UKBouldering.com

Sharpening the tools of the weak and devious (Read 1465 times)

sidewinder

• obsessive maniac
As I attempt and occasionally manage, to haul myself up increasingly difficult problems, I find myself resorting to the tools of the weak and devious.  Namely heel hooks and crazy drop knees, however the  :devil-smiley: is currently unhappy that I am using his methods to sneak up problems that I am not strong enough to do in true style, feet off, no matching.

Due to his unhappiness, or my weak knees I keep tweaking stuff (tendons/muscles) , normally over the top inside of my knee when drop kneeing and one of the two prominent tendons on the posterior of the knee when heel hooking.  Has anyone got any good knee strengthening exercises that may help me stave off these issues.

Thanks in advance.

douglas

• obsessive maniac
I don't know about the heel hooking issue but I am guilty of using the drop knee alot. I've found hip flexibility really key in relieving stress on the knee. Do these while watching telly:

Lie on back, straight legs, pull one knee to chest with the knee bent. Feel the stretch across your bum.
Lie on back, bend knee at 90 degrees, raise knee to ceiling and arc towards the floor crossing your body. Keep your shoulders on the floor and feel the stretch on the outside of the hip.
Lie on back, bend knee at 90 degrees, foot on floor a shin distance from the other knee and drop the knee towards the other knee just like an egyptian. Feel the stretch on the outside of the hip. Avoid tweaking the knee.

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!

Baldy

• obsessive maniac
  • Low Bawler
    • CBclimbing
cough...

Could perhaps try slacklining?

(proceed flaming) :guilty:

Falling Down