UKBouldering.com

Da News (Read 1532771 times)

Sloper

• forum hero
  • fat and weak but with good footwork.
#1000 Re: Da News
August 25, 2009, 10:19:56 pm
Solicitor fails to understand basics of year one criminal law. :spank: :spank: :spank: :spank: :spank: :spank: :spank:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/politics/2009/aug/25/police-remove-items-unlocked-cars

Note, for theft to be committed there needs to be disohnesty an intention to permanently deprive the owner of their property, taking gear and giving it to the rozzers for safe keeping with a note explaining that, probably doesn't look dishonest or indeed that you're trying to permanently deprive them of their stuff.

Clart

• obsessive maniac
  • Safe as f*ck
#1001 Re: Da News
August 25, 2009, 10:57:19 pm
Solicitor fails to understand basics of year one criminal law. :spank: :spank: :spank: :spank: :spank: :spank: :spank:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/politics/2009/aug/25/police-remove-items-unlocked-cars

Note, for theft to be committed there needs to be disohnesty an intention to permanently deprive the owner of their property, taking gear and giving it to the rozzers for safe keeping with a note explaining that, probably doesn't look dishonest or indeed that you're trying to permanently deprive them of their stuff.

That's fair enough but aside from it being a fucking retarded idea isn't there a danger that someone could claim they had 1 million cash in the glove box that the police conveniently forgot to declare on the list of items they removed for safe keeping?

What other genius ideas do Richmond council have planned I wonder? Aggravated assault if you're seen walking around holding a mobile, GBH if you're caught staggering home from the pub pissed?

Sloper

• forum hero
#1002 Re: Da News
August 25, 2009, 11:18:29 pm
Of course they could, they could claim that they were fucking Lord Lucan (a deluded necrophilliac, more common than you'd think) for all the good it would do them.

Personally I think it's a great idea, being a completely absent minded fuckwit I once left my car door open with the keys in the ignition and lots of goodies loose in the car.  This was at fucking Stanage and I only realised when walking down from the crag.

The old bill had been around checking cars and leaving a report on the back of one of the 'no valuables left in the car' with a mobile phone number and a message to ring answer a security question to be told where he'd hidden the keys.  he'd stuffed the valuables into the spare tyre area and made the car look as if it was empty before securing it.  Top Policing and I was most grateful.

This is exactly what policing is about and the stupid cvnts who complain about initiatives like this deserve to be robbed.

butters

• forum hero
  • Natural Born Punter
  • Everything's a grade harder hauling these 'burns!!
    • blog of butters
#1003 Re: Da News
August 25, 2009, 11:19:28 pm

Just how far into that article did you get before exploding into apoplectic rage and posting here?

Quote from: Louise Christian
"The way for the police to encourage the law to be kept, is not to engage in something that verges on lawbreaking," she said. "If this was done by a private person they would undoubtedly be prosecuted for theft."

"Christian said the law governing theft means that apart from taking someone else's goods, a person must intend to permanently deprive them of it to be found guilty of theft."

I see no great misunderstanding here.

Sloper

• forum hero
#1004 Re: Da News
August 25, 2009, 11:35:05 pm
I read the whole thing and the quote "If this was done by a private person they would undoubtedly be prosecuted for theft." which is fucking bollocks, that she might have gone on to explain some of the basic tenets of the law of theft to the journo (read unpaid hooray henry intern) is missing the point.

It is a direct quote and it's shite.

Clart

• obsessive maniac
  • Safe as f*ck
#1005 Re: Da News
August 26, 2009, 08:27:32 am
Of course they could, they could claim that they were fucking Lord Lucan (a deluded necrophilliac, more common than you'd think) for all the good it would do them.

Personally I think it's a great idea, being a completely absent minded fuckwit I once left my car door open with the keys in the ignition and lots of goodies loose in the car.  This was at fucking Stanage and I only realised when walking down from the crag.

The old bill had been around checking cars and leaving a report on the back of one of the 'no valuables left in the car' with a mobile phone number and a message to ring answer a security question to be told where he'd hidden the keys.  he'd stuffed the valuables into the spare tyre area and made the car look as if it was empty before securing it.  Top Policing and I was most grateful.

This is exactly what policing is about and the stupid cvnts who complain about initiatives like this deserve to be robbed.

Surely it's the stupid 'cvnts' who leave their valuables on display who deserve to be robbed?

tomtom

• forum hero

Sloper

• forum hero
#1007 Re: Da News
August 26, 2009, 09:20:56 am

Surely it's the stupid 'cvnts' who leave their valuables on display who deserve to be robbed?

And women wearing short skirts while drunk deserve to be raped? :wank: :wank: :wank: :wank: :wank:

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#1008 Re: Da News
August 26, 2009, 09:35:25 am
I had an interesting experience concerning "theft" the other week.

Some scrote was wandering through our back garden at 02:00 and my wife saw him hoping over the fence into next doors and back before she disturbed him by turning the lights on.

Next morning apart from my hose-pipe reel managing to walk the length of the garden it appeared that he'd dropped a crow bar in the neighbours back garden and after I spoke to them to say that some low-life scum had been snooping around and dropped said crow-bar in the garden I offered to take the crow-bar and contact the police to see if they'd be interested in dusting for prints or some such nonsense (turns out it was a waste of time pursuing that line since it had rained and washed any off).

Anyway, after that the lady on the phone then asked me to take the crow-bar to the station.  I explained that since they weren't going to do anything with it I couldn't be bothered to waste my time going out of my way to take it down there.

She then informed me that "technically" that was considered to be theft!!!  And then went on to explain that any item you find in the street should be handed in to the police and to keep it was also considered theft!!!

She reiterated that I should take the crow-bar in but I explained (again) that I wasn't going to waste my time 'cause some stupid thieving little shit had been somewhere that they shouldn't have been and dropped something.  Further if they had someone coming in asking for a lost crow-bar then they could contact me for its return!!!

I find this a ridiculous situation, although its quite likely that the woman was talking out of her arse.

Whatever happened to "Possession is 9/10ths of the law" ? (Although obviously thats not the most legally robust phrase and is likely bullshit anyway).

Sloper

• forum hero
#1009 Re: Da News
August 26, 2009, 09:41:11 am
There's an offence which is commonly known as theft by finding, for example if you find a lottery ticket on the floor and having found out that it's a winning ticket just decide to cash it in then that's theft of the ticket and fraud to obtain the prize.

Title of lost / discarded property can pass but it's a fairly unclear area of law.

tomtom

• forum hero

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#1011 Re: Da News
August 26, 2009, 11:45:54 am
There's an offence which is commonly known as theft by finding, for example if you find a lottery ticket on the floor and having found out that it's a winning ticket just decide to cash it in then that's theft of the ticket and fraud to obtain the prize.

Title of lost / discarded property can pass but it's a fairly unclear area of law.

Why should the value of the ticket (i.e. whether its won or not) influence the ownership, surely the principle as to who owns a ticket or any other item found in the street (or on my property when they shouldn't have been there) should transcend this facet?

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#1012 Re: Da News
August 26, 2009, 11:46:56 am
I'm un-PC  :lol:

Great news there tomtom, about time too.

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
#1013 Re: Da News
August 26, 2009, 11:50:09 am
Why should the value of the ticket (i.e. whether its won or not) influence the ownership, surely the principle as to who owns a ticket or any other item found in the street (or on my property when they shouldn't have been there) should transcend this facet?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/wiltshire/8001796.stm

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#1014 Re: Da News
August 26, 2009, 11:51:42 am
Surprised they are even bothering with another series of BB in 2010. I don't know anyone who gives a rat's ass about it anymore, even the daft lasses in the office are bored with it.

tomtom

• forum hero
#1015 Re: Da News
August 26, 2009, 11:56:19 am
Surprised they are even bothering with another series of BB in 2010. I don't know anyone who gives a rat's ass about it anymore, even the daft lasses in the office are bored with it.

Yup - couldnt find the piece, but there was an article a few weeks ago where they were saying the big factor was that the Star & Sun were not carrying any BB headlines - it had dropped below a public interest threshold. Good thing too...

john horscroft

• forum hero
  • Just abusive
  • High Rocks? Best crag in the country mate.....
    • John Horscroft - Writer

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#1017 Re: Da News
August 26, 2009, 12:01:42 pm

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/wiltshire/8001796.stm

Yes I'm aware of that case, but if the law is stating that something found in the street and should be handed in and returned to the owner then it doesn't matter whether it won £10 or £1000000.  Laws (in my idealistic little world) should be unambiguous ( :lol: ) and the value of the found item should be irrelevant as to how its treated.  

Someone else needs to go back to Law School

I'd be interested to know how they are identifying all these unlocked cars, just sauntering down the street trying the door handles as they go?  Most new cars (and lets be honest its Richmond in London so there aren't going to be many bangers) have central locking and the locks on the inside are either very hard to see or non-existant.  Basically theres no visual indication on most cars that they are unlocked, so are bobbies just wandering around trying to get into cars?
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/london/8220274.stm

galpinos

• forum hero
#1018 Re: Da News
August 26, 2009, 12:37:26 pm

However, Big Brother is unlikely to disappear from UK TV screens, with another broadcaster expected to step in to pick up the rights from Endemol.

Gutted

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#1019 Re: Da News
August 26, 2009, 12:45:35 pm
Seems its not just cars that the police are checking.

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
#1021 Re: Da News
August 27, 2009, 09:16:49 am
Wonder what Cameron will say.

Will Hunt

• forum hero
  • Superworm is super-long
    • Unknown Stones

Sloper

• forum hero
#1023 Re: Da News
August 27, 2009, 09:22:27 am
What do you actually know of Enoch Powell's politics other than the infamous 'rivers of blood' speech? Precious little it would seem

Enoch Powell was a great intellect, and many of his views as per democracy would be more associated with the centre left than the far right, he was against the continuation of the empire against the inheirited political influence prevalent at the time in the Tory party, he was against the moral relativism which was used to justify British attrocities in Kenya

As for his views on immigration, I fundamentally disagree with them but can understand how he reached them given the American experience.  Enoch Powell was not however a racist and decried the NF and their policies.

Now there'll be another bandwagon to jump on in a moment.

tomtom

• forum hero
#1024 Re: Da News
August 27, 2009, 09:35:22 am

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal