UKBouldering.com

kapow! Parthian ground up (Read 17338 times)

T_B

• forum hero
#25 Re: kapow! Parthian ground up
October 27, 2008, 12:01:25 pm
:shrug:

Fair enough. All the public knows is what was said before, it's not our fault if that wasn't right.

Well Grimer hammed it up in his Hard Grit commentary depsite Seb stating to camera that he thought the gear (ergo the flake) was fine and that no-one bothered to actually have a look. He takes 5 falls to prove it.

Then Bentley/Sellers take a bunch of falls...

Then a big fattie falls off it a couple of weeks ago...

Then a bunch of wads take 20+ falls...

I think it's safe to say it aint gonna fall off any time soon!

andy_e

• forum hero
#26 Re: kapow! Parthian ground up
October 27, 2008, 12:02:57 pm
cumulative stress fracturing? in other words, each fall damaging it a bit, adding up until it can't take any more?

Kingy

• forum hero
#27 Re: kapow! Parthian ground up
October 27, 2008, 12:47:41 pm
It ain't a bolt with an exhaustively tested 3000 pound breaking strain (or whatever it is).

Tom de Gay

• stalker
#28 Re: kapow! Parthian ground up
October 27, 2008, 01:13:39 pm
Good effort to all!

Took a couple of falls onto that flake many moons ago (after top rope), so thought I might offer my 2p.

It’s not bomber, but it is good enough. With three or four pieces behind the flake, one fell out when I climbed above it, another, which might have been a rock 3 in an apparently good placement, pulled straight through due to the flake flexing a little. I think the worry is not so much that the whole thing will fall off, but a bit of the edge might crumble. 

I don’t know if the fall from the final slab, after the rock over, has been tested. I guess this would load the gear more.

Regarding the grade, though you can fall off the crux, you have to do some tricky climbing to get to the flake (E6 6c?) and it’s serious afterwards. It’s not a clip-up. The route seemed a fair bit harder overall than any E8s I’ve tried (and harder than Meshuga), though a climber with endurance, ability to place gear, bigger balls and better looks might disagree.

andy_e

• forum hero
#29 Re: kapow! Parthian ground up
October 27, 2008, 01:22:55 pm
It ain't a bolt with an exhaustively tested 3000 pound breaking strain (or whatever it is).

Nope, but it's a brittle material like a bolt is. Except weaker.

Kingy

• forum hero
#30 Re: kapow! Parthian ground up
October 27, 2008, 01:30:15 pm

Nope, but it's a brittle material like a bolt is. Except weaker.

A new, properly placed bolt should not fail under any circumstances, if it is placed in hard rock, no matter how big a fall is taken onto it. Gear placed in the flake will obviously be less strong than this, although by how much we can only guess.

andy_e

• forum hero
#31 Re: kapow! Parthian ground up
October 27, 2008, 01:33:24 pm
True. There's probably an equation in one of my text books that will allow me to work out how long the flake will last given a few estimations of stress put on it so far, thickness of flake, area pressure is being applied to, and strength of rock (anyone know the extent of diagenesis of the grit?)

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#32 Re: kapow! Parthian ground up
October 27, 2008, 01:44:01 pm
Are you a geology student andi?

Teaboy

• forum hero
#33 Re: kapow! Parthian ground up
October 27, 2008, 04:29:58 pm
The flake may be bomber but Kevin Jorgeson says on his blog that of the four runners you place in the flake "all but one have either ripped or fallen out on various occassions". anyway its an amazing effort. The ascent of the year in the UK?

grimer

• forum hero
#34 Re: kapow! Parthian ground up
October 27, 2008, 06:29:43 pm
From reading the blog, did he top rope the first section on each attempt with a rope into pre-placed runners in the bomber flake? There's some mention of a flake near the direct start too, not sure what this is. Not complaining, just not clear from the blog.

Jim

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
  • Mostly Injured
  • Pregnant Horse
    • Bouldering POI's for tomtom
#35 Re: kapow! Parthian ground up
October 27, 2008, 07:02:20 pm
The ascent of the year in the UK?
Did you miss the world hardest ever trad climb, E12?

Jim

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
  • Mostly Injured
  • Pregnant Horse
    • Bouldering POI's for tomtom
#36 Re: kapow! Parthian ground up
October 27, 2008, 07:05:32 pm
Also after watching el mocho take a couple of falls on parthian, I hardly think he's put the flake under much strain, what with his massive bulk and everything. Cant comment on any one else's falls tho

hongkongstuey

• forum hero
    • http://www.hongkongclimbing.com
#37 Re: kapow! Parthian ground up
October 28, 2008, 05:28:33 am
From reading the blog, did he top rope the first section on each attempt with a rope into pre-placed runners in the bomber flake? There's some mention of a flake near the direct start too, not sure what this is. Not complaining, just not clear from the blog.

that's the impression I get - i.e it was yoyo'd (still ground up and a big improvement on headpointing)

Quote from: KevinJ
Like on day 1, the gear was pre-placed and the rope clipped to the gear behind the flake. I
succeeded on my forth attempt of the day

El Mocho

• forum abuser
#38 Re: kapow! Parthian ground up
October 28, 2008, 09:34:54 am
It’s not bomber, but it is good enough.

I think my initial quote of "it's bomber" was a bit over excited but as Tom says it is good enough, I wasn't falling off because I was scared of the gear ripping but because it was hard. You do need to be pretty carefull with the gear you place, try to load it all equally, have a stretchy rope etc If things rip they tend to pull through rather than pull the whole flake off (nasty for the person concerned but I don't think it would destroy the route)

Just to clear up how things were done:

On friday a bit back me and Pete tried it ground up (placing gear on lead), Pete got to the flake first placed some gear and did a tiny fall off. I went up and placed some more gear and again "fell" off straight away. After that we left the rope clipped to the gear in the flake (we found the start relatively straight forward but didn't want to mess around with the 3rd rope out left on the arete every time, it was also a bit easier doing it yoyo but we wanted all the help we could) We fell off the crux move 3 times each that day.

To be honest the scariest thing was setting off on the route, once we got to the flake and checked the gear it was better than we expected. We only had pieces rip on one fall (my most wild slap)

I went back a few days later and relead the bottom and placed the gear on lead again (and fell off a few times again!) the Americans turned up. Kevin lead up to the flake once and from then on left it clipped as I was doing.

A few days later I went back. I got to the crag before the Americans (who had stayed longer the last time (no child care responsabilities) and had my gear from the flake) being a bit short on time I wanted to get climbing so absailed down to the flake (with a hat pulled over my eyes!) and tried to get some different gear in - only 1 piece went in, as I was stripping the rope the Americans arrived so I decided to ab down and place the same gear as from the other days.  Again I took a few falls but had to head home pretty early - I left my rope and gear in for Kevin who did it later that day.

Kevin never placed the gear on lead and only lead to the flake on the 1st day on it and technically the gear was placed from absail on the day he did it but only the same pieces in the same places as we (me and pete) had placed on lead.

In my mind the big step forward in style is not top roping or inspecting from absail, sure there are still improvements to do we just need Caff to come along and do it straight off!

Ackbar

• player
#39 Re: kapow! Parthian ground up
October 28, 2008, 11:46:33 am
What's the font grade for the crux move?

grimer

• forum hero
#40 Re: kapow! Parthian ground up
October 28, 2008, 12:00:10 pm
all brilliant stuff  :)

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal