UKBouldering.com

Bike recommendation - but only from Halfords! (Read 8206 times)

mini

• forum abuser
  • A not so
Bike recommendation - but only from Halfords!
October 18, 2008, 10:28:36 am
Heres the deal. There is an ofer at work, subsidised by the government, whereby we can buy a bike in order to cycle to work. I would pay half and the government would pay the other half. My half is paid in 12 monthly instalements direct from my pay cheque etc etc etc. Obviously this is a highly tempting offer.

The last time I bought a mountain bike was neigh on 18 year ago, a Kona Fire Mountain, and as such have no concept of what is a good brand nowadays, so am open for suggestions.

Primary use would be road work going to and from work, so ideally a fixed tail, but may have a dabble now and again so adjustable front suspension could be good.

Price range? Guessing upto £500 (£250 to me!).

Fire away guys and gals!

AndiT

• forum abuser
I'll tell you later.

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
  • "There's no cure for being a c#nt"
That's a good bike-to-work deal, Mini. I think the one we get offered is to have the money taken out of our gross salary (minimum £100 and then in £50 increments), so it is the same worth as a tax deductable expense would be if I was self employed. Your deal is stacks better (unless you are paying 50% tax for some reason). Is this a new scheme?

I am also interested in what people have to say about bikes from Halfords.

Oli

• obsessive maniac
I could be wrong, but I think Halfords can order virtually any bike for you under the cycle to work scheme.

Eddies

• forum hero
Theres a Hallfords in Leek... Go in an av a word!

chappers

• forum hero
I could be wrong, but I think Halfords can order virtually any bike for you under the cycle to work scheme.

e.g. if you want a ribble cycles racing bike the can order you one of those somehow...

Oli

• obsessive maniac
Presumably there's a whole load of sarcasm in that post Chappers?

I refer you to http://www.southerndownhill.com/forum/index.php/topic,105498.0.html a
and specifically the post by Rootes about halfway down.
Maybe Ribble would be too obscure, however I was only trying to be helpful.

bigd942

• addict
I've used this a couple of times at my work, lucky for me the company accountant is a cyclist so he was the one pushing for it, my understaning is it's basically the VAT and national insurance you save so it comes up to 40>50%. The only condition wth the company I work with was that it's paid in one hit, owner didn't want the exposure of someone buying a bike and leaving two weeks later letting him foot the bill, which I thought was fine.

Seems to be they push for complete bikes to be bought but my understanding is that components and accessories are fine, I've got groupsets, frames and even a set of rollers through it which saved me a bundle.

Personally I don't see the point in having any kind of mountain bike when you'll be sticking to the roads 99.9% of the time, a hybrid or full out road bike is the way to go, but if your after a hardtail then the Focus bikes at Wiggle are great value (http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/Cycle/7/Focus_Fat_Boy_2009/5360037565/) free postage and they do the cycle to work scheme, is £50 over your budget but worth the extra I think.

Dom

mini

• forum abuser
  • A not so

Personally I don't see the point in having any kind of mountain bike when you'll be sticking to the roads 99.9% of the time, a hybrid or full out road bike is the way to go, but if your after a hardtail then the Focus bikes at Wiggle are great value (http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/Cycle/7/Focus_Fat_Boy_2009/5360037565/) free postage and they do the cycle to work scheme, is £50 over your budget but worth the extra I think.

Dom

Cheers for the heads up, I'll add it to my short list. Kinda quite like the idea of buying a 'lesser' known brand.

Take you point about getting a hybrid or road bike, but I would like to atleast have the flexability. I've had a hybrid in the past (can't remember the make) but was much happier zipping about on the Kona that replaced it!

Any other brand suggestions? Or atleast what spec of components I should be looking for?

bigd942

• addict
to be honest at that price range you don't have too much choice, most bikes will be a mix of own brand bits (stem, saddle) and a mix of groupset bits, most companies spec slighter better drive train parts and drop the spec a little on bottom brackets and the like. I'm a roadie mostly and normally it's good strong reliable wheels I look for first and work from there, it's nice having nice things but Shimano 105 and Ultegra (off road Shimano Deore) would be fine for most club level cyclists, so if Deore is in the mix as a rear mech or shifters then the spec should be ok for you. Some would advise single speed or fixed but personaly I'd stick to gears, I did uni at Hallam and know Sheffield ain't in Holland.

If you feel better with a mountain bike then invest in some "slicks" for tyres, you'll find getting round town a bit easier and also one of those clip on rear mudguards. And remember to buy everything you need at the same time with the bike, no point getting the bike and the next week heading into Halfords again and buying lights, get your 50% off on everything you need to get started.

Dom

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero

There are quite a few small UK frame builders, some of whom will offer full bikes in your range.... I can only think of 24 Seven and Charge Bikes offhand. Asking on the biking forums would get you some good info...

bigd942

• addict

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero

mini

• forum abuser
  • A not so
Good work Dom, loving the look of the Cube! Kinda had my eye on this offering, again its a brand I'm not familiar with..

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_10001_catalogId_10151_productId_258459_langId_-1_categoryId_165499#dtab

... but still I guess you can't get a feel for them until you get out there and check them out in person.

bigd942

• addict
The brand Voodoo has been about for years, much like Diamond Back, Raleigh etc they're not as big as they were in the eary 90's, with most bikes now the frames are nearly all 7005 aluminium and most likely welded in the same factory. Take for example the Kinesis brand who pump out frames for Trek, Giant etc - at that price range if you like the frame colour and style then it should be fine.

What will make the biggest difference on a bike of that price is your comfort, so a good saddle and getting your position correct is key, being warm and dry riding to work on a cold morning doesn't have much to do with sitting on a £500 bike or a £1500 bike to be honest, slick tyres and a mudgaurd will make a big difference tho.

Dom

chappers

• forum hero
Presumably there's a whole load of sarcasm in that post Chappers?

no, dead serious, the lads in ribble can get you a bike through the halfords scheme. im sure that its all be explained (cant be arsed to read all that other stuff).
cant wait till mine is paid off, one new group set coming right up!

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal