UKBouldering.com

The Beast Maker (Read 7249 times)

Steve R

• forum abuser
The Beast Maker
November 07, 2008, 12:22:39 am
Have many people got one of these yet?  opinions? Having been inspired by the makers' recent highball crushing antics and their site/blog generally I'm contemplating getting one as they sound really well thought out and look nice and, er, I want to be strong and good too...

On a tenuously connected note, what are people's (well boulderer's) experiences of off shore work with regards to training?  Looking likely I'll be working 2 on 2 off or maybe even 4 on 4 off before the year is out.  I understand all rigs come with a gym.  Imagine it would be feasible to take a finger board off shore with you and install it somewhere in the gym? 4 weeks - textbook phase length....

Steve R

• forum abuser
#1 Re: The Beast Maker
November 07, 2008, 12:35:23 am
ah, just read the other thread.  guess I need to wait a couple of weeks like everyone else

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#2 Re: The Beast Maker
November 07, 2008, 06:06:27 am
Hi steve, will you be offshore up here in the N Sea? Facilities very hugely depending where you end up. Mates do it, and training varies from managing a few pull ups and 10 mins on a running machine to doing bugger all. Trouble seems to be that doing 12 hr shifts doesn't leave you to inspired, and having large meals available at all times is a serious temptation to blimp out.

People like Idol Eyes have done it though. Might be worth a seperate thread.

Serpico

• forum hero
    • The Craig Y Longridge Wiki
#3 Re: The Beast Maker
November 07, 2008, 10:26:23 am
Malcolm Smith works offshore quite a bit, he's got a pair of Metolius rockrings. To malky-fi them he's part filled the jugs with plaster of paris to turn them into crimps.

Steve R

• forum abuser
#4 Re: The Beast Maker
November 07, 2008, 01:04:26 pm
Hi Chris, yeah most likely North Sea but nothing definite yet.  Will be 12hr shifts but was hoping I might have some energy to train between them as the job I'll be doing isn't physical.  I guess I'll just see what happens.  If I come back much fatter and weaker then I went then maybe a swift  career change might be in order before it's even begun!

I suppose rock rings are much easier to set up, maybe get some of them before going....

a dense loner

• forum hero
#5 Re: The Beast Maker
November 07, 2008, 01:28:45 pm
shy yorksman took his fingerboard with him. however not always his chalk :wall:

abarro81

• forum hero
#6 Re: The Beast Maker
November 07, 2008, 01:50:23 pm
What happened to thailand fatty?

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#7 Re: The Beast Maker
November 07, 2008, 01:54:33 pm
If I come back much fatter and weaker then I went then maybe a swift  career change might be in order before it's even begun!

I think a bit of self discipline is all that is needed. Although having a fried brekky at hand and going for cereal and toast mught require an iron will.

Who you going to be working for? PM me if you want, can give you some info on what installations you are likely to be on, have mates who have worked on most of them.

Moo

• forum hero
  • Is an idiot
#8 Re: The Beast Maker
November 07, 2008, 02:50:55 pm
i'm just about to cast myself into the world of irata i think we should try and have a beastmaker installed as standard in every gym everwhere

Steve R

• forum abuser
#9 Re: The Beast Maker
November 07, 2008, 09:08:25 pm
shy yorksman took his fingerboard with him. however not always his chalk :wall:

funny you should mention, i remember chatting to him about working off shore a while back and how detrimental to your climbing it is. I suppose 2 weeks of fingerboarding with no chalk on would wear even a resilient man down.

Steve R

• forum abuser
#10 Re: The Beast Maker
November 07, 2008, 09:09:02 pm
What happened to thailand fatty?

Almscliff is the new Thailand  8)

Paul B

• forum hero
#11 Re: The Beast Maker
November 07, 2008, 09:58:33 pm
I think a bit of self discipline is all that is needed. Although having a fried brekky at hand and going for cereal and toast mught require an iron will.

Nah....

"11 eggs please"

now you need an iron will not to eat all of the yolks!

clgladiator

• menacing presence
  • a deceptively
    • Climbing Photography
#12 Re: The Beast Maker
November 07, 2008, 10:56:16 pm
excuse my ignorance, but what is the beast maker?

GCW

• forum hero
  • No longer a
#13 Re: The Beast Maker
November 07, 2008, 10:57:33 pm
'Tis a fingerboard.  Try  :google:

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal