UKBouldering.com

Anyone had this? (Read 2830 times)

mrjonathanr

• forum hero
  • Getting fatter, not fitter.
Anyone had this?
November 23, 2008, 02:10:18 pm
Wondered if anyone has experienced a similar problem and could comment on recovery time...
Had a couple of bouldering sessions at Broughton, then in gym with power pulls and bench (to failure) then Broughton again following day.  :oops:
Clearly not smart as am experiencing some discomfort right at apex of both shoulder joints. Have knocked climbing on the head for a week, taken some voltarol for a few days but after gentle swimming yesterday no improvement. Pain isn't severe but I bet I could make it worse with more tomfoolery.
Obviously I've strained something.. any advice on how long to rest this?
Thanks Jon

robertostallioni

• forum hero
#1 Re: Anyone had this?
November 23, 2008, 02:21:30 pm
Sounds like you've torn yourself a new A-hole. Start again when the discomfort goes. Thimple.

GCW

• forum hero
  • No longer a
#2 Re: Anyone had this?
November 23, 2008, 02:22:48 pm
Broughton
gym to failure
Broughton again following day

Hmmm.
Where do you mean by "apex"?

nik at work

• forum hero
#3 Re: Anyone had this?
November 23, 2008, 02:32:03 pm
I'm guessing he means the pointy bit at the top, distal end of the clavicle sort of area? (or has my anatomy knowledge gone very badly wrong).
My guess is it's just a sprain/strain of something (I did something similar a few weeks back) and a bit of rest should see it right. I think I kept on climbing and the pointy bit became quite tender to touch but feels fine now (until next time...).

Panic over, back to weather watching.

mrjonathanr

• forum hero
#4 Re: Anyone had this?
November 23, 2008, 02:33:34 pm
To GCW: I know it's a bit vague: just under acromion, not exactly sure which tissues.
To robertostallioni: perhaps you didn't really look at the original post. The question related to how long the rest period might be, not the criterion for when to start to climb again.
Thanks
Jon

robertostallioni

• forum hero
#5 Re: Anyone had this?
November 23, 2008, 02:44:40 pm
I would have thought that from the original post, which was a little vague as to what damage you have actually done to yourself, a similarily vague response would have been appropriate. Short of going to a physio I have always found a prescribed number of days/weeks off from people ont' net less benefial than listening to my own body and waiting till it doesn't hurt anymore. Indeed this was certainly the case a couple of years ago when I suffered an Achromio- Clavicular separation(II) and was prescribed 3 months off. Back climbing after 4 weeks when the pain stopped. If you would much prefer just a prescribed number of days off though, here you go. 6.

Adam Lincoln

• forum hero
    • Flickr Page, Vimeo Videos and Blog
#6 Re: Anyone had this?
November 23, 2008, 03:46:00 pm
I posted about this on here a while back. Same thing. It went way. Just go easy for a while. Though i didn't really rest it or go easy on it and still went away.

GCW

• forum hero
  • No longer a
#7 Re: Anyone had this?
November 23, 2008, 03:50:35 pm
If you mean subacromial pain, you may have a degree of post exercise impingement.  Assuming you don't have weakness (ie a tear) it will improve, give it a week or two.
But then again it may be something else.  If it doesn't improve over the next 10-14 days' rets, go see a physio.

mrjonathanr

• forum hero
#8 Re: Anyone had this?
November 23, 2008, 05:53:58 pm
Thanks for the advice guys, I know the drill re. listening to body but it's reassuring to hear others' views /experiences. I get your point roberto, so apologies if the response was a bit snotty but then the thought of an additional orifice was not quite the diagnosis I'd been hoping for, no matter how approximate net responses are at best.
cheers
Jon

milksnake

• menacing presence
#9 Re: Anyone had this?
November 25, 2008, 11:28:58 am
just teeter up some slabs untill it stops hurting

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal