UKBouldering.com

What have I done? (Read 5462 times)

magpie

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
What have I done?
October 23, 2008, 10:32:01 am
I've got weird lumps and quite a bit of pain in my thumb and my palm just below my thumb, is it a really silly idea to keep climbing while it's like this and what on earth have I done to make lumps appear?  Are lumps normal?  How do I get rid of them?  :'(

Apologies if this has already been talked about and I've not looked, but oddly searching for 'weird lumps' didn't get me very far.

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#1 Re: What have I done?
October 23, 2008, 10:49:36 am
I've no idea, and won't be able to help, but diagnosis would probably be aided with details of how/when it arose. 

Was it a single event say whilst bouldering that you hurt your hand, or have they appeared over a prolonged period.  Is the pain permanent, or only when the thumb is flexed.  Does simple flexing of the thumb hurt or does it have to be loaded (weight bearing i.e. when climbing).  Are the lumps squishy or hard (e.g. more like callouses).

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#2 Re: What have I done?
October 23, 2008, 11:05:31 am
Wierd lumps galore

http://ukbouldering.com/board/index.php/topic,4609.0.html

Looks like you might just be joining the club.

magpie

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
#3 Re: What have I done?
October 23, 2008, 11:13:16 am
how/when it arose.
I think I did it at the wall on Tuesday, I hurt my shoulder when I fell off and I think maybe being concerned with that over shadowed my hand. 

Was it a single event say whilst bouldering that you hurt your hand, or have they appeared over a prolonged period.
It's only been bad since yesterday, but there wasn't one definite thing that made me think I'd done something to it.  I've been trying more pinchy stuff (which was starting to feel better) but nothing stands out as specific to hurting my hand.

Is the pain permanent, or only when the thumb is flexed. 
I'm aware of it but it's not bad until I flex it or try and make certain shapes with my hand, I can't use the door opening button properly because it means making a pinch shape.

Does simple flexing of the thumb hurt or does it have to be loaded (weight bearing i.e. when climbing). 
Just flexing hurts, I haven't climbed on it yet so I don't know, but from messing about with it, crimping feels fine and I think big juggy stuff would be alright, pinching and maybe mantel stuff would hurt.

Are the lumps squishy or hard (e.g. more like callouses).
Squishy, much like the rest of me.

I don't want it to be the scary lump thing, Chris.  :'(

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#4 Re: What have I done?
October 23, 2008, 11:24:48 am
Wierd lumps galore

http://ukbouldering.com/board/index.php/topic,4609.0.html

Looks like you might just be joining the club.

That would be exceptionally rare since DC very, very, very rarely affects the index or thumb (see Wikipedia overview, could dig out more concrete papers on rates etc. if required).

magpie

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
#5 Re: What have I done?
October 23, 2008, 11:38:53 am
could dig out more concrete papers on rates etc. if required).
Please don't, you'll only confuse me  ;D 

I don't think it is DC to be honest, it doesn't feel like it should for that, I don't think.

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#6 Re: What have I done?
October 23, 2008, 12:20:11 pm
I don't think it is either, I'm just stirring.

magpie

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
#7 Re: What have I done?
October 23, 2008, 12:31:42 pm
I need practical assistance and sympathy, not stirring  :boohoo:

Or even just someone to tell me if it's really silly to climb on it?

Reprobate_Rob

• menacing presence
#8 Re: What have I done?
October 23, 2008, 12:41:10 pm
Looks like it could just be a few bites/stings.
If you get bitten over a gland of some sort, or near a nerve cluster (which I think there is in that area) it can cause much more pain than a normal bite, which is also then exaggerated by muscular contractions in that region.

Maybe try an antihistamine cream for a few days and see if it has any effect?

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#9 Re: What have I done?
October 23, 2008, 12:49:21 pm
It'd have to be a beast of an insect as skin on the hands and feet tends to be a bit thicker than elsewhere, although that particular area is probably one of the thinner patches on the hands (note also that its getting colder at this time of year so insects tend to be disappearing, and they're not known for liking dusty climbing/bouldering walls).

Reprobate_Rob

• menacing presence
#10 Re: What have I done?
October 23, 2008, 01:10:07 pm
True, true...

'Fraid that's all the practical assistance I can stump up Mags - you'll have to settle for my sympathy  :boohoo:  and this -

'If it hurts lots to climb on it, it's probably really silly to climb on it.'

(god i'm good - I should have an advice column in The Daily Shite, or summat)

magpie

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
#11 Re: What have I done?
October 23, 2008, 02:21:04 pm
You tried Rob, that's what counts  ;)

I'm pretty sure it's not a bite, the lump is inside my hand, you can't see it unless I stretch my palm out and the skin pulls taught.

I'm going to the wall, I've decided, if it's really sore I'll chuck it early or do stuff that doesn't hurt.

rodma

• forum hero
#12 Re: What have I done?
October 23, 2008, 05:25:22 pm
You tried Rob, that's what counts  ;)

I'm pretty sure it's not a bite, the lump is inside my hand, you can't see it unless I stretch my palm out and the skin pulls taught.

I'm going to the wall, I've decided, if it's really sore I'll chuck it early or do stuff that doesn't hurt.

could you have bent your thumb back at all when you fell off? if so could it not just be some minor damage to the muscle?

Not wanting to scare-monger at all, but I have a lump just like that on roughly the same part of my thumb which is due to me having broken my scafoid without realising it (drunken handstand  :oops: )

magpie

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
#13 Re: What have I done?
October 24, 2008, 09:46:36 am
Not wanting to scare-monger at all... broken my scafoid
Wah!  Consider me scaremongered  :o

could you have bent your thumb back at all when you fell off? if so could it not just be some minor damage to the muscle?
Very possibly, yes.  I'm tending more towards muscle or ligament damage, I think.  It's still sore but not any worse from being climbed on as long as I'm careful with it.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal