UKBouldering.com

Da News (Read 1532769 times)

chris j

• forum abuser
#4550 Re: Da News
September 28, 2012, 10:43:28 am
Quality reporting as she 'drifted like a pinball machine down the river' before 'coming to rest upstream'...

Stubbs

#4551 Re: Da News
September 28, 2012, 10:53:38 am
So good, even made it onto R4 on the day!

The 51-year-old’s boat was well and truly rocked by a combination of hallucinogenic nightshade plants and Lambrini wine.

aLICErOBERTSfANkLUB

• forum hero
  • Bucket Heid Man!
    • Comic Sans is Illegal!

psychomansam

• forum hero
#4553 Re: Da News
September 30, 2012, 11:02:39 am
The corporate media has been largely ignoring massive protests against neoliberal austerity measures throughout europe in the last few years.

With politicking and threats of public funding cuts, the BBC seems to be more of a government propaganda machine than ever.

In these dire times for impartiality of the press, I'm linking an American news site!

Last night in Spain: http://www.globalpost.com/dispatch/news/regions/europe/spain/120929/2-injured-12-detained-madrid-protests-turn-violent-again

"they must be absolutely shitting themselves" hehe

There were bigger protests earlier in the week and vast ones earlier in the year.

Insane protest "prevention" tactics by the police

« Last Edit: September 30, 2012, 11:08:23 am by psychomansam »

Stubbs

#4554 Re: Da News
September 30, 2012, 11:31:49 am
Looks like the Spanish police need to get some lessons from the brits in applying a kettle!  ;)

dave

#4555 Re: Da News
September 30, 2012, 11:27:45 pm

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#4556 Re: Da News
October 01, 2012, 10:27:54 am

aLICErOBERTSfANkLUB

• forum hero
  • Bucket Heid Man!
    • Comic Sans is Illegal!
#4557 Re: Da News
October 01, 2012, 04:29:29 pm
Any of the iPhone detractors and tub-thumpers for Android in today?

Not so smug now, are you?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-19784413

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#4558 Re: Da News
October 01, 2012, 04:53:45 pm
Any of the iPhone detractors and tub-thumpers for Android in today?

Not so smug now, are you?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-19784413

Read about that last week, but you can be sure that the bug will be squashed (good reason for keeping phones upto date) if it hasn't already been patched already (quite possibly in some of the custom ROMs.

You also have to install a malicious application to do that, and I'd hazard a guess that any such applications aren't permitted in Play (and any that are found are removed sharpish).  A good reason not to use cracked applications from 3rd party app sites.

(There's also a dedicated IT News thread).

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
#4559 Re: Da News
October 02, 2012, 10:05:51 am
On a lighter note - only in Aberdeen.

http://news.stv.tv/north/192701-fire-brigade-called-out-after-man-gets-his-head-stuck-in-a-rubbish-bin/

The story that keeps on giving....

"Head in bin man was looking for hat"

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-north-east-orkney-shetland-19790191

"I walked around the corner and saw his walking stick on the ground and his bum sticking out and said 'that's Willie'.

As pointed out by Mark Radcliffe on 6 music yesterday, those lads at the bottom of the picture are straight out of The Beano and just need a "Chortle" speech bubble to complete the look.

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#4560 Re: Da News
October 02, 2012, 11:41:23 am

Read about that last week, but you can be sure that the bug will be squashed (good reason for keeping phones upto date) if it hasn't already been patched already (quite possibly in some of the custom ROMs.

Should have read in more detail, the article states the bug was discovered in June 2012 and a patch made available to all manufacturers within a week (Pretty damn fast, I'd like to see closed source projects move so quickly).

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
#4561 Re: Da News
October 02, 2012, 11:57:42 am
So the story is "Malicious Code That's No Use To Criminals Stamped Out Within A Week By Google" spun to make Android look flawed. Another nice bit of Apple marketing masquerading as news. How do they get away with it?

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#4562 Re: Da News
October 02, 2012, 11:59:59 am
So the story is "Malicious Code That's No Use To Criminals Stamped Out Within A Week By Google" spun to make Android look flawed. Another nice bit of Apple marketing masquerading as news. How do they get away with it?

Because people are gullible enough to believe whatever apple tell them.   :slap:

tomtom

• forum hero
#4563 Re: Da News
October 02, 2012, 12:03:21 pm
OK, or "malicious code that's no use to criminals but can wipe your phone if you click on a link - is still a threat to many (most?) android phones because of the many versions of OS out there"....? ;)

Anyway, isnt this really IT news....?

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#4564 Re: Da News
October 02, 2012, 12:17:18 pm
OK, or "malicious code that's no use to criminals but can wipe your phone if you click on a link - is still a threat to many (most?) android phones because of the many versions of OS out there"....? ;)

All the more reason for individuals to take charge of their technology, gen up and ensure they are up to date.

The notion that "things just workTM" and you should be able to pay companies to sell you something that doesn't require any knowledge on what its doing and how it works is outdated, backwards and ultimately detrimental to users themselves.

Anyway, isnt this really IT news....?

:agree:

tomtom

• forum hero
#4565 Re: Da News
October 02, 2012, 12:46:48 pm

All the more reason for individuals to take charge of their technology, gen up and ensure they are up to date.

The notion that "things just workTM" and you should be able to pay companies to sell you something that doesn't require any knowledge on what its doing and how it works is outdated, backwards and ultimately detrimental to users themselves.

I disagree - its a consumer product - designed to do a task/job/operation not a commitment to furthering ones knowledge :)

Taking it a step further, your retail concept is really quite bizarre.. that when you buy something you should know how to fix it, how it operates and be expected to perform updates/maintenance yourself.. Buying a train ticket would be fun! We're stopping at Crewe because the points needs changing. Could passengers please arrange for the points to be changed then we can resume our journey ;) Ah, signal is showing amber, could someone tell us what we need to do now please... Hmm, this seat isnt reserved when it should be - I think I'd better hack into the booking system and sort it out...

You've one of the reasons for Apples success... stuff just works - and most people dont want to root their phones (which probably has an amusing meaning in Australia)

Anyway, each to their own - and I probably sit somewhere between the two. Interested in how stuff works, but most of the time not that bothered as long as it does...

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
#4566 Re: Da News
October 02, 2012, 12:51:51 pm
You don't have to root your Android phone. I haven't and mine "just works" fine. This is the sad misconception. Anyway, leave it......  :off:

tomtom

• forum hero
#4567 Re: Da News
October 02, 2012, 12:57:26 pm
Yes sorry :( Back to the news...

Here's a picture of a cock.

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#4568 Re: Da News
October 02, 2012, 12:58:52 pm
The train analogy is whack as you're buying a service in that instance rather than a product.

A better analogy would be buying a car.

You can buy a car without knowing how to operate it but it would be pretty fucking useless, so before people go out and buy cars they tend to take lessons and have to demonstrate that they have attained a certain level of proficiency in using it.  This includes basic maintenance, because the highway code specifies that drivers should know how to check their car for road-worthiness before every journey.  Not that everyone does this, but there are some who probably don't know how to check tyre pressure or oil when they should be able to do so.

Sounds closer to learning a bit about your computer/operating system now that you're buying something to own and use rather than a service to transport you from A to B.

Besides, Macs don't "just work" see Doylo's thread about iTunes, Monoliths kernel panics, Grimers on-going saga of getting to know his new Mac etc. etc.  When you switch from PC to Mac you have to learn how to use the OS as its different.  The same is true of any computing device!!!  Some have steeper learning curves than others but its a misconception that everything will be identical between different products, yes they're similar due to convergent design but not identical and never will be (see patents dispute bollocks).

And if your seat isn't reserved on a train you don't think you'll hack into the system to sort that because the booking system isn't going to go and print out a new reserved ticket and put it on your seat (with the exception of some of the Midland and Virgin trains that have electronic displays above the seats), you go and find the conductor who...oh wait, they've cut back on staff tough shit!

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#4569 Re: Da News
October 02, 2012, 01:00:57 pm
Anyway, leave it......  :off:

Can these posts be moved to the IT News thread please?

aLICErOBERTSfANkLUB

• forum hero
  • Bucket Heid Man!
    • Comic Sans is Illegal!
#4570 Re: Da News
October 02, 2012, 01:05:51 pm
Anyway, leave it......  :off:

Can these posts be moved to the IT News thread please?

Sorry. Yes. Quite right. [I'd thought there was such a forum/thread, but couldn't find it after an extensive search*, so put it into "news"]

* All of five seconds.

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#4571 Re: Da News
October 02, 2012, 01:46:46 pm
Could this be why the country is in such a dire fucking state....

47% of MPs surveyed (and 77% of Labour MPs) can not multiply simple probabilities yet the majority claim to be numerate

The man in charge of the [Labout] party's policy review, Jon Cruddas, admitted this weekend that he is "barely numerate".

Yeah that makes sense!  Fucking idiots!

I guess the only saving grace is that most think statistics are indeed abused when used in spin.

:no: :no: :no:

tomtom

• forum hero
#4572 Re: Da News
October 02, 2012, 03:28:12 pm
An interesting look at this years Turner Prize cohort.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/artanddesign/video/2012/oct/02/turner-prize-2012-adrian-searle-video

Also - is it just me, or does Adrian Searle come across as Jeremy Clarksons alter-ego... theres something similar there. I'm not sure who would be more insulted by my statement though!

aLICErOBERTSfANkLUB

• forum hero
  • Bucket Heid Man!
    • Comic Sans is Illegal!

Stubbs

#4574 Re: Da News
October 03, 2012, 08:50:05 am
First made promises they were never going to be able to keep to win the contract, which Branson pointed out as totally ridiculous at the time.  I'm happy about this, I think the Virgin lines are the nicest ones in the country.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal