UKBouldering.com

Da News (Read 1531679 times)

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#2450 Re: Da News
September 08, 2010, 02:43:33 pm
People can vote with their feet. You haven't asked me if I did/do.

Probably because I don't care, but do you?

It doesn;t change the fact that there is IMHO an unpleasantness about that airline.

The reason I don't care is...

If you don't then perpetuating the "stories" is aiding their subtle blatant attempts at free advertising, so perhaps consider not posting their stories and aiding them in that respect.

If you do, why complain about it, you've made an informed choice to do so, so put up and shut up!

Attempting to charge disabled people extra:

http://www.stammeringlaw.org.uk/cases/ross.htm

In no way defending them, but you'll have noted that they weren't alone in being found guilty there, so the airport authority that runs Stanstead is also a cunt.

Charging 1300 for 3 violins:
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/travel/article-1299616/Ryanair-makes-musicians-buy-seats-VIOLINS.html

Wouldn't trust anything written by a Daily Mail hack, but...

FACT the items were over the permitted size for baggage, its their fault for being ignorant of this and failing to make the necessary arrangements (I suspect they would have been unhappy putting their violins that probably cost at LOT more than the ~£433 a seat cost for each).  Hell I could fit into an over-head bin, but I wouldn't be permitted to travel there! 

RyanAir are not alone in either preventing over-sized baggage on board nor charging extortionate fees for seats to travel at the last minute, look at how much people forked out for travel (hire car, buses, trains and the few minimal flights that did run) when there were clouds of volcanic ash.  Go to any check-in desk and try and book an extra seat as your checking in and you'll likely find its exceptionally high and a complete rip off (they do this because its a free market and they know they have you by the balls).

Your absolutely right that if that people choose with their wallet, and obviously people are happy to use ryanair. Doesn;t change the fact that a lot of people, myself included think they are cunts, who wouldn't know the definition of "goodwill" if it bit them on the arse

So as per above, stop giving them free word-of-mouth advertising by perpetuating their nonsense stories subscripted with a tag line of  "...and they're cunts for doing so!"
« Last Edit: September 08, 2010, 02:59:20 pm by slack---line »

stevej

• menacing presence
#2451 Re: Da News
September 08, 2010, 02:54:18 pm
The musical instrument thing can apparently get quite bad, they're notorious for selling people seats for their musical instruments and then putting people in them when they've oversold regardless. Also, musicians are now allegedly getting (non RA) junk mail addressed to Messers A. Trombone, A. Cello etc. delivered to their houses when the only time that 'name' has ever been used is for RA seat bookings for their instruments.

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
#2452 Re: Da News
September 08, 2010, 03:02:38 pm
How Taiwan sees the Rooney allegations:

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#2453 Re: Da News
September 08, 2010, 03:16:06 pm
The musical instrument thing can apparently get quite bad, they're notorious for selling people seats for their musical instruments and then putting people in them when they've oversold regardless.

This happens to real people too across all airlines.  Its common knowledge/practice for airlines to over-sell seats as historically there are always a few people who don't turn up, and they bank on someone taking the next flight for a small gratuity for the inconvenience (the size of which may vary).

Also, musicians are now allegedly getting (non RA) junk mail addressed to Messers A. Trombone, A. Cello etc. delivered to their houses when the only time that 'name' has ever been used is for RA seat bookings for their instruments.

Welcome to the modern world where every company (including your local council who sell the edited electoral register) that records your details sells them to marketing companies.  Got a discount card for a bar in town, guess what they're doing with your details to recuperate the "discount" you've got.

stevej

• menacing presence
#2454 Re: Da News
September 08, 2010, 03:44:29 pm
This happens to real people too across all airlines.  Its common knowledge/practice for airlines to over-sell seats as historically there are always a few people who don't turn up, and they bank on someone taking the next flight for a small gratuity for the inconvenience (the size of which may vary).

They don't make expensive, handmade, irreplaceable, fragile, hundreds-of-years-old (etc.) people get into the overhead lockers if they've paid for a seat and there's already someone in it. Paying jack all and expecting RA to offer good-value sandwiches is utterly naive but they are so un-customer orientated compared to every company I can think of (with the possible exception of the cocks at RBoS) it's astonishing.

I might sound sour, I'm not really. I never progressed past baa baa black sheep on the keyboard and have always gone (definitely not through reasons of brand loyalty) with sleazyjet.

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#2455 Re: Da News
September 08, 2010, 03:46:18 pm

I don't get the animosity people have for Ryan Air, its a free market they can do what they want (including the deviously underhand "you must pay with this obscure card otherwise we'll charge you extra" as its not outside the law).  They offer very cheap flights and if you don't want to play their game and accept the break-down of costs (extra for everything!) then its very simple, stop complaining and just fly with someone else, that way RyanAir don't get your dollar and you get a service your happier with (maybe!).

Because they are a bunch of cunts? I have no intention of ever using them, and I can still call them a bunch of cunts any time I want. Why? Because I think they are a bunch of cunts. Simple. Same as Starbucks, same as MacDonalds same as any organisation I choose not to use.

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#2456 Re: Da News
September 08, 2010, 04:07:29 pm
Because they are a bunch of cunts? I have no intention of ever using them, and I can still call them a bunch of cunts any time I want. Why? Because I think they are a bunch of cunts. Simple. Same as Starbucks, same as MacDonalds same as any organisation I choose not to use.

You can indeed, but I refer you to my thoughts regarding not perpetuating their free advertising strategies (although perhaps McDonalds should be paying some UKB fees for the inadvertent McFiend advertising that goes on here  :-\).

I think quite a few things are cunts/cuntish, but I don't get riled by it and feel the need to post "Grrr, look at these cunts" each time they do some new cuntish thing, particularly when its so transparent that they are playing the media game to get free advertising.

They don't make expensive, handmade, irreplaceable, fragile, hundreds-of-years-old (etc.) people get into the overhead lockers if they've paid for a seat and there's already someone in it.

Eh?  You were talking about over booking seats, which happens to people not just over-sized baggage (which is what you originally highlighted it as).  The over-sized baggage wouldn't be allowed on board to be placed in the over-head bin....because its over-sized which is why they had to pay for a seat for it in the first place, and excess people aren't allowed to travel!  Nowhere have I said that over-sized baggage or people should be placed in over-head compartments, I was making the point that just because something (e.g. violin)/someone (e.g. me) could fit into an over-head bin doesn't mean that it should ("Oh but our violins are only a little bit over the limit and they'd fit in the overhead-bins" which was part of the linked article)  :shrug:

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
#2457 Re: Da News
September 08, 2010, 04:12:43 pm

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#2458 Re: Da News
September 08, 2010, 04:17:36 pm
Woof!

stevej

• menacing presence
#2459 Re: Da News
September 08, 2010, 04:23:38 pm
Eh?  You were talking about over booking seats, which happens to people not just over-sized baggage (which is what you originally highlighted it as).  The over-sized baggage wouldn't be allowed on board to be placed in the over-head bin....because its over-sized which is why they had to pay for a seat for it in the first place, and excess people aren't allowed to travel!  Nowhere have I said that over-sized baggage or people should be placed in over-head compartments, I was making the point that just because something (e.g. violin)/someone (e.g. me) could fit into an over-head bin doesn't mean that it should

Yeah, I understand that. If someone takes an oversized case onto a plane despite all the warnings not to do so then they're an idiot if they get butt-hurt when they get charged for hold baggage. What I was saying is that when musicians take their musicy things onto a plane, paying for extra seats specifically for the inanimate instruments, they're often fucked by RA who treat their already paid-for non-human seat-bookings as still sell-able seats and insist that the instruments go in over-head lockers or their owners bugger off. This isn't a simple case of 'you get what you pay for', this is RA being dicks because they don't lose any money or any sleep when they fuck people over.

Don't give a crap about their blatant free advertising (which is all clearly a ruse to get people arguing "you get what you pay for so just pipe down" anyway so yes, dog gets bone) any more than I care about musicians but they clearly are dicks with absolutely no respect for anyone.

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
#2460 Re: Da News
September 08, 2010, 04:27:30 pm
I was just taking the piss out of slackers.

stevej

• menacing presence
#2461 Re: Da News
September 08, 2010, 04:49:48 pm
Yeah I know, I still always feel like a knob after a UKC-esque pointless debate. It was going so well, I must have made a year without getting sucked into anything and then bamm!. I would post an unfortunately overused XKCD comic but that would just make it official and it's starting to get clichéd too.

Anyway, on a lighter note here's todays obligatory beeb shit journo happy rape/murder/religion/twat-free article that I pay my £150 a year for them to churn out:
can you tell I've had a tough week in the office?

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#2462 Re: Da News
September 08, 2010, 05:13:30 pm
Yeah, I understand that. If someone takes an oversized case onto a plane despite all the warnings not to do so then they're an idiot if they get butt-hurt when they get charged for hold baggage. What I was saying is that when musicians take their musicy things onto a plane, paying for extra seats specifically for the inanimate instruments, they're often fucked by RA who treat their already paid-for non-human seat-bookings as still sell-able seats and insist that the instruments go in over-head lockers or their owners bugger off. This isn't a simple case of 'you get what you pay for', this is RA being dicks because they don't lose any money or any sleep when they fuck people over.

a) They wouldn't insist the instruments go in over-head lockers, theres a reason they had to purchase a seat for the item it to travel in in the first place.

b) That would happen with any airline though 'cause they all over sell seats, its not an RyanAir exclusive practice.  It existed long before RyanAir even came into business.  It sucks yes, some airlines will put you up in a hotel pay for your meals and give you some extra cash for the inconvenience, when they have overbooked and everyone turns up, others will offer less (which is unfair).  Solution

I just see no point in going "Oh look, people who we knew to be cunts are saying their going to do more cuntish things just to get free advertising, lets spread that around everywhere and tell everyone how much of a cunt that makes them".

When there is no prior knowledge or example of cuntish behaviour and some transpires thats of more interest.

tomtom

• forum hero
#2463 Re: Da News
September 08, 2010, 05:53:47 pm

I don't get the animosity people have for Ryan Air, its a free market they can do what they want (including the deviously underhand "you must pay with this obscure card otherwise we'll charge you extra" as its not outside the law).  They offer very cheap flights and if you don't want to play their game and accept the break-down of costs (extra for everything!) then its very simple, stop complaining and just fly with someone else, that way RyanAir don't get your dollar and you get a service your happier with (maybe!).

I agree that RA are cnuts. But at least McDonalds and Starbucks deliver a shit product well (strike me down but I quite like Starbucks coffee). Unlike RA which delivers a shit product shitly - and they make you pay extra for the pleasure of paying (per person not per transationn which is highly suspect - unless you have the XYZ pre pay debit card - jesus its like a f*kcing game figuring out how to pay the cocksuckers without an extra charge!)

RA are my last resort airline. If I have to be somewhere and the only way of reasonably getting there is RA then I will sit and suffer for the experience. But I would rather eat my own hair. Smeared in dog shit. In a sewer. In a war zone. With westlife tinkling along in the background. Whilst a S&M midget is bbq'ing my feet. While it was raining. And having to listen to Jim Davidson reading out loud a Jeremy Clarkson book.

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
#2464 Re: Da News
September 08, 2010, 05:56:51 pm
....and eating a bacon and egg McMuffin?

Maybe not that bad actually.

tomtom

• forum hero
#2465 Re: Da News
September 08, 2010, 06:07:39 pm
....and eating a bacon and egg McMuffin?

Jim Davidson or the S&M dwarf?   ;)

SA Chris

• forum hero
#2466 Re: Da News
September 08, 2010, 07:02:47 pm
I think quite a few things are cunts/cuntish, but I don't get riled by it and feel the need to post "Grrr, look at these cunts" each time they do some new cuntish thing, particularly when its so transparent that they are playing the media game to get free advertising.

Fair enough but

a) you should, it's good for your mental healtth to vent your anger somwhere and
b) you shouldn't let it bother you if other people do.

aLICErOBERTSfANkLUB

• forum hero
  • Bucket Heid Man!
    • Comic Sans is Illegal!
#2467 Re: Da News
September 08, 2010, 10:17:58 pm
Yeah 'cause thats a really good idea, nice of you to display the virtues of tolerance that your religion preaches!  :wank: :wall: :wank: :wall:

This is the "burning the Koran-protected-by-'our'-free-speech-right story" isn't it?

(I can just tell without looking.)

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#2468 Re: Da News
September 09, 2010, 09:28:08 am

Fair enough but

a) you should, it's good for your mental healtth to vent your anger somwhere and

Venting is indeed all good, but to help cunts with their free advertising strategy seems to be somewhat ludicrous.

b) you shouldn't let it bother you if other people do.

It was a slow day.

SA Chris

• forum hero
#2469 Re: Da News
September 09, 2010, 09:34:04 am
So they are cunts now? :)

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
#2470 Re: Da News
September 09, 2010, 10:06:24 am

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!

tomtom

• forum hero
#2472 Re: Da News
September 09, 2010, 11:43:23 am
Pressure mounts:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2010/sep/08/phone-hacking-news-of-the-world-witness?CMP=twt_gu

Good. Good. Good and Good again. Nail the fuckers.

I hope someone is able to follow the trail of dirty money all the way up to Murcoch...

This whole saga has of course led me to a state of paranoia. Worried that work have hacked my mobile I have got MrsTT to leave a series of fake answerphone messages saying 'Could you work at home today as the boiler needs fixing' and 'the cat needs taking to the vet' etc.. to justify my skiving working at home.

SA Chris

• forum hero
#2473 Re: Da News
September 09, 2010, 12:24:59 pm
Why do you keep complaining about NotW? If you don't like what they do, just don't buy the newspaper.

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#2474 Re: Da News
September 09, 2010, 12:38:24 pm
Why do you keep complaining about NotW? If you don't like what they do, just don't buy the newspaper.

:lol:

I think whats more interesting about this is the police failing to follow up anything beyond the royal family.

(I don't buy any newspapers btw)

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal