UKBouldering.com

Gripmaster or Captains of Crush? (Read 14277 times)

chicane

• player
Gripmaster or Captains of Crush?
November 04, 2008, 10:30:11 am
Hello,

I need a grip trainer to use at my desk or in the car (powerball is too noisy). I can't get to the wall to train enough and need to get my fingers stronger - whats the best solution?

Cheers

Matt

Munkii

• stalker
#1 Re: Gripmaster or Captains of Crush?
November 04, 2008, 04:51:59 pm
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Gripmaster-Finger-Excerciser/dp/B000WVOO1S

d'no what difficulty you want, but i would highly recomend one of these.

GCW

• forum hero
  • No longer a
#2 Re: Gripmaster or Captains of Crush?
November 04, 2008, 04:57:15 pm
Someone bought me a Gripmaster years ago.  Utter dogshit.  Save your money.

Clart

• obsessive maniac
  • Safe as f*ck
#3 Re: Gripmaster or Captains of Crush?
November 04, 2008, 05:25:43 pm
No matter what you use it will still look like you're having a  :wank: when sat at your desk or in the car.

I got the Captain's of Crush but stopped using them as they caused pain in the knuckle of my middle finger. I put it down to the trigger grip that seemed to cause my finger to contract on a diagonal path instead of straight. It also had no effect on my grip strength. The only non-climbing related training that seems to help is carrying breeze blocks or books about the place (think John Arran used to carry breeze blocks on the way to work for this purpose). Two RS catalogs are good, their glossy covers mean you have to squeeze extra hard.

The other thing I squeeze is a yellow squidgy ball that I got free from an outdoor show a few years ago. It's as soft as someone from the south east but my thinking is that it increases blood flow to tendons and ligaments to help recover from finger niggles. 

chicane

• player
#4 Re: Gripmaster or Captains of Crush?
November 05, 2008, 09:04:20 am

Cheers for the info guys! Maybe I'll save my money for the time being....

a dense loner

• forum hero
#5 Re: Gripmaster or Captains of Crush?
November 05, 2008, 10:35:26 am
good lord chicane you're easily persuaded. one person's posted saying gripmasters shit and one other has posted saying coc are shit.
i think coc are a good substitute when you can't get climbing. huffy closes a num 3, and they call him the grip at his mma shinanegans. stevie closes a 3 and i don't think he lacks grip strength either. whether they can close a coc because of their ridiculous grip strength or whether the coc has given them ridiculous grip strength could be open to debate but for 20 quid it's got to be food for thought

chicane

• player
#6 Re: Gripmaster or Captains of Crush?
November 05, 2008, 10:57:32 am
Thats more like the kind of answer I was expecting when I origianlly posted - cheers Dense  - I'll get a coc I can always re-sell it on ebay.

Nice one.

a dense loner

• forum hero
#7 Re: Gripmaster or Captains of Crush?
November 05, 2008, 11:21:37 am
if you're not tiny with okish grip strength, i would go straight for a 1.5. better to struggle for bit to close this than maybe easily closing a 1. if you're a bigger guy with a decent grip maybe straight for the 2. i found that it helped my grip strength a lot

Houdini

• forum hero
  • Heil Mary
#8 Re: Gripmaster or Captains of Crush?
November 05, 2008, 04:27:02 pm
Strangling orphans is the shit.    8)

Munkii

• stalker
#9 Re: Gripmaster or Captains of Crush?
November 05, 2008, 04:41:39 pm
if you're not tiny with okish grip strength,

:whistle:

Paul B

• forum hero
#10 Re: Gripmaster or Captains of Crush?
November 05, 2008, 05:06:15 pm
whether they can close a coc because of their ridiculous grip strength or whether the coc has given them ridiculous grip strength could be open to debate but for 20 quid it's got to be food for thought

You know the answer to that and its not open to debate.

stevie haston

• player
#11 Re: Gripmaster or Captains of Crush?
November 05, 2008, 06:04:49 pm
hello my opinion is get a captain of crush. By the way I cant close a 3 anymore, I am down to about 2.3, I havent done them for a while as they agravate my duprens contractue, Laurence is the same only worse, we have both lost fantastic amounts of handstrength. However due to loosing a ton of wieght my climbing is at a very high leval, I am going to start COC again to improve my pinch.  Get one. Stevie.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal