#3075 Re: Da News
April 21, 2011, 12:44:05 pm

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#3076 Re: Da News
April 21, 2011, 01:42:58 pm
Apple not green

It focuses on Apple because they use coal in their data centre and yet Farcebook, and others aren't that far behind...

The report estimated dependence on coal for Apple's data centres at 54.5%, followed by Facebook at 53.2%, IBM at 51.6%, HP at 49.4%, and Twitter at 42.5%

Yet I'm sure its a cunning ploy to capture the attention of all the Apple fans and gander greater customer support for them to use cleaner energy in their data centres.  :-\

DaveC

• junky
  • Old skool...with emphasis on the "old".
#3077 Re: Da News
April 22, 2011, 12:32:10 pm
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/saint-george-the-canon-and-a-flood-of-rightwing-hate-2271982.html

The story is somewhat disturbing but the comments by some character called Kevin Boyle (three at last count) are priceless. Of course he's one of those NUTTERS WHO LIKE TO TYPE bits in upper case to MAKE SURE YOU KNOW HOW IMPORTANT WHAT they are saying actually is. First he starts with a couple of bizarre rants going on about the "Frankfurt group" and their conspiracy to undermine everything we supposedly stand for etc etc  :shrug:. He then caps it off with a fabulous rant about the World Trade Centre towers defying the laws of gravity or something!! :wall: Where do these nutters get some of this bullshit from?

DaveC

• junky
#3078 Re: Da News
April 24, 2011, 07:35:34 am
 :slap:  Stupid little man - it would be hilarious if he wasn't in the job he is.

http://www.theage.com.au/world/humanity-not-random-event--pope-20110424-1dso7.html

I apologise to anybody on here who's a catholic but honestly, the guy is a fuckwit of the highest order!

...and now breathe....mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm...

DaveC

• junky

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
#3080 Re: Da News
April 27, 2011, 10:12:19 am
If only!

http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandstyle/2011/apr/27/charlie-brooker-wedding-go-home
1.25pm Balcony Kiss

Your chance to witness the one image certain to dominate every newspaper's front page tomorrow. Unless Prince Harry goes mad and has a shit on the steps of the cathedral and then does a backflip and kicks a girl in the face.

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
  • "There's no cure for being a c#nt"
#3081 Re: Da News
April 29, 2011, 07:15:54 am
The 118 robber gets caught

http://www.thestar.co.uk/community/star-bizarre/cross_dress_robber_wore_fake_moustache_in_store_raids_to_evade_justice_for_seven_years_1_3328167

Quote from: Sheffield's Premier News Source
fake moustache and carrying a toy gun.

Lee wore a deerstalker

a comedy genius, shirley

.....and another of our brightest citizens falls victim to the new wave of internet crime
http://www.thestar.co.uk/news/action-desk/nigerian_conmen_strike_again_1_3312862

aLICErOBERTSfANkLUB

• forum hero
  • Bucket Heid Man!
    • Comic Sans is Illegal!

Fultonius

• forum hero
  • Was strong but crap, now weaker but better.
    • Photos

Dexter

• obsessive maniac
#3084 Re: Da News
May 02, 2011, 11:08:14 am

gremlin

• stalker
  • Ripped, but still shit!
    • Java shit
#3085 Re: Da News
May 02, 2011, 12:15:07 pm
Obama's on a roll lately: skewered that twat Trump at the White House dinner at the weekend and now sorted Bin Laden. A nice touch "burying" him at sea, if that's actually true.

Just watched the Obama "Trump roast" on Youtube. It's class!  :clap2:

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!

duncan

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#3087 Re: Da News
May 02, 2011, 01:54:13 pm
Apparently Bin Laden is dead

People who lost friend and relations on 9/11 may gain some comfort but this doesn't make any real difference to anything, except perhaps the next (US) presidential election.  Al Quaeda was mostly a phantom enemy, puffed-up by the neoconservatives, to replace the much-missed Soviet Union.  There was no unified terrorist network, only a motley collection of groups who scored some relatively small, though spectacular, successes.  The myth suited both some in the US and radical Islam.

The Power of Nightmares: excellent BBC documentary on the parallels between and symbiotic relationship of the neocons and Islamists.

Obama's on a roll lately:
Fine timing, both short-term (avoiding the wedding) and medium-term (Bin Laden had outlived his usefulness as Bogeyman; close-enough to influence the re-election campaign).

I wonder what the man-in-the-grocers-shop will make of it?

Interesting series of tweets Uh oh, now I'm the guy who liveblogged the Osama raid without knowing it.

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#3088 Re: Da News
May 02, 2011, 02:29:12 pm
DNA testing has shown conclusively that Obama shares more genes in common with a crab than he does with you and me.

mrjonathanr

• forum hero
  • Getting fatter, not fitter.
#3089 Re: Da News
May 02, 2011, 02:53:19 pm
Interesting article Jasper, thanks. Shame he didn't sound like he'd actually read Nietszche at the end.

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
#3090 Re: Da News
May 02, 2011, 03:30:10 pm
DNA testing has shown conclusively that Obama shares more genes in common with a crab than he does with you and me.

Interesting article Jasper, thanks. Shame he didn't sound like he'd actually read Nietszche at the end.

I wouldn't know but it doesn't surprise me. While I like his writing and generally agree with the gist of his articles he does have a tendancy to get carried away and not worry too much about the accuracy of everything he says....

mrjonathanr

• forum hero
  • Getting fatter, not fitter.
#3091 Re: Da News
May 02, 2011, 03:43:59 pm
Well I'm being a bit snotty but Nietszche isn't really an apologist for the master race. He did say things that can be misconstrued though, and he did go quite bananas, but his ideas were mostly about overcoming oneself, not the plebs and the arabs.

gremlin

• stalker
  • Ripped, but still shit!
    • Java shit
#3092 Re: Da News
May 02, 2011, 04:36:22 pm
I'm very sceptical about this, particularly due to the timing. It's entirely possible that Bin Liner has been dead for a while, the US has just found out and Obama's cronies have staged this to boost his image post "Trump" and pre election!

Where are the photo's, whee's the proof? Burial at sea? How convenient!

I'm such a cynic. :-\

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#3093 Re: Da News
May 02, 2011, 05:04:07 pm
I reckon there wasn't much to photograph, and the burial at sea was more like pouring a bucket of bits overboard. US Special Forces aren't known for killing with one clear headshot.

Falling Down

• forum hero
    • bensblogredux
#3094 Re: Da News
May 02, 2011, 06:03:13 pm
They do have photographs, but they won't release them for some time as it's against the Geneva convention (or some other international law) to show film or stills of dead enemy combatants.

The burial at sea was to comply with Islamic practice that a body is 'buried' within 24 hours of death.  The Saudi's wouldn't take the body so he was given an Islamic 'burial' out at sea.

I'm in agreement with Thesiger that this will have a significant impact across the world. I'm also very pleased that they got him at last and that it was in a firefight where he was given the option to surrender rather than via a remote drone attack or air strike.  Good.

aLICErOBERTSfANkLUB

• forum hero
  • Bucket Heid Man!
    • Comic Sans is Illegal!
#3095 Re: Da News
May 02, 2011, 08:24:19 pm
OK. When they heard "buried at sea" who didn't think of

?

Nibile

• forum hero
  • Part Animal Part Machine
    • TOTOLORE
#3096 Re: Da News
May 03, 2011, 07:20:22 am
I'm glad he's gone also. on 9-11 i was flying to California and had more than a few moments of terror up there when at some point i realized the Sun was on the opposite side than 5 mins before... luckily we were just going back to Paris. and then what i saw there...

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
#3097 Re: Da News
May 03, 2011, 09:07:18 am

I'm in agreement with Thesiger that this will have a significant impact across the world. I'm also very pleased that they got him at last and that it was in a firefight where he was given the option to surrender rather than via a remote drone attack or air strike.  Good.

They looked at the option of targeted bombing but Obama eventually made the call.....

http://swampland.time.com/2011/05/02/inside-the-situation-room-weve-idd-geronimo/

aLICErOBERTSfANkLUB

• forum hero
  • Bucket Heid Man!
    • Comic Sans is Illegal!
#3098 Re: Da News
May 03, 2011, 10:12:39 pm
Isn't that James Gandolfini and Peter Capaldi in the padded seats taking Method Acting just a tad too far?

aLICErOBERTSfANkLUB

• forum hero
  • Bucket Heid Man!
    • Comic Sans is Illegal!
#3099 Re: Da News
May 04, 2011, 08:52:30 am
Scum at it again, following the death of Osama Bin Laden

Learning that the world’s most-wanted terrorist was holed up in a house 100 yards away from a Pakistani army garrison is like being told that there are plans to build a giant mosque overlooking the parade ground at Sandhurst. Hang on a minute, come to think of it, that’s exactly what is being planned. It’s currently going to appeal.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/debate/article-1382835/Osama-Bin-Laden-shot-dead-A-bullet-brain-coward-deserved.html#ixzz1LMsAYmt0

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal