UKBouldering.com

Architectural CAD (Read 5707 times)

Yossarian

• forum hero
Architectural CAD
November 10, 2008, 02:25:42 pm
Does anyone have any experience of using CAD systems, specifically for doing architectural drawings?

If so - is Autocad LT the one to go for (if one doesn't want to spend a fortune)? or Vectorworks Architect? or Domus CAD?

anyone? anyone?

magpie

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
#1 Re: Architectural CAD
November 10, 2008, 02:38:46 pm
I work for architects, I know we use CAD, if nobody else can help you with first hand knowledge I'll ask about in here if you want?

nik at work

• forum hero
#2 Re: Architectural CAD
November 10, 2008, 03:11:29 pm
I used AutoCAD for the drawings for our house, I've also used AutoCAD LT which is very similar (in terms of producing 2D architectural drawings, that's all I've used them for).

The father-in-law uses LT for his architectural stainless steel company, and seems happy with it (but his trees are shit)

They are both good but not very intuitive to use at all.

My friend in jail may be able to source (a slightly old) AutoCAD/LT if you fancy (although I'm sure other friends in jail can torrent the latest versions with cracks, but I know nothing of such things).

Whats the project? Some uber-modern-minimalist-sofa-emporium?

Paul B

• forum hero
#3 Re: Architectural CAD
November 10, 2008, 04:07:32 pm
Lt is rubbish get a full version.

nik at work

• forum hero
#4 Re: Architectural CAD
November 10, 2008, 04:11:31 pm
Why is it rubbish Paul?

It does the same basic stuff as AutoCAD (or at least did when I last used it) and is a LOT cheaper (obviously an academic consideration if you have friends in jail).

I soppose it depends on Yoss's needs, but I'd imagine LT would tick the boxes.

Dangereux

#5 Re: Architectural CAD
November 10, 2008, 04:17:53 pm
I worked, very briefly, selling solidworks. From my limited knowledge this is generally the nuts without spending ridiculous amounts but is still pretty pricey, and maybe a bit overkill
Autocad is fairly industry standard but really isn't very good and is time consuming to use. For instance, you get part way through your design but realise something won't quite work/ fit or you just want to change something. With AC you need to go back through all of your part drawings and redraw them all to allow for this change.
In SW you draw in 3d and if you modify a design, it automatically updates everything, associated part drawings, 2d sectional drawings etc
For basic architectural work, say modular buildings and anything under about 3 storeys it is great. For larger buildings, the steel structural work is best done in something like strucad, but again this is pretty expensive.

Check out www.cadtek.com these guys are probably the best re-sellers of SW. Their site should give you some demos and other titbits of info. Basically anything wood, metal, plastic this is the biz.
I have heard you may be able to find illicit copies somewhere but don't know where.
Hope that helps.  :)

Yossarian

• forum hero
#6 Re: Architectural CAD
November 10, 2008, 05:04:45 pm
Thanks everyone. 

I will investigate further.

Autocad sounds like the standard, but it costs a fortune and I wonder if it's a bit of a con.  (A bit like Quark, when Indesign rapidly became the more sensible choice.)

I did find a CAD add-on thing for Illustrator, which cos I can use it (Illustrator) already might be an alternative.

Nik - Pretty much.  I had a plot in mind, but have been to see some amazing places in the last few days.  Not places of worship so not really your cup of tea probably...

robertostallioni

• forum hero
#7 Re: Architectural CAD
November 10, 2008, 06:16:52 pm
We've spent the last 2 hours on this, AND its free...
http://www.bobthebuilder.com/usa/games_design_a_house.asp

Paul B

• forum hero
#8 Re: Architectural CAD
November 10, 2008, 06:34:51 pm
Yoss what will you be using it for as CAD is easily 'located' by people in jail of course.

Yossarian

• forum hero
#9 Re: Architectural CAD
November 10, 2008, 10:15:29 pm
I will be using it for drawing up plans and detailing for my new lair.

Whilst the overall aesthetic has not yet been completely formalised, I expect it to be some kind of fusion of a Russ Meyer set, the computer cave in Superman 3 and Zaha Hadid's fire station at Weil am Rhein.

(Actually, I am planning to knock down a bungalow and construct a fairly low-key modernist house.)

Paul B

• forum hero
#10 Re: Architectural CAD
November 10, 2008, 10:20:13 pm
so personal use then? I'd suggest you source a decent version of Autocad, LT is a ball ache to use for long periods of time as some of the features just aren't as simplistic.

Yossarian

• forum hero
#11 Re: Architectural CAD
November 10, 2008, 10:23:58 pm
yer.  i mean, i would quite like to design an island city in the middle of the indian ocean, with a louis vuitton factory shop and supermodel training facility, but i'm kind of lacking in the funding department.

ok. i will dig out my ski mask and sawn-off....

mini

• forum abuser
  • A not so
#12 Re: Architectural CAD
November 10, 2008, 10:33:20 pm
I've been using AutoCad LT for the last ten years, and have done some very large schemes on it. Cannot comment on the full version of Cad as I've never sampled it.

Ignore Solidworks, a great tool and that I use a lot, but there is a large learning curve to get upto speed, and could eat up your memory if you have a low spec machine.

Are you just after something to draft up concepts or are you planning on detailing the entire abode for buiders to work from?

Yossarian

• forum hero
#13 Re: Architectural CAD
November 11, 2008, 09:30:38 am
the latter...

Yossarian

• forum hero
#14 Re: Architectural CAD
November 11, 2008, 09:55:10 am
computer says no.

autocad and macs don't mix apparently...

Stu Littlefair

• forum hero
    • http://www.darkpeakimages.co.uk
#15 Re: Architectural CAD
November 11, 2008, 10:27:25 am
I now nothing about CAD software, but apparently vectorworks is mac-compatible

Yossarian

• forum hero
#16 Re: Architectural CAD
November 11, 2008, 10:35:48 am
cool, yeah - that's what i've been reading about this morning.

now all i need is a pair of steel rimmed spectacles and a collarless shirt.  and some lime green socks...

Monolith

• forum hero
  • Straight outta Cronton.
#17 Re: Architectural CAD
November 11, 2008, 10:40:04 am
Have pm'd yo Yoss.

....and don't forget Moleskine and Campers.

Yossarian

• forum hero
#18 Re: Architectural CAD
November 11, 2008, 04:23:28 pm
Thanks everyone - lots of good info...

St Hubbins

• stalker
  • Where the magic happens...
#19 Re: Architectural CAD
November 12, 2008, 02:06:40 pm
AutoCAD is easy to get the hang of. The only differnce between full and LT seemed to be the ability to draw in 3d.
I've always used full so i'm biased to that. Mate of mine uses 'archicad' for his stuff.

If you only need it for a short while, try and find a trial version. if it lets you save it you could mail it to me and i could plot them to pdf if it doesn't let you?

Probes

• forum hero
  • Wood Abuser
    • Crusher Holds
#20 Re: Architectural CAD
November 14, 2008, 11:01:22 am
St, im a engineering cad tech, n deal with architects drawings on regular basis, get autcad lt, it'll do easily for what you want n ul learn the basics quickly. Or, give me a shout n ill do em for you, for a competitive fee of course :-)

north_country_boy

• junky
#21 Re: Architectural CAD
November 14, 2008, 11:38:44 am
We've spent the last 2 hours on this, AND its free...
http://www.bobthebuilder.com/usa/games_design_a_house.asp

More of a fan of this one actually Roberto, apparently Wendy needs a hand with her pipework....  ;) http://www.bobthebuilder.com/usa/games_pipes.asp

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal