UKBouldering.com

Da News (Read 1533180 times)

butters

• forum hero
  • Natural Born Punter
  • Everything's a grade harder hauling these 'burns!!
    • blog of butters
#1250 Re: Da News
October 19, 2009, 10:00:54 am

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#1251 Re: Da News
October 19, 2009, 11:01:53 am

Disney kicks 'Ho White' out of bed

So Snow White was purely an invention of the Disney Corporation? Bollocks.

chillax

• forum abuser
#1252 Re: Da News
October 19, 2009, 12:27:18 pm

Looks like grumpy didn't get any

Houdini

• forum hero
  • Heil Mary
#1253 Re: Da News
October 19, 2009, 01:05:09 pm

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
  • "There's no cure for being a c#nt"

SA Chris

• forum hero
#1257 Re: Da News
October 20, 2009, 10:06:54 am
Throw away the Casiotone.

New instrument scales musical heights

Was Moby the best they could come up with?

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#1258 Re: Da News
October 20, 2009, 10:37:08 am
Quite interesting.

The best "new" instrument that I've come across in recent years is the Hangdrum.  I guess its pretty easy to come up with new percussion instruments (there's a great tune with a sample about humans evolving and banging a log and coming up with a rhythm that always makes me smile), but the hang drum in the right hands is beautiful.  I've got several of Manu Delago's CDs.  He must eat a lot of eggs, but here's a sampler...

(Probably posted before, but its rather good so no harm done :) )

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#1260 Re: Da News
October 21, 2009, 01:48:52 pm
No License to Sing  :shrug: PRS gone mad.

Will Hunt

• forum hero
  • Superworm is super-long
    • Unknown Stones
#1261 Re: Da News
October 21, 2009, 02:25:43 pm
I think the PRS is important for big chains etc. Obviously this is much different and a mistake was made, one of the outcomes of trying to have one big system to deal with all situations. A nice, personal apology I think.

chillax

• forum abuser
#1262 Re: Da News
October 21, 2009, 02:35:28 pm
This made me laugh  :)

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#1263 Re: Da News
October 21, 2009, 03:42:26 pm
I think the PRS is important for big chains etc. Obviously this is much different and a mistake was made, one of the outcomes of trying to have one big system to deal with all situations. A nice, personal apology I think.

A nice personal apology granted, but someone should have had the sense to realise that its someone singing in a shop as they work, with no backing group or music and it shouldn't have happened in the first place.

I don't necessarily agree that its important for big chains or anywhere either really.  The royalties don't go to the musicians, well very little will do if the amount they get from a CD sale is anything to go by, its just so the music companies can rake in tons of cash for doing dick all.

Besides which, what about the radios/staff personal mp3 players/spotify/mp3 streaming you have down at climbing walls and so forth?  Pretty sure the radio in the Matrix isn't licensed under PRS, but there are certainly quite a few people who have paid for entry and hear it.

Record industries need to rethink their business models as the're holding onto a sinking ship with royalties with this facet.

SA Chris

• forum hero
#1264 Re: Da News
October 21, 2009, 05:13:48 pm
I expect it was just some jumped up jobsworth operating on their behalf, and not PRS targeting anything.

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
#1265 Re: Da News
October 21, 2009, 05:29:50 pm
 :agree:

Quote from: slack---line
I don't necessarily agree that its important for big chains or anywhere either really.  The royalties don't go to the musicians, well very little will do if the amount they get from a CD sale is anything to go by, its just so the music companies can rake in tons of cash for doing dick all.

Correct me if I'm wrong but I think the PRS collects money solely for the songwriter or holder of the copyright of the song not the record company.

Record industries need to rethink their business models as the're holding onto a sinking ship with royalties with this facet.

I think the PRS and organisations like it are / will be a major part of that rethinking. e.g. the youtube music video thing, now sorted.

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#1266 Re: Da News
October 21, 2009, 05:42:40 pm
:agree:

Correct me if I'm wrong but I think the PRS collects money solely for the songwriter or holder of the copyright of the song not the record company.

Fair-dos I did no research before making the above statement.  However, a lot of artists don't write their own songs or hold the copyright (e.g. didn't Michael Jackson buy the rights to the Beatles catalogue?).  I guess thats starting to change, but it must still be the record companies who take the largest share of royalties for PRS.

Also, if the above article is accurate how do they quantify which artists are to receive royalties for songs played on the radio?  How do they even assess what radio stations have been played within a given establishment so that they can look at the track list and apportion remuneration?

I'm sure the answers are out there, I just can't be arsed looking them up at the moment.

As for the jobsworth slant, just train people properly and/or employ people with common sense, its not really a justifiable excuse to my mind.  I mean does this particular jobsworth start running after people he passes in the street who are humming away to themselves for royalties for their public performances?

SA Chris

• forum hero
#1267 Re: Da News
October 22, 2009, 08:20:29 am
I agree that it is poor staffing, all I was saying is I doubt it was any sort of strategy on their behalf, not making an excuse for the behaviour.

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
#1268 Re: Da News
October 22, 2009, 10:02:35 am
Also, if the above article is accurate how do they quantify which artists are to receive royalties for songs played on the radio?  How do they even assess what radio stations have been played within a given establishment so that they can look at the track list and apportion remuneration?

I'm sure the answers are out there, I just can't be arsed looking them up at the moment.

http://tinyurl.com/ygzr4vn  :P

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#1269 Re: Da News
October 22, 2009, 11:48:54 am

http://tinyurl.com/ygzr4vn  :P

Touche!

Seems the original instance may not be an overly zealous employee though if the Media coverage is anything to go by.

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#1270 Re: Da News
October 22, 2009, 12:58:23 pm
High-five on the job front

If the prices quoted are for top-end stuff like White Widow then thats well cheap!

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#1271 Re: Da News
October 22, 2009, 03:23:03 pm
What a revelation!

I'd hardly calling wanting to have a drink whilst cooking "extreme" though, damn glad I didn't go to Stanford :thumbsdown:

One less attention seeking whiner  :thumbsup:

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
#1272 Re: Da News
October 22, 2009, 09:49:24 pm
PRS generally is a good thing. However there is a slight flaw in their methodology; any money that can't be given to the correct recipient - because they've disappeared etc - gets given to Sting, on the basis he gets the biggest chunk of the rest anyway. I have it on good authority that this is FACT, though google doesn't seem to be able to back it up for me...

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#1273 Re: Da News
October 23, 2009, 12:38:09 am
PRS generally is a good thing. However there is a slight flaw in their methodology; any money that can't be given to the correct recipient - because they've disappeared etc - gets given to Sting, on the basis he gets the biggest chunk of the rest anyway. I have it on good authority that this is FACT, though google doesn't seem to be able to back it up for me...

:lol:

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
#1274 Re: Da News
October 23, 2009, 07:48:29 am
Sting or Mr Sting?

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal