UKBouldering.com

stolen single speed (Read 10557 times)

BB

• junky
  • Sissy climber
stolen single speed
November 14, 2008, 10:59:45 am
I've just had my single speed stolen. Unfortunate, but it means i'm in the market for a new one on the insurance. I used to have an on-one il pompino, but the company the insurers use to replace bikes can't source one, so has given me a list of alternatives:

Any opinions on the following would be most welcome:

Kona Paddywagon http://www.swinnertoncycles.co.uk/09-Kona-Paddy-Wagon-Paddy-Wagon.aspx
Charge plug racer http://www.chargebikes.com/products/bikes/detail.php?id=13
Genesis flyer http://www.tredz.co.uk/.Genesis-Flyer-2009-Road-Bike_21635.htm
Bianchi Pista http://www.evanscycles.com/products/bianchi/pista-steel-2009-road-bike-ec016959?utm_source=froogle&utm_medium=froogle&utm_campaign=froogle

fatkid2000

• junky
#1 Re: stolen single speed
November 14, 2008, 11:55:30 am
What about a condor - they seem to be the king of single-speeds especially if you want to ride it on the road or a dolan?

Think the bianchi pista is more of a track bike - so if road use is in mind, may not stand up to it.
The paddywagon has had good reviews.

My cousin couriers in London and has a Condor - think its a pista & a Spec langster. He likes them both, but thinks the condor is the better bike despte the hype around the brand.

BB

• junky
  • Sissy climber
#2 Re: stolen single speed
November 14, 2008, 12:16:27 pm
Cheers for the reply fatkid.

The trouble is that the insurer is adamant that the bike be sourced through their supplier and they don't stock Dolan or Condor.

I could probably persuade them the let me have the money, but i'm not sure i can be bothered to go through all the hassle, when it's just for a commuter bike.

fatkid2000

• junky
#3 Re: stolen single speed
November 14, 2008, 12:26:04 pm
Bloody insurance - anyway at least you've got some cover.

If you're Peak District based - you could try 18 bikes at Hope, I'm sure they stock the Genesis, for a look. They seem pretty fussy about what they carry - so they must be pretty good.

soapy

• junky
    • maskon
#4 Re: stolen single speed
November 14, 2008, 01:37:14 pm
genesis or charge, they're both very nice bikes

BB

• junky
  • Sissy climber
#5 Re: stolen single speed
November 14, 2008, 01:44:05 pm
i've not heard of the genesis before. Do you boys know anything about their history?

soapy

• junky
    • maskon
#6 Re: stolen single speed
November 14, 2008, 01:46:57 pm
genesis is a brand name of ridgeback

bought a genesis steel mtb a couple of years ago, sweet ride

was the surly steamroller on your list of options?

fatkid2000

• junky

BB

• junky
  • Sissy climber
#8 Re: stolen single speed
November 14, 2008, 03:17:45 pm
was the surly steamroller on your list of options?

'Fraid not. I specifically asked about surly, but there's no chance.  >:(

saltbeef

• forum hero
#9 Re: stolen single speed
November 14, 2008, 06:42:26 pm
fuji track are supposed to be good, as are the flyer. the plug is supposed to be heavy.

Percy B

• forum hero
    • www.climbingworks.com
#10 Re: stolen single speed
November 15, 2008, 11:06:23 am
I've got one of these

Mines set up for the track (no brakes, etc) but it easy to drill the frame to take brakes if you want to use it on the road. Its pretty light and massively stiff so goes like stink if you get out of the saddle.

chappers

• forum hero
#11 Re: stolen single speed
November 17, 2008, 10:40:37 am
i suspect that your cinelli may be a little over-kill to replace a pompy... ;)

the charge is a little heavy, but if you want a street track bike to do tricks on and look like a messenger thats the one. likewise the pista - unless you can get a pista concept and take up track riding.

i thnk the flyer OR the kona are nice bikes and maybe the closest to the style you are replacing (i class the on-one as a top quality commuter/utility everyday bike).

felt do one too called a dispatch.

www.londonfgss.com have a thread called off the peg fixies in the bikes and bits- may be worth a look to see what they think of each of those bikes...

ditto the condor comments - they make great fixed/ss commuting/training bikes, a lad up here has got one.

soapy

• junky
    • maskon
#12 Re: stolen single speed
November 17, 2008, 03:07:26 pm

BB

• junky
  • Sissy climber
#13 Re: stolen single speed
November 17, 2008, 04:32:18 pm
In truth, i'm tempted to take the insurance replacement, sell it and buy a cheap old hacking iron second hand.

There must be thousands of people who've got shit old steel frames in their sheds and just want shot of them...musn't there?!

On a slightly different note, what 'design touches' have you added to bikes to discourage theft?

BB

• junky
  • Sissy climber
#14 Re: stolen single speed
December 04, 2008, 01:23:32 pm
I got the genesis flyer in the end. Very fast bike indeed. 48 x 16 is hurting me on the big hill on the way home from work though!

soapy

• junky
    • maskon
#15 Re: stolen single speed
December 04, 2008, 02:20:52 pm
tsk, by the end of the winter you'll be replacing it with a 15..

..unfortunately you'll also be wearing weight lifter's leisure pants

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#16 Re: stolen single speed
December 04, 2008, 03:25:13 pm

On a slightly different note, what 'design touches' have you added to bikes to discourage theft?

I have heard of people fitting a rape alarm to their bike, that will go off if the bike is moved. If it doesn't stop the bike being nicked, at least it will scare the hell of them, and hopefully deafen them.

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#17 Re: stolen single speed
December 04, 2008, 03:38:38 pm

I have heard of people fitting a rape alarm to their bike, that will go off if the bike is moved. If it doesn't stop the bike being nicked, at least it will scare the hell of them, and hopefully deafen them.

...and should they get caught they can not only get strung up for being scum, but also get charged for trying to have sex with a bike.

(I have to say I think that charging that guy was way out of order, what people do in the privacy of their own rooms with their two wheel steeds is entirely their business, eh fatdoc  ;) ).

fatdoc

• forum hero
  • old and fearful
    • http://www.pincheswall.co.uk
#18 Re: stolen single speed
December 04, 2008, 07:44:12 pm
Oi.....
 :spank:

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#19 Re: stolen single speed
December 04, 2008, 11:48:23 pm
Oi.....
 :spank:

S&M?  Are you sub or dom?  :P

BB

• junky
  • Sissy climber
#20 Re: stolen single speed
December 05, 2008, 10:06:54 am
...and should they get caught they can not only get strung up for being scum, but also get charged for trying to have sex with a bike.

(I have to say I think that charging that guy was way out of order, what people do in the privacy of their own rooms with their two wheel steeds is entirely their business, eh fatdoc  ;) ).

lets face it, at one time or another, we've all seen a bike that so attractive that you can think of is dis-robing and scuttling it from behind. haven't we? :oops:

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal