UKBouldering.com

Vista / laptop query (Read 9578 times)

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
Vista / laptop query
November 11, 2008, 04:19:15 pm
As my phone contract runs out at the end of next month I've been looking at all the ridiculous deals around where you can get a free laptop or whatever with a new contract. Some are obvious rip offs but others are actually pretty good and I'm sure after xmas there will be even better ones available. The little Acer Aspire and the Eee PC 901 are both available for free on decent deals but the thing that worries me is that these (and any other free laptop it seems) come with Vista.

I'm an IT dunce but I do know that A: Vista is supposed to be dogshit and B: Both these machines originally came with Linux (didn't they?). So the question is, how difficult (for a dunce) would it be to ditch Vista and use XP or something else? And also, as I'll only be using the laptop for simple work stuff (basic spreadsheets etc) and the internet, would it be best to get one of these little, really portable ones or something slightly higher spec and bigger? Oh and which of those two little ones is better? And yeah I have read the thread about the Eee etc but it doesn't really answer my questions. I think.

Thanks in advance Slackers.  ;)

magpie

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
#1 Re: Vista / laptop query
November 11, 2008, 04:31:50 pm
It might be best to ignore me, I'm not really very technical  :whistle:

However, I have Vista on my laptop which everyone said was terrible and would be a nightmare and in reality it's been totally fine.  Saying that I don't do much with my laptop except store pictures and music, play music and DVDs and browse the internet.  Sometimes some basic office type stuff.  For all of that it has been totally great, took me a wee while to get used to the different layout but other than that I haven't had any issues with it at all.

It even works fine with the games I occasionally play, although I think if I wanted really good quality from them I might have issues.  Basically for doing the basics it's been totally cool. 

I don't think it's that hard to swap to XP if you know how, someone offered to do it for me so i don't think it's a massive job?  :shrug:

account_inactive

• forum hero
#2 Re: Vista / laptop query
November 11, 2008, 04:39:45 pm
I've an eeepc (see computer thread) that runs XP.  Very nice little machine for e-mail and web stuff. I think that there are enough wise men/geeks on here to help you with an install

BB

• junky
  • Sissy climber
#3 Re: Vista / laptop query
November 11, 2008, 04:41:14 pm
My personal opinion is that the ultra-portable lappies aren't high enough spec to run vista. It'll run, but you'll get better performance from the linux OS.

I know the Eee comes with a recovery CD, so perhaps you could track down someone who owns the linux version and copy their CD. Obviously you'll need access to a USB CD drive, or alternatively you might be able to copy the contents to a bootable memory stick/card. In which case it would be a simply matter of following the onscreen instructions...

...in theory!

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#4 Re: Vista / laptop query
November 11, 2008, 04:50:27 pm
Nothing if not predictable  :)

Asus Eee PC 901

This was the model (the 701 version) that kicked off the ultra-portable laptops.  It did indeed first ship with Linux (a version called Xandros).  The 901 is upgraded from the original with more efficient processor (pro-longs battery life).

A positive review
Wikipedia article
Best resource for info about the Eee

Acer Aspire (presumably One)

Sounds good from reviews, but poor battery life.

A positive review
Another positive review
Wikipedia article
Random Wiki on Acer One

This Buyers Guide gives useful comparisons between these two and other options (which won't be relevant since your getting it free, but informative to see how things stack up).

Ditching Vista

The main problem here is that neither come with CD/DVD drives, thus you'll need to purchase an external USB one, or install from a USB flash drive (possible with Linux, not sure about XP).  Can't comment on how easy XP will be as I've never done an XP install (although Jim does one every six months so could help there), but given that both have quite specilised hardware you might have difficulty getting drivers for XP (see above wiki for info though).

On the flip side there there are efforts to get Ubuntu playing on the AspireOne and there are tons of options for alternative Linux distros on the Asus Eee either (but note problems, there are no doubt more .  If all your doing is browsing, email, word-processing/spreadsheets, playing with a few pictures then you shouldn't have any problems doing this under Linux (OpenOffice is pretty damn good for word-processing/spreadsheets, GIMP for pictures, Firefox for browsing, Thunderbird for email).  I could help with a Linux install if you decide to go down this line (or get stuck).

Which is better?

The devils in the detail, you'd need to look at (or post links to) the full spec as theres potential for lots of variation.  Recent version of the Eee have more RAM/HD to cope with Vista's greediness.  Generally you'd should be looking for more RAM, higher CPU speeds (in Mhz or Ghz, with the later being better), more HD space.

More Spec?

That comes down to what you want to do, and by the sounds of it you should be fine with one of these, but don't expect it to be lightning fast.

Hope this is useful in some way, I don't have any strong opinion on which is preferable/better (depends on the exact spec though).

@BB : No need to copy an exisiting CD of anyone's, you can d/l ISO's from t'net, still have the problem of needing a USB CD/DVD or the flash drive approach.  I have an external USB CD/DVD whether it will work with the USB ports on either of these is another matter as its for a Dell and has a strange USB plug.

neil h

• forum hero
  • You think i'm fat
    • sibl
#5 Re: Vista / laptop query
November 11, 2008, 05:05:55 pm
It might be best to ignore me, I'm not really very technical  :whistle:

However, I have Vista on my laptop which everyone said was terrible and would be a nightmare and in reality it's been totally fine.  Saying that I don't do much with my laptop except store pictures and music, play music and DVDs and browse the internet.  Sometimes some basic office type stuff.  For all of that it has been totally great, took me a wee while to get used to the different layout but other than that I haven't had any issues with it at all.

It even works fine with the games I occasionally play, although I think if I wanted really good quality from them I might have issues.  Basically for doing the basics it's been totally cool. 

I don't think it's that hard to swap to XP if you know how, someone offered to do it for me so i don't think it's a massive job?  :shrug:

I actually like vista now, i find it much better than xp, once you get use to it, there is an option to switch of the vista layout and have the old xplayout but with all the benefits of vist

Dont get an aceraspire, I went through 2 of them in a week, they are dogshit, they teemed up with microsoft to make them cheap, they only support vista and you cant do shit with them.

Both times they locked me out of the computer with stupid admin rights, and no teci could get them to work again.

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
#6 Re: Vista / laptop query
November 11, 2008, 05:07:48 pm
Well I've got an external USB CD/DVD drive so that's a start!

Yeah I read that the major downside of the Acer Aspire (it is "one") was the battery life but I don't think that'll be a major issue for me. The keyboard's meant to be better on it than the Eee, apart from that not much to call between them it seems (except I just read your post Neil!). I hear you loud and clear slackers that it's down to the individual spec of the things. I'll check that out.

I could help with a Linux install if you decide to go down this line (or get stuck).

I keep remembering that cartoon about configuring the kernel or something and am scared.

Thanks for the help everyone. More research required it seems. The important thing is that the super portable machines seem to be the way to go as they'll do what I require. Cool.

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#7 Re: Vista / laptop query
November 11, 2008, 05:11:51 pm

Dont get an aceraspire, I went through 2 of them in a week, they are dogshit, they teemed up with microsoft to make them cheap, they only support vista and you cant do shit with them.

Both times they locked me out of the computer with stupid admin rights, and no teci could get them to work again.

Typical M$ business model there!

Could all have been down to Vista though if your getting locked out due to admin rights.  Irrelevant now, but could you get into the BIOS?

« Last Edit: November 11, 2008, 05:19:15 pm by slack---line »

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#8 Re: Vista / laptop query
November 11, 2008, 05:15:28 pm
I keep remembering that cartoon about configuring the kernel or something and am scared.

Compiling your own kernel isn't necessary unless you want to.  The kernel is the software that gets the hardware to talk to each other and all of the Linxu distros that you might want to install will come with a pre-compiled kernel for the distribution(i.e. configured and made into executable modules).

Oh and be wary of ultra-sensitive mouse-pads on the Acer One (easy to adjust sensitivity under Windows and linux though).

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
#9 Re: Vista / laptop query
November 11, 2008, 05:24:08 pm
Thanks slackers.

Just seen one offer with the Eee PC 904 which has the bigger keyboard and slightly better spec.....oh and with XP.
Operating System: Genuine Windows XP Home Basic
Intel Celeron M353 processor, 900Mhz
Hard Drive: 80GB Hard Disk Drive
1GB RAM
8.9" Widescreen TFT display
Wireless Capability: Yes
Integrated Web Camera
3 x Hi-Speed USB ports
Dimensions: 266 x 191 x 38 mm
Weight: 1.36 kg

Looks better. Anyhow, good info as ever everyone. I'll have a look nearer the time and bother you some more.  ;D

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#10 Re: Vista / laptop query
November 11, 2008, 05:30:34 pm
Thanks slackers.

Just seen one offer with the Eee PC 904 which has the bigger keyboard and slightly better spec.....oh and with XP.
Operating System: Genuine Windows XP Home Basic
Intel Celeron M353 processor, 900Mhz
Hard Drive: 80GB Hard Disk Drive
1GB RAM
8.9" Widescreen TFT display
Wireless Capability: Yes
Integrated Web Camera
3 x Hi-Speed USB ports
Dimensions: 266 x 191 x 38 mm
Weight: 1.36 kg

Looks better. Anyhow, good info as ever everyone. I'll have a look nearer the time and bother you some more.  ;D

That looks pretty good actually, the HD is a "proper" one as opposed to the SSD's (basically large SD type cards internally) in other Eee's which have the problem of limited read-write cycles, with the bonus of larger keyboard.

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
#11 Re: Vista / laptop query
November 11, 2008, 05:43:40 pm
Yeah apparently it's a lot quicker than the 901 despite having the same processor (because of the HDD). Fuck me I'm starting to sound like I understand some of this! I don't.

The good thing is the deals I'm looking at are basically the same as what I'm paying now monthly with the nice new phone that I want and a free laptop so even though I know the mobile companies are still technically ripping me off, I do at least feel like I've won.  ;)

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#12 Re: Vista / laptop query
November 11, 2008, 05:51:51 pm
Fuck me I'm starting to sound like I understand some of this! I don't.

:lol: Join the club  ;D

Don't know where you looking at or what provider but I get mails from Ebuyer and they always have some laptop deal advertised.

BB

• junky
  • Sissy climber
#13 Re: Vista / laptop query
November 11, 2008, 09:43:24 pm

Cheers for the warning on the acer Neil. I was all set to get one of them. Will do a bit more reading i think!

andy_e

• forum hero
#14 Re: Vista / laptop query
November 11, 2008, 10:31:45 pm
However, I have Vista on my laptop which everyone said was terrible and would be a nightmare and in reality it's been totally fine. 

Ditto, to my surprise.

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#15 Re: Vista / laptop query
November 11, 2008, 11:46:46 pm

Cheers for the warning on the acer Neil. I was all set to get one of them. Will do a bit more reading i think!

More detail is required, but if you've been locked out of a system due to "admin rights" then its a 99.9% likelihood a symptom of the operating system (in this instance M$-Vista) and not the hardware (unless there is an admin password on the BIOS when you received the computer, which is pretty much unheard of).

neil h

• forum hero
  • You think i'm fat
    • sibl
#16 Re: Vista / laptop query
November 12, 2008, 08:09:50 am

More detail is required, but if you've been locked out of a system due to "admin rights" then its a 99.9% likelihood a symptom of the operating system (in this instance M$-Vista) and not the hardware (unless there is an admin password on the BIOS when you received the computer, which is pretty much unheard of).

The problem, no one could work out, is when I created a new account on the system, one for me and one for my little boy so he didnt go deleating all my files. The system would then not let anyone have any rights to do anything, you could still get into the comuter but not be able to change anything. everything you pressed required administrator settings in which i was but still no joy.

It might have been due to the the fact there was no updates for vista at the time, but this problem might have sorted out by now, but I would look into it, the guys down the shop said it might have had something to to with acer and mocrosoft the way the software was written

good luck

BB

• junky
  • Sissy climber
#17 Re: Vista / laptop query
November 12, 2008, 11:02:50 am
Anyone tried the acer with a linux install? I'd be interested to see how that performs. I think i'd go down that route anyway just to improve my meagre exposure to linux based OSs.

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#18 Re: Vista / laptop query
November 12, 2008, 11:20:50 am

The problem, no one could work out, is when I created a new account on the system, one for me and one for my little boy so he didnt go deleating all my files. The system would then not let anyone have any rights to do anything, you could still get into the comuter but not be able to change anything. everything you pressed required administrator settings in which i was but still no joy.

It might have been due to the the fact there was no updates for vista at the time, but this problem might have sorted out by now, but I would look into it, the guys down the shop said it might have had something to to with acer and mocrosoft the way the software was written

good luck

Almost definately a symptom of the operating system.  Vendors such as Acer, Dell, Asus etc. do add applications to the standard OEM M$ distributions they install, but I can't envisage them actually digging into the depths of user administration to modify those (thats not to say they haven't in this instance, but I'd be surprised if they did, as it would undermine the reassurance and trust supposedly provided by M$  :lol:).

Sloper

• forum hero
  • fat and weak but with good footwork.
#19 Re: Vista / laptop query
November 13, 2008, 04:09:29 pm
Can I just comment on Vista, my autoupdate managed to fucking kill my machine.

I've had to restore to factory settings and have lost a fair amount of data (I usually back up once a week, and of course it died just before i was due to do this).

CVNTS

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#20 Re: Vista / laptop query
November 13, 2008, 04:34:48 pm
Can I just comment on Vista, my autoupdate managed to fucking kill my machine.

I've had to restore to factory settings and have lost a fair amount of data (I usually back up once a week, and of course it died just before i was due to do this).

CVNTS

You get what you pay for  ;D

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
#21 Re: Vista / laptop query
February 10, 2009, 09:54:01 am
Ended up getting a very good deal on my mobile contract to stay with O2 so rather than taking one of the free laptop deals I bought one of these.

It's mint.

One final query, is it possible to run the laptop through my tv (as I've done previously with my pc)?  :-\

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#22 Re: Vista / laptop query
February 10, 2009, 10:02:01 am
One final query, is it possible to run the laptop through my tv (as I've done previously with my pc)?  :-\

Probably, the laptop has an external monitor sokcet, it just depends on the sockets on your TV.

You either want to have one of these...

in which case all you need is a DVI cable, or an HDMI input...

in which case you'll want one of these (or perhaps a longer version since 1m ain't much and you'll have to crouch under the TV to get to the laptop and use it).

tomtom

• forum hero
#23 Re: Vista / laptop query
February 10, 2009, 10:05:50 am
Ended up getting a very good deal on my mobile contract to stay with O2 so rather than taking one of the free laptop deals I bought one of these.

It's mint.

One final query, is it possible to run the laptop through my tv (as I've done previously with my pc)?  :-\
Probably only got the VGA out on the laptop instead of HDMI. If you set it up right, you can dual head on these outputs, as I am now. 10" netbook screen on the left, 20" on the right :)

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
#24 Re: Vista / laptop query
February 10, 2009, 10:17:13 am
Fucking sound. How did I miss the "external monitor socket", thick twat.  :wall:

Yeah I've got a DVI cable.

If you set it up right, you can dual head on these outputs, as I am now. 10" netbook screen on the left, 20" on the right :)

Yeah this is how I had it set up with the pc. Nice one.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal