UKBouldering.com

Da News (Read 1531742 times)

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#5500 Re: Da News
July 15, 2014, 07:59:16 am
Whilst seeking to make some of their practices legal the government seem more than happy to ignore the law as GCHQ indulge in illegal Denial-Of-Service attacks (amongst other dubious online practices).

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#5501 Re: Da News
July 15, 2014, 09:50:35 am
Why DRIP (Data Retention & Investigatory Powers) Bill matters another legal slant on it (its not so much about data retention, more about investigatory powers being changed).

If MPs and peers are responsible law-makers then they should insist that clauses 4 and 5 are removed so that they can be carefully considered.  Alternatively MPs and peers should also insist on a “sunset” clause repealing the “emergency” Act in six months (not in two or so years as currently envisaged) so that there can be proper consideration on a non-emergency basis.

@carolinelucas...

Pleased to co-sponsor amendment with @tom_watson & David Davis to reduce emergency review period from 2.5 years to 6 months #DRIP

Sloper

• forum hero
  • fat and weak but with good footwork.
#5502 Re: Da News
July 15, 2014, 10:59:30 am
1. Caroline Lucas is an eiijet
2. a six month sunset clause does not allow sufficient pariliamentary time

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#5503 Re: Da News
July 15, 2014, 12:01:18 pm

You've already made your opinion of Tom Watson known on this matter, but what about David Davis?  Is he a twat too?

Probably won't be if they do exactly as they have done when the European Court ruling was originally made instead of sitting around and ignoring it until the last minute.  I expect they'll do the same even if there is a two year sunset clause as there is no evidence that there is willingness to address it in a democratic manner which gives those we have elected sufficient time to digest and comment on it.

mrjonathanr

• forum hero
  • Getting fatter, not fitter.
#5504 Re: Da News
July 15, 2014, 12:12:00 pm

You've already made your opinion of Tom Watson known on this matter, but what about David Davis?  Is he a twat too?

Most definitely.

Anyhow, what has that got to do with it?
Ad hominem nonsense...... indicates failed argument m'lud. Doesn't require great forensic insight does it?

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#5505 Re: Da News
July 15, 2014, 12:14:09 pm
what about David Davis?  Is he a twat too?

Most definitely.

Anyhow, what has that got to with it?

He's one of the people proposing a six month sunset rather than two years along with Caroline Lucas and Tom Watson.

Ad hominem nonsense...... indicates failed argument m'lud. Doesn't require great forensic insight does it?

Whoever let that get in the way of a good argument?  ::)

mrjonathanr

• forum hero
#5506 Re: Da News
July 15, 2014, 12:17:50 pm
Slackline, you misunderstand me/I expressed that badly.....  it matters not what anatomical epithets we can apply to Davis' character, it's his actions that interest me... here they are positive ones, we agree.

Speaking of actions, look at my next post
« Last Edit: July 15, 2014, 12:25:10 pm by mrjonathanr »

mrjonathanr

• forum hero
#5507 Re: Da News
July 15, 2014, 12:21:54 pm

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#5508 Re: Da News
July 15, 2014, 12:32:04 pm
Slackline, you misunderstand me/I expressed that badly.....  it matters not what anatomical epithets we can apply to Davis' character, it's his actions that interest me... here they are positive ones, we agree.

:oops: I was reading the black & white rather than between the lines.

Rejoice!

I reckon there could still be a use for one of these...

Michael Gove pin-cushion voodoo doll

mrjonathanr

• forum hero
#5510 Re: Da News
July 15, 2014, 12:54:53 pm
Do you think the the reshuffle might take headlines away from DRIP?  :-\

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#5511 Re: Da News
July 15, 2014, 01:51:28 pm
Wouldn't be the first time diversionary tactics have been used.

Although as I wrote its all a bit futile given GCHQ appear to do whatever the fuck they want anyway :'(

Sloper

• forum hero
#5512 Re: Da News
July 15, 2014, 01:54:14 pm

Probably won't be if they do exactly as they have done when the European Court ruling was originally made instead of sitting around and ignoring it until the last minute.  I expect they'll do the same even if there is a two year sunset clause as there is no evidence that there is willingness to address it in a democratic manner which gives those we have elected sufficient time to digest and comment on it.

I have the utmost respect for David Davis but on this occasion Ithink a. he's wrong and b. he's playing politics given the reshuffle and Grayling's disastorous ahndling of the Ministry of Justice.

psychomansam

• forum hero
#5513 Re: Da News
July 15, 2014, 04:16:49 pm

I have the utmost respect for David Davis but on this occasion Ithink a. he's wrong and b. he's playing politics given the reshuffle and Grayling's disastorous ahndling of the Ministry of Justice.

If only Ken Clarke had been allowed to stay. He was considered too progressive! Because apparently that's a bad thing.

Sloper

• forum hero
#5514 Re: Da News
July 15, 2014, 05:04:34 pm
Ken is simply far too old for front line politics and represents in many ways the past (not to mention the odd controversial statement).  I say that as someone who has enjoyed his company on a number of occasions (we're at the same Inn) and find myself agreeing with the vast majority of his politics.

psychomansam

• forum hero
#5515 Re: Da News
July 15, 2014, 05:12:38 pm
Ken is simply far too old for front line politics and represents in many ways the past (not to mention the odd controversial statement).  I say that as someone who has enjoyed his company on a number of occasions (we're at the same Inn) and find myself agreeing with the vast majority of his politics.
:slap:

tomtom

• forum hero
#5516 Re: Da News
July 15, 2014, 06:34:36 pm
Tom Watson is an interesting character... I quite like how he deals with things - and I wonder if he's a future labour leader...

MrsTT went to University with him...

I had a 90 min meeting with David Davis a couple of months ago.. he's likable enough, but I'd prefer to relay my overview and thoughts of him at the crag/pub etc.... :)

Sloper

• forum hero
#5517 Re: Da News
July 15, 2014, 08:35:32 pm
Tom Watson simply has too many enemies (and collects them with panache) to be a leader, it's also a shame that he goes off half cock when it comes to pictures of people dressed as nazis doing drugs / paedo scoops when oops they're senior Labour people rather than tories as he intended. :spank:

Sloper

• forum hero
#5518 Re: Da News
July 15, 2014, 08:40:03 pm
:slap:

Is that the same as a grown up comment but translated for morons?

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
#5519 Re: Da News
July 15, 2014, 10:44:49 pm
I've always liked Ken Clarke but I'd agree that he's probably better off snoozing at the cricket these days rather than being involved in frontline politics.

Not that this means anyone replacing him will do a better job.

E.g. People happy about Gove not being Education Secretary any more might like to note that Nicky Morgan is a staunch Christian who voted against gay marriage and supported horrible nut case Nadine Dorries in her attack on women's abortion rights.

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#5520 Re: Da News
July 16, 2014, 07:30:38 am
A return to irreverence...

There are a lot of dumb people on the internet, no real surprises there, but some are easily duped into thinking Steven Spielberg hunted and killed a triceratops  :slap:

Sloper

• forum hero
#5521 Re: Da News
July 16, 2014, 11:08:10 am
Beyond parody.

duncan

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#5522 Re: Da News
July 16, 2014, 04:26:08 pm
King's College London, world leaders in business nonsense apparently.

I couldn't possibly comment.

Sloper

• forum hero
#5523 Re: Da News
July 16, 2014, 04:33:04 pm
HE is a classic bubble and will hopefully soon burst so we can go back to the days when an undergraduate degree was worth having.

tomtom

• forum hero
#5524 Re: Da News
July 16, 2014, 04:51:43 pm
HE is a classic bubble and will hopefully soon burst so we can go back to the days when an undergraduate degree was worth having.

Which was when?

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal