UKBouldering.com

Da News (Read 1531938 times)

Joepicalli

• forum abuser
#250 Re: Da News
February 18, 2009, 08:52:14 pm
but if I knew I was to die in x months and could provide financially for Hugo by blowing Gordon Brown on the steps of Downing Street I'd be down on my knees sucking man beef.
A mental image of such profoundly disturbing proportions that I may need to lobotomize myself with a spoon in order to rid myself of it. Loss of higher brain function seems a paltry price to pay.

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#251 Re: Da News
February 18, 2009, 09:35:36 pm
Indeed. I might try using a soldering iron.

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
#252 Re: Da News
February 19, 2009, 09:46:16 am
Providing for her kids - fine. They will obviously start off with a fuckload more money than 99% of children in this country - but no mother so that's still quite sad. Blah blah blah couldn't really care less. There are loads of nicer people in similar situations (but without the cash) who don't get a second thought from "the general public".

What I do find offensive is that everything to do with this wretched chav is broadcast as "news". Also, suddenly all these people who derided Goody for being the scummy horrible talentless money grabber that she is now suddenly see the same behaviour traits as saintly just because she's dying.

Unfortunately even her death wont be the end of it. I wonder how much OK have paid for rights to the funeral where Elton John will no doubt get in on the act again. Although "Goodbye England's Scroat" doesn't quite have the same ring to it I'm sure the pug faced, syrup headed, griefmongering queen wont be able to resist.

dave

#253 Re: Da News
February 19, 2009, 09:55:21 am
When she goes I'm sure there well be mountains of flowers left by wellwishers outside branches of argos the length and breadth of the country.

The idea of trying to provide for your kids is a great one, but as J-note points out, she's minted already, and the dignity and privacy that her kids can enjoy for years to come by not having had every waking moment of their mum's long and drawn-out death broadcast and analysed in the tabloids for several months is something that money can't buy. Sometimes it's not about the cheque.

tomtom

• forum hero
#254 Re: Da News
February 19, 2009, 10:15:46 am
I made my views pretty clear in an earlier post. But another thing that saddens me about all this is how 'reality' has shifted for Jade Goody herself. SHe was once a fairly normal person (OK thats debatable, but you know what i mean) then via BB she became some sort of reality celebrity - and was very successful at it. Despite the Shilpa Shetty episode she was the most successful (financially) of the BB contestants.

What disturbs me, is that this new 'reality star' life has become the norm for her. So when something terrible happens and her life is ending - instead of retreating to what I (and most people?) woudl consider normal safe places - friends, family, wherever you feel comforable - its all hung out in a public spectacle. This has become her new norm - being in - and ending her life - in the public eye instead. So she wants/feels comfortable ending it all in front of the camera instead of with friends/family.

Its weird on all sorts of levels.
It could be a Chris Morris program (if it wasnt real).
If it really wasnt so sad, I'd be laughing about it..
I'm no philosopher, but theres something clammily postmodern about it...

As I posted earlier, good for her thinking of her kids and good for her for raising awareness of cancer. But please stop the peeproadshow. Max Clifford.....
I heard on tthe radio that Mohammad (no chance passport) Al Fayedd had donated a wedding dress from Harrods. Sure, if he really cared for her it would be anonymous etc.. instead I can imagine the call. "Hi there is that Harrods, its Fiona here from Max Cliffords office.. we're covering Jade GOodies tragic wedding and wondered if Mohammed and Harrods might have a dress they could give her?.... Yeah? Great? OK, and we'll make sure Mohammed and Harrods are mentioned copiously in the press releases"... thats the way it all works... Sickening.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2009, 10:31:59 am by tomtom, Reason: typo »

dave

#255 Re: Da News
February 19, 2009, 10:35:59 am
since the momentum has run out of the "The Queen killed my son" theory old Mo has to get some free advertising from somewhere. You forget that this is the man who went on the ali-g show on the basis that there's no such thing as bad publicity.

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
#256 Re: Da News
February 19, 2009, 11:19:07 am
There is a thread on Cocktalk "Poor Jade Goody" started by Al Evans and saying how he feels bad for all the things he's said about her (see above). A quick glance revealed anyone daring to say anything bad about her being burned at the stake ("I take it YOU don't have CHILDREN!" etc).

Hilarious! It really is Daily Mail South Central.

SA Chris

• forum hero
#257 Re: Da News
February 19, 2009, 11:28:01 am
So as soon as you someone you have slagged off has some misfortune, then you feel bad?

Fuck it, if that wanker Chris Martin dies horribly tomorrow, I suspect i would live with the bad feelings, knowing he won't have to subject the world to another note. Happy to take it for the team.

dave

#258 Re: Da News
February 19, 2009, 11:30:24 am
have you read the old TvGoHome website, with all the "Daily Mail Island" episodes? Genius on that theme.

http://www.tvgohome.com/1102-2000.html
http://www.tvgohome.com/0704-2000.html
http://www.tvgohome.com/2502-2000.html

etc etc

nik at work

• forum hero
#259 Re: Da News
February 19, 2009, 11:56:56 am
I think there are distinctions to be drawn. Jade Goody is thick and ignorant and her rise to fame and riches is a product of the general publics satisfaction with lowest common denominator television. She has in the course of her career expressed views and opinions that are distastful. The sad fact is these views are probably to a large extent the views of the common man in the street, as that is after all what she is. She has chosen to stick her head above the celebrity parapet, and as such she is fair game for comment on her actions and statements. Regardless of her medical state. However revelling in her impending demise seems a totally different bucket of kidneys. She's not Pol Pot, or Hitler, or etc etc etc.... She's just a stupid person in a shit situation which she probably isn't well prepared to handle. I wish her well for the future and hope that her current course of action realises the results she is hoping for. I still think she's thick and ignorant, but these things aren't crimes. I'm more concerned about a society that wishes to create this type of celebrity than the celebrity themselves.

tomtom

• forum hero
#260 Re: Da News
February 19, 2009, 12:06:25 pm
I think there are distinctions to be drawn. Jade Goody is thick and ignorant and her rise to fame and riches is a product of the general publics satisfaction with lowest common denominator television. She has in the course of her career expressed views and opinions that are distastful. The sad fact is these views are probably to a large extent the views of the common man in the street, as that is after all what she is. She has chosen to stick her head above the celebrity parapet, and as such she is fair game for comment on her actions and statements. Regardless of her medical state. However revelling in her impending demise seems a totally different bucket of kidneys. She's not Pol Pot, or Hitler, or etc etc etc.... She's just a stupid person in a shit situation which she probably isn't well prepared to handle. I wish her well for the future and hope that her current course of action realises the results she is hoping for. I still think she's thick and ignorant, but these things aren't crimes. I'm more concerned about a society that wishes to create this type of celebrity than the celebrity themselves.
Well put Nik.  :agree:

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
#261 Re: Da News
February 19, 2009, 12:07:35 pm
Of course the same people who slag / deify Goody and the like are the ones buying OK magazine / The Sun thereby paying for their lifestyles and perpetuating the whole fucked up situation.

:shrug:  :wall:

nik at work

• forum hero
#262 Re: Da News
February 19, 2009, 12:09:14 pm
No argument from me there. Like I said more concerned about the society than the celebrity....

Duma

• forum hero
#263 Re: Da News
February 19, 2009, 12:32:43 pm
Revelling in her impending demise seems a totally different bucket of kidneys. She's not Pol Pot, or Hitler, or etc etc etc.... She's just a stupid person in a shit situation which she probably isn't well prepared to handle. I wish her well for the future and hope that her current course of action realises the results she is hoping for. I still think she's thick and ignorant, but these things aren't crimes. I'm more concerned about a society that wishes to create this type of celebrity than the celebrity themselves.

Well said. Some of the recent comments on this thread have done their authors no favours at all.

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
#264 Re: Da News
February 19, 2009, 12:56:28 pm
I fail to see one comment on this thread that could be construed as "revelling in her impending demise". I assumed that nik's comment was with regard to the attitude shown by some people (such as the website set up predicting when Goody will die) rather than anyone on here. And I agree with everything he said.

Duma, what are you on about?

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#265 Re: Da News
February 19, 2009, 01:08:50 pm
Anyone who consciously chooses to place themselves prominently in the media's eye has to accept that they are going to attract positive and negative commentary.  Some of this will invariably be distasteful (in both directions, sycophancy isn't an attractive trait).

chillax

• forum abuser
#266 Re: Da News
February 19, 2009, 01:22:20 pm
I fail to see one comment on this thread that could be construed as "revelling in her impending demise". I assumed that nik's comment was with regard to the attitude shown by some people (such as the website set up predicting when Goody will die) rather than anyone on here. And I agree with everything he said.

Duma, what are you on about?

Possibly this...
Reports of Jade Goody's imminent demise struck me as possibly the best proof so far that prayer does work.

Despite agreeing with most of whats been said on this thread, it does seem a tad harsh.

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
#267 Re: Da News
February 19, 2009, 01:26:36 pm
You need to quote JB in the context of the rest of his post.....

And God, like tv censorship, is more easily swayed by the indignation of the masses than genuine sentiment.

SA Chris

• forum hero
#268 Re: Da News
February 19, 2009, 04:19:37 pm

tomtom

• forum hero
#269 Re: Da News
February 19, 2009, 04:55:01 pm
Anyhoo

Irish super felon still at large

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/northern_ireland/7899171.stm?lss

Thats quality: "Prawo Jazdy is actually the Polish for driving licence and not the first and surname on the licence," read a letter from June 2007 from an officer working within the Garda's traffic division. "

Reminds me of a friend who came to visit me in Aberystwyth by train and said he got really confused by the time he'd been through the 5th station called 'Gorsaf'....  :)

magpie

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
#270 Re: Da News
February 19, 2009, 05:16:00 pm

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder

tomtom

• forum hero
#272 Re: Da News
February 19, 2009, 05:29:01 pm
The Internet is bad for your health  :(
Thats me fucked then  ::)
Yeah, I'm perfectly happy living with my PC in a darkened room and only catching glimpses of 'the outside' as I snatch my shopping from the tesco home delivery guy. Who needs to see other humans eh.. pah.   

Its a bit of a no shit sherlock story.. if you spend all your time doing one thing or staying in one place - of course it makes you socially dysfunctional! I'll tell you its nearly happened to me after spending hours under demon wall roof.....  ;)

Will Hunt

• forum hero
  • Superworm is super-long
    • Unknown Stones
#273 Re: Da News
February 19, 2009, 06:11:31 pm
Google ad at the bottom of this page:
http://tinyurl.com/dfra74
 ???

chillax

• forum abuser
#274 Re: Da News
February 19, 2009, 11:10:13 pm
"We both got out. There was no damage and Miss P***** is a fat chav who definately (sic) does not have whiplash."

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/5/20090219/tuk-fat-chav-insurance-claim-form-leaked-45dbed5.html

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal