UKBouldering.com

cycling to work in the rain... (Read 2971 times)

saltbeef

• forum hero
cycling to work in the rain...
October 01, 2008, 07:05:24 am
what the hell do you wear!? does anyone have any overrshoes recomendations or waterrproof trousers? do you not end up in a sweat bath?
god it sounds 'orrible out!

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#1 Re: cycling to work in the rain...
October 01, 2008, 07:35:13 am
Old clothes that it doesn't matter whether they get soaked through.

Although this morning I've decided I'm going to get t'bus (which actually takes almost twice as long as cycling).

jfw

• forum abuser
  • banananananana
#2 Re: cycling to work in the rain...
October 01, 2008, 08:19:15 am
keep trousers at work (already have dry safety shoes there)

then wear shorts until it gets to colder times of year  -then i wear waterproof trews.

my morning commute is downhill so i tend to wear rather than carry my shirt.

all the carrying is the warm stuff i had to wear in the morning being slogged back up the hill in the evening.

someone posted a link to some (goretex?) waterproof baggy shorts -

here is a link http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/Cycle/7/Gore_Alp_X_Gore-Tex_Baggy_Shorts/5360023931/

since they are Gore they cost 1 meeeeellion dollars (best part of £90)
« Last Edit: October 01, 2008, 08:26:21 am by jfw »

fatkid2000

• junky
#3 Re: cycling to work in the rain...
October 01, 2008, 08:29:10 am
Cycling in the rain is a pain in the arse especially if its your commute to work. Most employers have piss all facilities like showers etc so its even more of a mare.

I use a bike with full mud-guards which does help - keeps some of the road shit out of your dirve chain etc. However you still get soaked. Overshoes: castelli water-proof booties, gore make some, neoprene ones are waterproof but make for sweaty feet if its not that cold. The main problem is leaks - especially if they work their way loose around your ankle.  I've thought about gore-tec bike boots: Spesh have some coming out.

Gore-tex or similar top: Gore have a flash new one coming out (Bit like a mountaineering jacket - but cut slim for biking), There is also a new range of clothing from Mavic (wheel maker) also made from Gore-tex which looks good.Endura make good water-proof &  good value bike specific water-proofs. Montane make water-proofs that fold up really small if you get caught out etc

The leg section is a pain - I usually just wear full length leggings about from in the Summer and put up with wet legs. Again Endura have a set of water-proof leggings on the market - but they still make for a sweaty ride. I've though about getting a pair of gore-tex shorts but £90 seems alot for what is essentially 4 bits of material stitched together. What do others do?

Don't forget lights!!!!

fatdoc

• forum hero
  • old and fearful
    • http://www.pincheswall.co.uk
#4 Re: cycling to work in the rain...
October 01, 2008, 10:13:12 am
i admit if it's pissing it down i get in the van

if it's just a bit shite then i go for lycra, with thin longs over usual shorts, summer undershirt and then a intermediate weight assos top. you get wet, but stay warm. i use neo overshoes a lot, and summer gloves with assos lobster shells when it's cold.

i dont wear eVent / goretex on the road too much, i sweat too much.

having said all that, tonight it'll be lyrca then gore shorts over with eVent pace jacket if it doesnt stop damn raining for the weds mtb ride!

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal