UKBouldering.com

wanted small diesel estate car (Read 8408 times)

Shaun

• regular
wanted small diesel estate car
November 21, 2008, 10:38:05 am
Anyone got one of the above for sale or know any good,"honest" car dealers in Sheffield?
Cheers Shaun

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#1 Re: wanted small diesel estate car
November 21, 2008, 10:43:08 am
"honest" car dealers

:lol: Thats an oxymoron  :lol:

tomtom

• forum hero
#2 Re: wanted small diesel estate car
November 21, 2008, 12:29:56 pm
Anyone got one of the above for sale or know any good,"honest" car dealers in Sheffield?
Cheers Shaun
Nope,
but the used car market has gone into freefall in the last few weeks - so lots of used car dealers are wanting to just get rid. No-ones buying, so think of a pisstaking offer on a motor then knock 25% off it. Oh, and dont fall for the it cost me more than that line... remember they may well just want a sale to see some cashflow....
T

Paul B

• forum hero
#3 Re: wanted small diesel estate car
November 21, 2008, 01:48:06 pm
I think it also helps not to be absolutely clueless, have a look in an Autotrader/Parkers or online at some cars you're thinking of, read the stats and the pro's and con's of each. That way if they try and bullshit you, you might just catch them and if you chat about the car knowing a thing or two I think they're less likely to try it on.
Thats my experience anyway. Also for any female readers, take a bloke along with you. Fiat in Rotheram were absolutely f*cking my other half around with regards to unnecessary parts, one call from me (must be my sheer size) and they refunded everything including (by accident) part of the service.

Drew

• forum hero
  • Am I really a
#4 Re: wanted small diesel estate car
November 21, 2008, 02:07:29 pm
Small estate car? That's another oxymoron.

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#5 Re: wanted small diesel estate car
November 21, 2008, 02:35:56 pm
Small estate car? That's another oxymoron.

It would be if only it wasn't. Plenty of small estates.

Drew

• forum hero
  • Am I really a
#6 Re: wanted small diesel estate car
November 21, 2008, 04:04:02 pm
Small Car

Estate car

There are 'small' estate cars, but surely that's not why you want an estate?

I know I chose two extremes  ::)

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#7 Re: wanted small diesel estate car
November 21, 2008, 04:10:21 pm
And then you get small estates that are inbetween...

Paul B

• forum hero
#8 Re: wanted small diesel estate car
November 21, 2008, 04:12:29 pm
Cheers Shaun

have you got any specific requirements? budget? mileage? Not french?

tomtom

• forum hero
#9 Re: wanted small diesel estate car
November 21, 2008, 04:49:53 pm
Cheers Shaun

have you got any specific requirements? budget? mileage? Not french?
If it helps I've had/extensively driven (and like):
1. Citroen Berlingo (looks like a popemobile, but really good...) drove for 3 weeks as hire car. Loved it. oooodles of room for 4/5 people & climbing stuff..
2. Astra (mk4) Tdi estate (go for the one with the isuzu engine... NOT the other one..)
3. Golf (mk4 - one before present one) TDi hatch (estate v.similar) great car - 60-70mpg...

Did about 60k on both of the last two - the golf didnt even need any brake pads  :o and the only expense aside from rubber and oil was a new alternater pulley... Astra slowly desintigrated  ;D but didnt cost much..
T

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#10 Re: wanted small diesel estate car
November 21, 2008, 06:23:08 pm
1. Citroen Berlingo (looks like a popemobile, but really good...) drove for 3 weeks as hire car. Loved it. oooodles of room for 4/5 people & climbing stuff..

I've got a Berlingo van - it's actually really quite nice to drive - solid and predictable handling with great suspension which is comfy (you can ignore most speed-bumps) but still has plenty of feedback in bends. Quite long wheelbase so feels very stable if a little slow to bung about. Predictable and safe if it comes to a drift. The 2.0 diesel can carry a lot of shit and isn't too bad on fuel if you don't go over 85ish on the mway *

* above comments all relative to it being a mildly portly van and not a sports car.

bigd942

• addict
#11 Re: wanted small diesel estate car
November 21, 2008, 10:12:45 pm
I've a 206 SW HDi and have to say I think its a great little car - fits surfboards (8'6" mini mal and kayaks 7'4") no probs and room in the back to change, £35 to tax and low insurance (Group 3 I think) and for a 1.4HDi is really nippy, mind you 95mph is just about as fast as it'll go. The new 207 felt a bit "tinny" to me when I looked at them, 206 has a more solid UK built feel to it. Took me a month or so to find the a good one but it's great, will have it for a while, well until I roll it like my my last one, cops weren't too pleased with my front seat passenger, a kayak, but it was wearing a seat belt so nout they could do about it!

Dom

Shaun

• regular
#12 Re: wanted small diesel estate car
November 23, 2008, 03:55:28 pm
Cheers for all the replies. Im thinking of a Skoda Fabia estate.Ive been looking on auto trader a lot and I guess I will just have to be patient. I went to see one from a private seller the other day.Car looked good and I was probably going to make an offer but the owner wouldnt let me go for a test drive, even with him!Obviously I walked.

Im thinking that Im better off buying from a member of the public than car dealers...as I cant afford a car from a main dealer.
Again thanks for the posts.
Shaun

Shaun

• regular
#13 Re: wanted small diesel estate car
November 23, 2008, 03:56:59 pm
Forgot to mention that my budget is preferably under £2500. Mileage under 100,000

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal