UKBouldering.com

VBouldering mag (Read 5167 times)

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
VBouldering mag
October 29, 2002, 08:59:56 am
Anyone else get this?

I've not had an issue for bleedin' ages - first mag I subscribe to in donkey's and it doesn't happen <moan><bleat>!?

Seemed to be going downhill after issue 1 anyway imho  :cry:

hongkongstuey

• forum hero
    • http://www.hongkongclimbing.com
#1 VBouldering mag
October 30, 2002, 12:43:37 am
I get it too and to be honest it does seem to be a bit of a waste of money - not much in the way of content really is there?

Same problem re getting the bloody thing - know theres been a new one out in the states for a couple of weeks from posts on boldering.com but i've not seen hide nor hare of it.

Will give them another week and then e mail them to see what the hells going on

hongkongstuey

• forum hero
#2 VBouldering mag
November 01, 2002, 06:05:24 am
got my copy today Mike - utter shite about sums it up, the only vaguely interesting article is the one on how to avoid injuries, the rest is just drivel

what a waste

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#3 VBouldering mag
November 01, 2002, 07:40:52 am
At least you've got yours! Yeah, shame really. The first issue showed promise but when the last one arrived, a quick flick revealed nothing much of interest so I didn't even read it through for weeks. Shame really, as it's a great idea, and I thought it would have worked out.

They should have channelled all that energy into a top class website to rival climbxmedia or something.

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#4 VBouldering mag
November 07, 2002, 08:07:51 am
Finally got mine, not read it through yet, but on first glance it looks like a fatter issue than the rather thin last one.....but, could I believe my eyes....no, there really is an article on first aid for your pet at the crag! WTF!!

hongkongstuey

• forum hero
#5 VBouldering mag
November 07, 2002, 08:56:12 am
that one would be worth a clutching at straws smilie if such a thing existed - i did warn you it was a pants issue

dave

#6 VBouldering mag
November 07, 2002, 09:05:54 am
This is at a slight tangent, but I recon that the explosion in climbing-based websites will ultimatley lead to the dimise of climbing mags, or at least a significant downsizing. Anyone else agree?

Personally I haven't bought OTE since March, and even then not regularly since about March 2001. And to be honest Climber blows, the only thing which makes it "readable in WHSmiths" is Panton's bouldering ting, which i read in case theres another pic of famous Dave Norton cranking another phat one. And High is only really usefull if you enjoy reading reports of the latest Himalayan sends.

If this latest issue of V is really shit then that only further evidence.

The only thing mags have got going for them is reading-on-the-bog-ability, but even that is under threat from laptops.

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#7 VBouldering mag
November 07, 2002, 09:14:18 am
I agree entirely - web is faster for news, you can have multimedia, you can have more articles/more pics/more everything. If there's errors they can be corrected, articles can be kept up to date, etc, etc. "New Media" rocks.

Ok, we all prefer reading from the printed page, but the reality is I spend a large proportion of my time in front of a screen. I like a good mag, but I've not bought one for years, except to get Si's bouldering columns, or the occasional bouldering special edition.

There's still a place for them where people won't / can't use computers, but with the advent of webTv, etc, the proportion of unconnected folks will decrease. I started using the web in about '98/'99 and there was 80 million users - Now there's 600 million and it's rising exponentially. If "Broadband Britain" ever really rolls out properly, then the potential for the web rises massively.

So, Dave, you use your laptop whilst straining one out  :shock:

dave

#8 VBouldering mag
November 07, 2002, 09:17:49 am
Quote from: "Bubba"
So, Dave, you use your laptop whilst straining one out  :shock:

No, I don't snap a link off whilst on t'internet, cuz I don't own a slaptop yet, or any computer for that matter - money don't grow on trees you know!

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#9 VBouldering mag
November 07, 2002, 09:21:49 am
You just need to convince work about how you're always putting in those extra hours at home, slaving away, sweating over that report, pondering that viscious conundrum.....etc, etc.....if only they lent you a lappy, then you'd be able to serve them so much better......

Well, i've known it work for some people!

dave

#10 VBouldering mag
November 07, 2002, 09:32:06 am
Quote from: "Bubba"
...you're always putting in those extra hours at home, slaving away, sweating over that report....

Now thats just ridiculous. No-one who knows me would ever belive that!

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#11 VBouldering mag
November 07, 2002, 09:35:01 am
Bizarrely, this has never actually happened to me either, no idea why, consumate IT pro that I am....

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal