviously various forms of bouldering: one handed, two moves problems, etc.
it's very hard, and i've been happy to take two days off this weekend. i have to stretch, and to eat loads to keep the energy levels high, but also take supplements in the form of aminoacids and minerals.
hope this helps.

stevie haston

• player
#15 Re: judging recovery
December 01, 2008, 02:23:41 pm
ciao Nible, I think every thing might help, the more info I have the better I might understand. So Nible, how old are you and was your leval of training high before. You see for me, if I train with high intensity I will need to rest more, perhaps this is because my intensity is very high(?) My original post was how to judge if you are ready to train again, that is fully rested. I am more than happy for the discussion to broaden, as you never know when you might learn something. i have just finished a fantastic training session and am really (now) happy with how its going. so, the next thing I have to decide you see is when to train again. This for me is the hard bit and I really wish there was more than a 'listen to your body solution', as I think either my body or ego or keeness is interfering.
 Indication that it is ok to train is if you are keen, not scared to train, feel full of strength, but the ans lies normaly only after you train and you know that you did more or better or with more wiegth etc. You see it is much easier to know if you over train.
Any way thanks, this last week I have felt the need to go south and see the sea, drink very strong coffee and laugh. Stevie 

athletikspesifik

• regular
    • Athletik Spesifik
#16 Re: judging recovery
December 01, 2008, 09:17:04 pm
Hey Stevie, I am in total agreement with you.  Basing climbing periodization off of aerobic protocols doesn't work for our sport.  As we all know, there are many factors that go into climbing at one's limit.  I'm not suggesting using ANY aerobic stress scores...I am suggesting that we, as a group, come up with a "stress score" of our own.  We have a tentative computer programmer (PhD student), who has volunteered his services to help us.  If we come up with a list of important factors that he could program into an algorithm of sorts, then we might have a way (albeit, not perfect - but, maybe good) to have a measurable stress score to help us determine (graphically?) our current status, helping to avoid over-training.  Our volunteer has agreed that this would be a free, open source, "portal" for everyone to use.  I have been thinking of this for a couple of years, so I have some ideas to add - and I think it would be helpful and fun, if the many thoughtful climbers from this forum could start adding factors that they think might help out.  I have a few contacts, that may be able to help if we were to pursue this, giving some advice.

I've received several messages of interest, but I'd like to put it out there for all to put in their opinions...

Nibile

• forum hero
    • TOTOLORE
#17 Re: judging recovery
December 01, 2008, 10:02:03 pm
stevie, i am close to 37, and i think my training has been always a bit too much probably. overtraining was an issue, but i also think this made me more used to high volumes of training. anyway, i have been training seriously, i mean with a professional telling me what to do, only for the last 3 years.
lately it's been very hard for me to judge my recovery. my mind was always much stronger than my body, and more than once i found myself in the gym almost unable to do anything serious.
in these cases i tried to just do very few moves as hard as i could with longer rests.
today for example i wasn't feeling very good during the warm up and then i had a very good, powerful session.
one thing i can definitely notice is when i feel "heavy", not sparky at all, and that's a bad sign. but i have to say that i don't train for endurance, only power for bouldering, so maybe things are a bit easier for me to judge.
one other thing, definitely, is that when i'm not recovered and am not training well i have more difficulties to fall asleep at night despite feeling very tired.
everything about recovery for me is very empiric.

stevie haston

• player
#18 Re: judging recovery
December 02, 2008, 08:37:29 am
morning Athleticspeak, your proposal sounds great, kinda what I want, something concrete from climbers, about our training. Not hearsay or another artical on training that doesnt make sense, dreamt up just for money. Might even be what the internet was actually designed for.
Nible, ciau. You sound like you are on top of it, apart from the over enthusiasim, like me. I think things are much easier to judge for power, and I imagine that the above athelispeak and friends might be able to do us proud in that direction (hope and pray), endurance is wierd especialy climbing endurance. To have power and endurance well that would be interesting.
Anyway yesterday I had a really great training day felt great, then lots of pain, nothing injurus, just pain, still pain , had about 6hours sleep, and this happens one in 3 sessions.  good luck with training,Stevie.

athletikspesifik

• regular
    • Athletik Spesifik
#19 Re: judging recovery
December 02, 2008, 04:28:42 pm
Alright, due to overwhelming enthusiasm - I will start with some ideas.  It seems like we need two categories of measurement:1.general 2.climbing specific

Category 1- General
1.  Blood pressure - take 5 day baseline when feeling healthy.
2.  Coordination - static/dynamic
3.  Bodymass - 5 day baseline
4.  Endurance - 3/5K run
5.  Sleep requirements - baseline
6.  Resting pulse - waking baseline
7.  Body temperature - baseline
8.  Appetite - general Kcal estimate
9.  Metabolism - feeling cold/hot
10. Psychological stress - work/home etc...
11. Age
12. Male/Female

Category 2 - Climbing (might need 3 separate categories; sport, trad, bouldering???)
1. Training Age - specific to your climbing preference (been bouldering for 3 years...sporty for 28 years etc...)
2. Previous injuries
    a. finger
    b. wrist
    c. elbow
    d. shoulder
3. current onsight level

4. previous 30 days of volume (It would appear as if over-training is the sole cause of non-accidental training injuries, whereas
under-training is safe and merely leads to lack of progress. This is only partly true. Consistent under-training, which
never allows the climber to adapt to high stress levels, and may expose them to risk if they are "psyched", socially or individually on a particular route/problem.
)
    a. daily attempts total or maybe a volume score based on the individual (6 out of a 1-10 scale indicates slightly higher than moderate volume)
    b. weekly attempts total or maybe a volume score based on the individual
    c. month/block attempts total or maybe a volume score based on the individual

5. previous 30 days of intensity (At a muscular level, Hans Selye’s General Adaptation Syndrome theory seems to be substantiated by the finding that different types of muscle fibers would be recruited differently according to the intensity of the movement;for us - size, angle of holds/distance between holds/torso position/hip mobility etc.... Sustained sub-maximal climbing utilizes slow- twitch (ST) muscle fibers whereas brief, intense bouldering (depends on angle, blah, blah) recruits fast-twitch (FT) white fibers.)
A. daily 
    a. 1-10 scale of hold size
    b. 1-10 scale of hold torque angle
    c. 1-10 scale of hold distance
    d. 1-10 scale of wall angle
    e. 1-10 scale of compression
    f.  1-10 scale of body extension
    g. 1-10 scale of sustained resistance
B. weekly 
C. month/block
Too much detail?  Just an overall score?  More detail?  I think the detail might help answer questions about specific weaknesses or failing on something you feel like you should be able to do.
6. current soft tissue soreness/stiffness
7. Hip range of motion - examples to follow
8. Shoulder range of motion - examples to follow
9. Wrist range of motion - examples to follow
10. Individual psych
11. Social psych

This might be a start, and I would appreciate any (constructive) input.  My feelings don't get hurt very easily, and I will defend specifics as I think certain factors have evidence-based validity.  However, I'm not married to the list and willing to modify accordingly.  We/I may also need to come up with %-based importance on certain factors to help quantify.

stevie haston

• player
#20 Re: judging recovery
December 03, 2008, 09:43:14 am
athelispeak, very good, so first suggestion, move this to another box. You need at least 10 to 20 super nerds with the info / input you need, they are here on this board, for sure.
I looked up some of my training stuff and in the days when I was super nerdish to judge my recovery, I used to do a list of questions and tests, it was based on some stuff Hatfield the power lifter wrote about. There was some phisical stuff like blood pressure, pulse, hand and eye co-ordination, twitching, soreness, absense of diarea, and then some mental stuff like feelings. It did help me and wasnt complicated after I put int onto a  card,  I did get good (probably best poss) results when using this card.
So yes what you are thinking of doing is v.good. Keep it up, I think this is the right approach.Stevie

JonI

• regular
#21 Re: judging recovery
December 03, 2008, 06:08:26 pm
Sounds like an interesting project, but that level of detail seems a bit much to me.
There was a recent study on college swimmers that used a profile of mood state questionnaire, where they found a significant correlation between mood state and some biochemical markers of overtraining.  If I remember rightly the overtraining rate went from about 10% to almost zero just through daily monitoring using the questionnaire.

athletikspesifik

• regular
    • Athletik Spesifik
#22 Re: judging recovery
December 03, 2008, 09:42:13 pm
Thanks for the input.  I should do a better job of clarification; many of the factors on the list would be a one time answer (unless your changing your sex organs frequently).  I think values of 1-5 make for a good statistical value.  1-10 is too much (that problem was a 7 or 8???), 1-3 seems to vague (1- walked it, 3 - took 47 attempts over the summer????).

Category 1- General
1.  Blood pressure - After baseline, maybe once per month unless indicated by other factors
2.  Coordination - static/dynamic - quick daily
3.  Bodymass - baseline, then once or twice per week
4.  Endurance - 3/5K run - periodically to check for aerobic recovery
5.  Sleep requirements - baseline, then record if unusual
6.  Resting pulse - waking baseline, record if unusual
7.  Body temperature - baseline, record if unusual
8.  Appetite - general Kcal estimate, revisit if there is mass gain/loss
9.  Metabolism - feeling cold/hot, not too much effort to perceive this one
10. Psychological stress - work/home etc...maybe daily or weekly, depending on lifestyle
11. Age - I think just once annually
12. Male/Female - just once?

Category 2 - Climbing (might need 3 separate categories; sport, trad, bouldering???)
1. Training Age - specific to your climbing preference (been bouldering for 3 years...sporty for 28 years etc...).  I still think this might be best if it was three separate categories, and each individual stayed on his/her end of the playground.  But, many people switch it up...so, I'm open for suggestions.
2. Previous injuries - this seems like it would not be a daily update, if it is, something's wrong.
    a. finger
    b. wrist
    c. elbow
    d. shoulder
3. current onsight level - unless you're a gifted teen, new to the sport, this might not change too often.

4. previous 30 days of volume Monthly
    a. daily attempts total or maybe a volume score based on the individual - current consensus is 1-3 or 1-5 scale (I vote 1-5, if properly defined)
    b. weekly attempts total - not too hard if daily attempts are recorded
    c. month/block attempts

5. previous 30 days of intensity
A. daily
    previous list was deemed too detailed, maybe a value for intensity (1-5) and a general description? (steep, crimpy, compression...combo of up to 3, 2???)
B. weekly
C. month/block

6. current soft tissue soreness/stiffness - daily or weekly, depending on previous injury, strength endurance stage...etc
7. Hip range of motion - frontal and sagital planes, one time test and re-test if you're working on improvement or recovering from an injury
8. Shoulder range of motion - too detailed to list now, but certain restrictions can be indicators for susceptibility to injury
9. Wrist range of motion - certain restrictions can be indicators for susceptibility to injury
10. Individual psych - too detailed to list now
11. Social psych - too detailed to list now

So, to help clarify...this would be a web(portal?) where the climber could re-visit their status and change/update as needed to get graphical analysis of their status.  I have NOT confirmed the ability to that as of yet, but, that's what I'm hoping for/picturing in my minds eye.  This would reduce the duplicity of constantly entering new data.  If an individual is not responsive to their data entry log for some period of time, they would be dropped and have to re-enter data.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2008, 09:59:58 pm by athletikspesifik »

the little drummer girl

#23 Re: judging recovery
December 03, 2008, 10:20:15 pm
Owen Anderson (PP 163) uses a shorter questionnaire to monitor the performance status of the athletes he coaches. Each morning the athletes assess themselves against the following six questions:

I slept well last night
I am looking forward to today's workout
I am optimistic about my future performance
I feel vigorous and energetic
My appetite is great
I have little muscle soreness
They rate each statement on the following scale:

1 - Strongly disagree
2 - Disagree
3 - Neutral
4 - Agree
5 - Strongly agree
If their score is 20 or above then they have probably recovered enough to continue with the training program. If their score is below 20 then they consider rest or an easy workout until their score rises again.

This is slightly less rigourous approach. Most training days I wake up with 5 of the 6 questions answered very positively, apart from the sleep one. I never feel like I am getting enough hours shut eye, though I nearly always feel psyched and ready to train.

I might try Athletikspiffings approach and see if I am making up for the lack of sleep somehow or if I am fooling myself into over training...

account_inactive

• forum hero
#24 Re: judging recovery
December 03, 2008, 10:27:06 pm
Good post.  Don't complicate things for the sake of it

athletikspesifik

• regular
    • Athletik Spesifik
#25 Re: judging recovery
December 04, 2008, 05:01:57 am
Dylan/Stevie and others,

I would appreciate it if you could help with respect to some of the climbing specific variables.  For example, we can't go by numerical intensity and volume (forgive me for my American-ness here), 10 V1's (40pts) is NOT the same as 4 V10's (40pts).  This is going to depend on the onsight (route climber) or Flash (boulderer) ability of the individual - some of the brutish ones out there are flashing V11.  This is my argument for making it detailed. 

What about attempts?  You spend the whole morning working Vhard and can barely lift a sandwich to your mouth by noon, but you haven't actually sent anything yet.  Should all of this nonsense go under - intensity was a 4 out of 5...volume was a 3 out of 5?  If that's the case, then there's probably no reason to list your onsight/flash grade to begin with - or is there?  I have spent many days sending nothing but my arse to the crashpad...maybe sending just warm ups.  Whatever the techno/tactical/strength/power/psych/skill deficiency this is - I still worked hard with nothing to show for it.  That's my argument for simplifying it.

I can make all the same arguments for volume; length of route, number of routes/problem. 

I think I'm convincing myself of opting for the simpler score.  But, I would like a touch more input.

athletikspesifik

• regular
    • Athletik Spesifik
#26 Re: judging recovery
December 04, 2008, 05:24:55 am
Thanks LGD,

Owen (of Running Research News?) is a great Coach, however, that seems to be very general - maybe I'm being too anal here.  There must be a separation between the general and sport specific values.  I like the 1-5 scale and the total of 20 for indication of over/under training.   No doubt, subjectivity will reign because of our grading system.

stevie haston

• player
#27 Re: judging recovery
December 04, 2008, 09:14:43 am
Athletikspesifik and other concerned anal nerds. Judging recovery is vitaly important and extreamly difficult;;;;; judging volume is extreamly difficult in climbing especially when you just go climbing or flit around in your training, this is why I some times opt for a very simplistic approach to my training so I can quantify it.  I have seen the most improvement in top climbers who train for some part of their year in a way they can quantifie (normaly comp climbers); bouldering is not my bag but I have seen the most basic training being used by  two top boulderers in europe ( they may have been geniuses of course). A basic stamina traverse (I can think of one right now at the bottom of Raven Tor) can be used to periodicaly to check whats going on, or more simplistic count the number of times  you do 141. Good luck, keep the training imput coming please. I have had alotta very good advice and help recently from nerds on this board. Stevie

Paul B

• forum hero
#28 Re: judging recovery
December 04, 2008, 12:21:35 pm
I slept well last night
My appetite is great

1 - Strongly disagree
2 - Disagree
3 - Neutral
4 - Agree
5 - Strongly agree

Last night I had a rubbish session, on that I would of scored over 20. I guess it was nothing to do with recovery.

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
#29 Re: judging recovery
December 04, 2008, 12:35:35 pm
That's exactly what I was talking about earlier. Sometimes I can tick all those boxes and I climb like a twat. Others the list could be:

I was woken up three times last night by a small child shouting/being sick etc
The last thing I feel like doing is training/climbing.
There's no way I'm going to last more than about three problems before bagging it.
I feel lethargic and hungover.
I could well throw up.
I'm still in agony from Wednesday's fingerboard session.

And I crush.  :shrug:

I've given up trying to quantify it and just get on with it / go to the pub depending on which hand I've been dealt that day.

Palomides

• forum abuser
#30 Re: judging recovery
December 04, 2008, 12:52:11 pm
Jasper,

The comment above linking mood state to overtraining was interesting, but I strongly suspect that most studies will have been done with "athletes" i.e. younger people with no kids whose time is almost entirely dedicated to their sport (even if they're supposed to be sudents...).

Throw in a full time job, and at least one child, and the relation between mood state and readiness to train is not going to be as clear-cut. Sometimes going climbing is a great way to get away from everyday stresses.

Another good reason for pre-negotiated climbing outings.

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
#31 Re: judging recovery
December 04, 2008, 01:24:14 pm
Good point.

shark

• Administrator
  • forum hero
  • insect overlord #1
#32 Re: judging recovery
December 04, 2008, 01:45:24 pm

Last night I had a rubbish session, on that I would of scored over 20. I guess it was nothing to do with recovery.
[/quote]

Having read in many articles that you should "listen to your body" I have tried to. Trouble is it complains a lot and quite often it lies to me. I am trialling a new regime of "ignoring my body" until it goes on strike in which case I will bag a session or give it a little break as a treat. 

Paul B

• forum hero
#33 Re: judging recovery
December 04, 2008, 01:48:55 pm

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
#34 Re: judging recovery
December 04, 2008, 02:23:20 pm
Ah yes Paul but your "old before your time" nature means that although you don't have a full time job or children you are already weighed down by the "mood state" baggage that those type of things bring. So, unfortunately for you mate, the same rules already apply.

;) ;D

Nibile

• forum hero
    • TOTOLORE
#35 Re: judging recovery
December 04, 2008, 02:28:37 pm
I slept well last night
My appetite is great

judging from this, i am either an amazing athlete with superhuman recovering abilities, or a sad gym junkie completely unable to read into his mind and body.

Houdini

• forum hero
  • Heil Mary
#36 Re: judging recovery
December 05, 2008, 12:41:54 am
Ah yes...   ..."mood state" baggage...

Qualidy patronage, mate.   8)

Paul B

• forum hero
#37 Re: judging recovery
December 05, 2008, 12:00:55 pm
Ah yes Paul but your "old before your time" nature means that although you don't have a full time job or children you are already weighed down by the "mood state" baggage that those type of things bring. So, unfortunately for you mate, the same rules already apply.

;) ;D

The NEW me is generally more positive, but yes, you're quite right  :boohoo:

jfw

• forum abuser
  • banananananana
#38 Re: judging recovery
December 05, 2008, 02:23:39 pm
Everyone has different rest requirements.

People respond on a very individual level to different volumes and intensities of training.

It would be great if there were a magic programme to follow - but really you have to make one that suits you and your goal/s

improving through training means increasing volume and/or intensity (normally best done in cyclic increases alternating hard/easy rather than continual increase).

sources seem to refer to a red line which if over stepped means you will be overtraining - resulting in decrease in perfomance, loss of psyche, injury, more frequent illness etc.

do  you have to overstep that line at some point to gain the experience to know the indicaors your body gives as to where it is?

a lot of people seem to forget to factor other stressors that can "wear you out" like work/family/relationship stress, poor sleep when planning/assessing training performance.

athletikspesifik

• regular
    • Athletik Spesifik
#39 Re: judging recovery
December 05, 2008, 09:27:53 pm
I think it would be helpful to include more injuries AND give them some sort of grade scale for severity.  Question: how do I assign a percentage grade deficit (Vail Associates paid me $4,000 in 93' for ACL reconstruction based on the assumption that I had a 4% lifetime deficit) for an injury.  It would seem that an injury closer to the point of contact to the rock (upper body) may have a higher point total?  What about injury severity?  Grade 1-3 like Ortho's use?  Any thoughts from clinical professionals?

Using points of official grade (as in a pt for each V grade is very dependent upon the onsight/flash grade ability of the climber) seems tricky to me.  I've seen one of my friends warm up on V7 and V10 like they were V1.  But if he tried a different V10, it would be a different story.  I think doing a 1-5 perception scale (for volume AND intensity) might be somewhat closer to what the climber is really going through, rather than adding point totals to problems/routes redpointed/flashed.  I've spent whole days just landing on my ass without sending anything - does that mean my body hasn't had stress?   In addition, each problem/route (even though equally graded) may feel different for the same climber and therefore perceive their effort expenditure differently.

the little drummer girl

#40 Re: judging recovery
December 06, 2008, 10:39:57 am
Owen Anderson (PP 163) uses a shorter questionnaire to monitor the performance status of the athletes he coaches. Each morning the athletes assess themselves against the following six questions:

I slept well last night
My appetite is great

1 - Strongly disagree
2 - Disagree
3 - Neutral
4 - Agree
5 - Strongly agree
If their score is 20 or above then they have probably recovered enough to continue with the training program. If their score is below 20 then they consider rest or an easy workout until their score rises again.

This is slightly less rigourous approach. Most training days I wake up with 5 of the 6 questions answered very positively, apart from the sleep one. I never feel like I am getting enough hours shut eye, though I nearly always feel psyched and ready to train.

I might try Athletikspiffings approach and see if I am making up for the lack of sleep somehow or if I am fooling myself into over training...

I'd better clarify - Richdraws posted this without checking if he was signed in (again). I agree with the sleep part, but I can do one single pull-up with my arms bent at 90 degrees, and I don't train very often because I'm not motivated in the same way that he is. I prefer to save my grimaces for real rocks.

Interesting reading the responses though...

I'll sign out now.

athletikspesifik

• regular
    • Athletik Spesifik
#41 Re: judging recovery
December 09, 2008, 04:06:50 pm
Still researching/working on it, had to move over the weekend...still not done moving.

athletikspesifik

• regular
    • Athletik Spesifik
#42 Re: judging recovery
December 14, 2008, 09:01:08 pm
Based on responses, I have revised the categories for user friendliness and (hopefully) maintain some level of accuracy.  I have yet to score values for each item of description.  In addition, I haven't described normal ranges of motion or many other values.  I have only narrowed the descriptive categories for general ease of use and participation.  I have been moving to a new Apt in my spare time among other things, so please be patient.
Background Info (update only for changes in Condition) #1
1.   Body mass
      a.   Height
      b.   Morph
      c.   Body Fat
2.   Metabolic Endurance (can change to rowing)
      a.   Bouldering – 400m long sprint
      b.   Sport – 3K run
      c.   Trad – 10K run
3.   Sleep
      a.   Normal hours – deviations
      b.   Travel Sleep - alertness
4.   Resting Pulse
      a.   Normal – 60-80bpm
        1.   Above
        2.   Below
5.   Apatite
      a.   Maintaining Mass
      b.   Increasing Mass
      c.   Decreasing Mass
6.   Metabolism
      a.   Feeling Cold
      b.   Feeling Hot
7.   Stress
      a.   Positive
      b.   Negative
8.   Age
      a.   10-17
      b.   18-25
      c.   25-35
      d.   35-40
      e.   5 year increasing increments
9.   Sex
      a.   Male
      b.   Female
10. Climbing preference
      A. Bouldering
Started
      a.   0-3years
      b.   4-6
      c.   7-10
      d.   10+
Difficulty Level
   a. Beginner
   b. Intermediate
   c. Expert
   d. Elite

B. Sport
Started
      a.   0-3years
      b.   4-6
      c.   7-10
      d.   10+
Difficulty Level
   a. Beginner
   b. Intermediate
   c. Expert
   d. Elite

C. Traditional
Started
      a.   0-3years
      b.   4-6
      c.   7-10
      c.   10+
Difficulty Level
   a. Beginner
   b. Intermediate
   c. Expert
   d. Elite

11. Athletic Background
     A. General Sports
      1.   Time/Length of Participation
      2.   Level of Competition

12. Previous Injuries – from point of rock contact to mid-section.  Rated from a 1-3 scale of ROM, Pain
a.   Finger
b.   Wrist
c.   Elbow
d.   Shoulder
e.   Neck
f.   Back
g.   Hip
h.   Toe
i.   Ankle
j.   Knee
Daily Condition #2

1. Intensity – 1-5 scale for your discipline
2. Volume – 1-5 scale for your discipline
3. Psychology – 1-3 scale for good - bad
4. Social Situation – 1-3 scale for good – bad
5. Nutrition/Hydration
   A. Before – rate 1-3 scale for good – bad
   B. During – rate 1-3 scale for good – bad
   C. After - rate 1-3 scale for good – bad
6. Rest
7. General Conditioning
       A. Intensity
       B. Volume

Please let me know if this will still provide the level of accuracy we hope for, while being user friendly enough.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal