UKBouldering.com

Da News (Read 1531700 times)

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#3100 Re: Da News
May 04, 2011, 09:06:21 am
Do we really need to bother linking to twattish articles in the Daily Mail (Sun etc.) and increase the traffic on their site and bumping up their prominence on the web?

superfurrymonkey

• junky
#3101 Re: Da News
May 04, 2011, 10:07:35 am
http://therealnews.com/t2/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=31&Itemid=74&jumival=6703
This is interesting and I also believe he should of been taken alive and tried in a court, which it appears they could of done!

mrjonathanr

• forum hero
  • Getting fatter, not fitter.
#3102 Re: Da News
May 04, 2011, 10:44:38 am
High profile trial further increasing mythic status or lower-profile burial? :-\

erm, sam

• forum hero
#3103 Re: Da News
May 04, 2011, 12:39:58 pm
http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2011/may/03/ian-tomlinson-simon-harwood-prosecution

How will they be able to avoid taking the copper to trial now?

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#3104 Re: Da News
May 04, 2011, 01:29:10 pm
http://therealnews.com/t2/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=31&Itemid=74&jumival=6703
This is interesting and I also believe he should of been taken alive and tried in a court, which it appears they could of done!

Indeed, just read this and it sums things up nicely....

Quote from: Martin Luther King, Jr
I mourn the loss of thousands of precious lives, but I will not rejoice in the death of one, not even an enemy. Returning hate for hate multiplies hate, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness: only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate: only love can do that.

chris05

• forum abuser
#3105 Re: Da News
May 04, 2011, 02:01:13 pm

I mourn the loss of thousands of precious lives, but I will not rejoice in the death of one, not even an enemy. Returning hate for hate multiplies hate, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness: only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate: only love can do that.

It's a great quote (and highly relevant).

I've been a bit depressed by the media (and public) reaction to his murder. Regardless of what he did surely an arrest should have been the aim. To eventually hunt him down and kill him because he killed some (I realise its many) "of ours" smacks of childish tit-for-tat behaviour. I have tried to compare it to someone like Hitler (not necessarily a valid comparison) and although its difficult to feel any sympathy for any of them for us to be able to take the moral high ground i think its neccessary to follow our own rules regarding fair trials etc. especially when the action is taken long after an event and not during an attack/war.

Sorry for the rant. I'll get back to work now

Mike Highbury

• addict
#3106 Re: Da News
May 04, 2011, 02:12:53 pm

I'm no scholar but that doesn't look right at all.

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#3107 Re: Da News
May 04, 2011, 02:24:42 pm

It should read.....?

Mike Highbury

• addict
#3108 Re: Da News
May 04, 2011, 02:38:06 pm

It should read.....?

It looks like one of those made up things that people quote when they appear particularly prescient. There was one about Marx tumbling around the web a while ago but I cannot remember it. A poorer example is the one about Marx saying that he could never trust Lenin. But I'm happy to be wrong on this one.

fatboySlimfast

• forum hero
#3109 Re: Da News
May 04, 2011, 02:46:02 pm
it is a martin luther king speech but its the first line which is basically wrong, the original says something like 'why should we love our enemies' but the rest is pretty close

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#3110 Re: Da News
May 04, 2011, 02:48:50 pm
His famous "I have a Bream" from when he was out fishing is often misquoted too.

Mike Highbury

• addict
#3111 Re: Da News
May 04, 2011, 02:51:39 pm
it is a martin luther king speech but its the first line which is basically wrong, the original says something like 'why should we love our enemies' but the rest is pretty close

Aha, I should research more and rant less.

sidewinder

• obsessive maniac
#3112 Re: Da News
May 04, 2011, 03:11:23 pm

I wouldn't worry I'm sure he wouldn't mind the odd misquote at least you attributed it to him

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#3113 Re: Da News
May 04, 2011, 03:24:56 pm

I wouldn't worry I'm sure he wouldn't mind the odd misquote at least you attributed it to him

I always do my utmost best to give attribution where possible, and also to link to a reliable source, but in this instance where I found it didn't seem to have any verification of authenticity, so I didn't think it worth citing where I read it.

Digging deeper it appears that the first sentence of what I originally quoted is indeed misappropriated to MLK as fatboySlimfast says, the remainder comes from Chapter 4 Section 3 of Strength to Love.

Falling Down

• forum hero
    • bensblogredux
#3114 Re: Da News
May 04, 2011, 09:32:18 pm
especially when the action is taken long after an event and not during an attack/war.

Erm, I might have missed something but I don't recall OBL and AQ declaring a ceasefire and/or terms of surrender which would have paved the way for a trial in The Hague....

tomtom

• forum hero
#3115 Re: Da News
May 04, 2011, 09:42:26 pm
I've thought quite long and hard about all this, and whilst my left leaning brain thinks its pretty wrong to kill someone whether or not they were the evil uber master thats been responsible for k's of deaths... Its a hell of a lot 'neater' the way things have been done...

I think Obama has got this one pretty much spot on. Not criticising Pakistan at all, just making it pretty clear they kept them out of the loop for good reason. Not releasing pictures (that would open up a can of worms). Burial at sea - no shrine, place or point of congregation.. No trial - as if it would have any sort of legal duristiction anyway, it would be as bent as any Gitmo based trial.. No prisoner - imagine all the hostage type taking that may occur to free him etc..

Sure there will be conspiracy theorists, but I think there would be whatever was released/done/shown/photographed. To be honest I dont want to see a pic of a guy with half his head missing - I'm happy to take their word for it. It seems that its the press that are driving the need to see a picture etc.. as its a story for them... I think whatever account they released, or however much information they divulged about the wholeprocess there would be some level of conspiracy theory about....

tomtom

• forum hero
#3116 Re: Da News
May 04, 2011, 10:48:38 pm
and now for something different....

Looks like China is trying to re-create the walkway in El-Chorro....

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-pacific-13274947

aLICErOBERTSfANkLUB

• forum hero
  • Bucket Heid Man!
    • Comic Sans is Illegal!
#3117 Re: Da News
May 05, 2011, 07:04:35 am
Terry Cohen rides again?

Looks like he mght have fallen off his horse.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-13190124

The business model for "Fresh and Easy" looks remarkably similar to "Pile 'em High, Sell 'em Cheap" according to their US ad campaign.

http://www.freshandeasy.com/WhoWeAre.aspx

aLICErOBERTSfANkLUB

• forum hero
  • Bucket Heid Man!
    • Comic Sans is Illegal!
#3118 Re: Da News
May 05, 2011, 07:08:44 am
Curse of Archer strikes again

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-13283501

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#3119 Re: Da News
May 05, 2011, 09:13:54 am
Last WW I Veteran dies, what an amazing life. RIP.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-10205174

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
#3120 Re: Da News
May 05, 2011, 12:41:34 pm
Last WW I Veteran dies, what an amazing life. RIP.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-10205174

"I'm lucky aren't I, to be surviving all that time," he once told the BBC. "If I had my time over again I wouldn't change a bit of it"

Can't say fairer than that! RIP.

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
#3121 Re: Da News
May 05, 2011, 12:50:53 pm

superfurrymonkey

• junky
#3122 Re: Da News
May 05, 2011, 01:49:25 pm
Re Bin Laden, this is quite good:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/politics/blog/2011/may/05/osama-bin-laden-trial

I think this guys reply to the guardian sums it up for me.

Not in my name.

On 7th July I was on the tube next to the one that blew up at Edgware Road. Blood covered innocent passengers tried to escape from the wreckage alongside us, escaping the carnage in the dark and dusty tunnel. I sat on the floor of our carriage, eardrums burst from the blast, thinking of my wife, certain I would shortly be engulfed in flames. I hoped I would die of breathing in smoke before the burning started. I was certain it was over. I cried last tears.

At no point then or since then have I been angry with the bombers. They killed innocent people with misguided and misjudged beliefs that felt like reasons for their actions. Of course they were wrong, but their wrongness came from many places. Their own pysche must have been shaped by their world as much as by their character.

Killing Bin Laden is clean and we understand it. It's simple and therefore attractive. But motivations, drive for action and long term reward for doing 'the right thing' are not. I don't feel avenged by this death, nor those in Iraq. We haven't found our man or our country - they don't exist.

Our man is around us everywhere. The sooner we understand this - really try to see other people in the world with different beliefs as others struggling for truth in whatever way - however misguided, wrong or plain stupid - we will not make much progress.

My beliefs are not because I am religious or a pacifist. Nor am I still in fear - I travel frequently today on the tube.

But I strongly believe Bin Laden should have been tried by civil people with clear thoughts ruling their actions. This was an action that resembled a high-level, high-stakes world playground. Just because we can, does not mean we should. This action has not made me or my children safer. We have punished one man and his family and made ourselves no better than him in the process. We are all poorer as a result.

chris05

• forum abuser
#3123 Re: Da News
May 05, 2011, 01:54:24 pm
 :agree:

Must admit I didn't think much to the article, typical rambling blog (a bit like my comments!). It makes a change for me to agree with some of the comments posted on news websites!

superfurrymonkey

• junky

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal